Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renecek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
Hello guys,
need your help. On Windows I used ConvertXtoDVD. As you know there is no version for MAC.
So I'm looking for some app like ConvertXtoDVD because I need create some DVDs to my car.

Example:
I have 3xmp4 files (every is 1 hour long). I want to create chapters in every file, so 1.mp4 will have 10 chapters, 2.mp4 will have 8 chapters etc..

The best for me will be demo/trial, if I will like it I'll buy it.
Thank you so much for your recommendations.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
First try Burn. I am not really a fan of Roxio, though I have it on my Mac. Never got it work properly when I needed. But it might be just me. ;)

P:S.: When I am faced with such task as you, I always turn to ConvertXtoDVD (on my Windows machines). My favorite software for many years.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Will Burn or Roxio converts videos to dvd with chapters?
I think that your video file will have to have the Chapter Markers already embedded. iMovie 11(v9) allows you to insert chapter markers, whereas the latest, iMovie10, doesn't.

Ulenspiegel's link deals mainly with iDVD, which doesn't come with Macs anymore. While it allows you do insert Chapters, they can only be at set time intervals, rather than at precise points in the video

Renecek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
No my movies don't have any chapters coz they are mkv or mp4 files. For example I have a music concert (1 hour) and I want to create 40 chapters (1 track = 1 chapter)
Or automatically add chapter after 2 minutes

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
You can manually add chapters. Fire up TextEdit, make plain text document. Then add time points for chapter markers with the following format:

00:00:00.000 chapter 1

The first pair of zeros is number of hours, second set indicates minutes, third is seconds, and after the decimal is milliseconds. This is followed by a space, then whatever you wish to name that chapter. Hit the return key and then repeat for next chapter.

Once you have made the chapter listing, save document as .txt

Fire up a remux program (i.e. Subler), open your MP4 video, drag the txt chapter list into the window. Save your changes to the MP4 with Subler. Done.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
That's very useful. I can now think of using iMovie10 and making chapters for iDVD. However, with Subler, I can't seem to be able to drag a text file in with the markers.

What does work is to use the Action button and choose "Insert chapters every X minutes", where X is the number of chapters you need, and then edit the timings in the panel below. Works a treat.
[doublepost=1454192773][/doublepost]
Currently I don't have iMovie
Is it not included with Macs these days?

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I have never had an issue adding a proper chapter .txt file using Subler. Make sure it is plain text (not even rich text) and that it was saved as a .txt

Renecek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
You can manually add chapters. Fire up TextEdit, make plain text document. Then add time points for chapter markers with the following format:

00:00:00.000 chapter 1

The first pair of zeros is number of hours, second set indicates minutes, third is seconds, and after the decimal is milliseconds. This is followed by a space, then whatever you wish to name that chapter. Hit the return key and then repeat for next chapter.

Once you have made the chapter listing, save document as .txt

Fire up a remux program (i.e. Subler), open your MP4 video, drag the txt chapter list into the window. Save your changes to the MP4 with Subler. Done.
Works absolutely perfect, thank you so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.