Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Hello,

I'm wondering if it's still possible to create apps for iOS 5 to use on the 1st generation iPad (2010).

Would Xcode still support this, and would the device still allow the ability to receive the app?

I've never created an app before but I wanted to breathe new life into my old iPad by making a simple but useful application. I'm just not sure if all the tools required are still available.

Thanks!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
The latest version of Xcode does not officially or elegantly support anything older than iOS 9. With that said you can always go download older versions of Xcode, though you may also need to be on an older version of macOS, or run it through a virtual machine, depending on how far back you'll need to go

Reactions: Altis

Altis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
The latest version of Xcode does not officially or elegantly support anything older than iOS 9. With that said you can always go download older versions of Xcode, though you may also need to be on an older version of macOS, or run it through a virtual machine, depending on how far back you'll need to go
Thank you for your reply. I believe that Xcode 5 can be installed on a 2013 MacBook Air and program for iOS 5.

What would I need to make the device able to accept my program? Would I need a developers account with Apple?

Thanks again! I'm completely new to the whole concept and I realize that starting with legacy is probably not the easiest path.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thank you for your reply. I believe that Xcode 5 can be installed on a 2013 MacBook Air and program for iOS 5.

What would I need to make the device able to accept my program? Would I need a developers account with Apple?

Thanks again! I'm completely new to the whole concept and I realize that starting with legacy is probably not the easiest path.

Yeah. I’m sure you can also go newer than that. Xcode 7 should work too - maybe 8 and 9. No guarantees, but you know, just something that has iOS 5 in the deployment menu.

As for pushing the app to the device; You’ll need a developer account, yes. But you do not need a paid account. A free developer account is fine with some limitations. The limitations will not matter at all while you’re still making the app though and may not afterwards either depending on your workflow. Limitations are things like not being able to publish on the app store (which you can’t do targetting iOS 5 anywaY), and the app needing to be resigned more often (You’ll need to push the app to the iPad again from the Mac you developed it on regularly.)
That’s about all you need. Write in Xcode, use a wired connection between Mac and iPad and you can push your app to the iPad. First time you try will take a bit longer and there will be a prompt on the iPad asking you to “trust the developer”. It may sometimes not pop up; If it doesn’t it’ll be under general settings under “Profiles” or something like that - not sure of the exact wording for iOS 5. You’ll have to trust yourself from in there before Xcode can send the app over. The option will be there after you try the first time.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Yeah. I’m sure you can also go newer than that. Xcode 7 should work too - maybe 8 and 9. No guarantees, but you know, just something that has iOS 5 in the deployment menu.

As for pushing the app to the device; You’ll need a developer account, yes. But you do not need a paid account. A free developer account is fine with some limitations. The limitations will not matter at all while you’re still making the app though and may not afterwards either depending on your workflow. Limitations are things like not being able to publish on the app store (which you can’t do targetting iOS 5 anywaY), and the app needing to be resigned more often (You’ll need to push the app to the iPad again from the Mac you developed it on regularly.)
That’s about all you need. Write in Xcode, use a wired connection between Mac and iPad and you can push your app to the iPad. First time you try will take a bit longer and there will be a prompt on the iPad asking you to “trust the developer”. It may sometimes not pop up; If it doesn’t it’ll be under general settings under “Profiles” or something like that - not sure of the exact wording for iOS 5. You’ll have to trust yourself from in there before Xcode can send the app over. The option will be there after you try the first time.
Thank you, you've been very informative and helpful!

I'll post back with how it goes :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.