Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Im looking to make a cover for my cd of my demo reel. Not for the case just one that would go on the actual cd so the dimensions would have to be round. I have photoshop and illustrator. Any tutorials or help would be much apreciated. Thanks

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Espnetboy3 said:
Im looking to make a cover for my cd of my demo reel. Not for the case just one that would go on the actual cd so the dimensions would have to be round. I have photoshop and illustrator. Any tutorials or help would be much apreciated. Thanks

I'm assuming you will buy labels for the CDs to run through a desktop printer. In the label package there should be a CD with templates on it or there should be a web site listed where you can download the templates. They are generally .eps files that have guidelines showing how the CD labels will fit on an 8.5 x 11, and guidelines showing the printed area (circles at the inside and outside cuts). Open this eps file in Photoshop or Illustrator and put it on it's own layer. Slip the art on a layer or layers under it, make sure that the artwork goes beyond the circles a little if goes to the edges (both inside and outside). Turn off the template layer when you print. You may also need something like CD Stomper to place the labels on the CDs, these packages may include labels as well.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
Fairly difficult to explain, but you really want to do this job in Illustrator, nothing else will do the job.

First of all design your artwork as a square, 120mm x 120mm, then you want to create a mask for it, this will vary for labels or in the professional world the type of disc.

The most common type of CD has a centre hole of 37.5mm and the diameter is 119.

Send me a PM if you want some printed out professionally, I'll be able to help out :)

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
My printer is the Epson ip4000 and it prints directly onto disk surfaces (as well as everything else). It came with software called CD-LabelPrint, but I know other software is available commercially, do a search and find a nice printer!!! (it is much better than printing onto sticky labels!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.