Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, OH
good day,

I am fearful that the hard drive on my powerbook is inevitably going to die, for it is making that "lightsaber" noise and have performance issues when that happens...it goes through cycles.

what i would like to do is create an identical image of my HDD and place it on another...so to boot from this new external firewire drive, and not have to start from scratch w/ installing and the like.

i'm under the impression that this is possible, fill me in, thanks!

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, OH
firewire vs. usb 2.0?

i appreciate firewire much more than usb2.0, but i was thinking of buying a WD Passport usb2.0 drive...and i think i just read that it cannot be used as a bootable drive, firewire only...can anyone corroborate this? cause that means i get to spend another $30 on a 2.5in lacie :-/

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
khisayruou said:
Out of curiousity, why don't you just replace the hard drive in the powerbook instead of buying an external?

either way i'm sure he/she wants to back up his documents

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, OH
khisayruou said:
Out of curiousity, why don't you just replace the hard drive in the powerbook instead of buying an external?

it does sound like a silly solution, doesnt it. what i had planned was buy a new powerbook as soon as they come out, that way i can take the FW drive w/ me to the new powerbook....and leave this tibook to fend for itself. the more i think about it, the more logical it might be to simply replace this internal drive. point me to a reasonable 2.5in drive if you know of one. thanks once again.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
I see where your going with it. Might actually be a good idea to go with a FW if you need the extra space in the future. In any case...replacing the one you have now would require you to get an enclosure for the new 2.5 since you want to duplicate the contents (of course there are other ways, point is, it may become a hassle rather than just getting a FW)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.