Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snipper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
Hi,

TLDR; How can I create a LUT for Photoshop of just 22 colors? Or something similar in Affinity Photo?

plastic-caps-example-1536x518.jpg

I'm creating a portret, using 20 x 28 = 560 plastic bottle caps for 'pixels'. Because I knew that subtle colours would be hard to find, I made a photo with bright blue, red and green lighting and enhanced it even more, so the pixels would be easier to match with the bright colours of the bottle caps. I reduced the resolution to 20 x 28 pixels (image on the left).

I spend quite some time, searching for coloured bottle caps.. ?

In Photoshop, I created a matching colour table (.act file) with the menu Image > Mode > Indexed Color of 22 bottle cap colors, and used it on the image (on the right).

Although it's not bad, I want to experiment a bit more with the colours of the image, to find the optimal 'form' or 'translation' to coloured caps.

In order to do this, I now have to guess / do a blind adjustment, then make an indexed image of it, go back and repeat.

It would be a lot easier if I could immediately 'live' see what I am doing, via a LUT adjustment layer in Photoshop, but how can I make one? Is it even possible to use a LUT file this way into just 22 colours? Of course, I'm open for suggestions in other tools, like Affinity Photo.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.