Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
A friend of mine is cutting video in iMovie on a 400Mhz Power Mac G4. She recently asked about burning DVDs. We were going to pick up a DVD burner for her birthday, but the issue is software. I know versions of iDVD before 6 don't support third-party burners, but iDVD 6 won't run on her G4.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good "starter" DVD authoring program that will run on a 400Mhz G4? Thanks in advance!

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com

This site is awesome for what you are looking for. I have used advice on this site to splice a DVD burner in my G4 PM. There is a freeware app listed on the site that will allow for native DVD burning,

Drives

There is also a trick on how to get iDVD to burn you a DVD.

Burn

Patchburn - makes it easy

It involves placing two images in your home folder, which will open an "easter egg" - you can now save out a dmg of your project and burn it from disk utility or toast.

hope it helps.

BTW, iDVD 5 allows burning to external (and 3rd party) drives, as well as saving out dmgs. if you have iDVD4, the previous links will help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.