Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minvoyager

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2014
In order to do a clean install of Mojave, I'm creating a bootable USB. The instructions from Apple are here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201372

I have a downloaded copy of the Mojave installer in my Applications folder.

My Mac is running Sierra.

In the above instructions from Apple, I'm unclear on how to phrase the Terminal command, for Mojave when running Sierra, which Apple describes as follows:

fff.png

Can someone help me with the Terminal command that I need, regarding how to adapt the Mojave terminal command with the bit highlighted in the pink box above. It would help if you wrote out the entire command for me so I can copy it, rather than describe it to me, since my experience with Terminal is limited to copy and paste.

On my Mac, the Mojave install file is located here, as follows:

ggg.png

Thanks.

Last edited:

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
In order to do a clean install of Mojave, I'm creating a bootable USB. The instructions from Apple are here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201372

I have a downloaded copy of the Mojave installer in my Applications folder.

My Mac is running Sierra.

In the above instructions from Apple, I'm unclear on how to phrase the Terminal command, for Mojave when running Sierra, which Apple describes as follows:

View attachment 1807555
Can someone help me with the Terminal command that I need, regarding how to adapt the Mojave terminal command with the bit highlighted in the pink box above. It would help if you wrote out the entire command for me so I can copy it, rather than describe it to me, since my experience with Terminal is limited to copy and paste.

On my Mac, the Mojave install file is located here, as follows:

View attachment 1807558

Thanks.
My understanding is essentially that you would copy the El Capitan installer phrase in Terminal word for word except that you would change the naming from “El Capitan” to “Mojave” and “OS X” to “macOS”

Here’s what it should look like written out in your case:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app

Hopefully this works for you! If not let us know and hopefully someone else can chime in.

minvoyager

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2014
Hopefully this works for you! If not let us know and hopefully someone else can chime in.

Thanks, but unfortunately it did not work.

When I entered that into Terminal, it gave this error message, which curiously referred back to an Apple web link which is exactly the one given above, i.e. HT201372.

aaa.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.