Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
CPU upgrade on a mid-2012 13-inch MacBook Pro, upgrading it from its original dual-core Core i5-3210M CPU to a very odd quad-core Core i7-3615QE CPU. The "QE" series Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs are unique, as they are the only quad-core variants that share the same BGA footprint and pinout with the standard dual-core "M" series CPUs. The upgrade went without a hitch, and provided a huge increase in performance over the original CPU.

What do you think about it? You'll do it?

b251

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
Germany
I have access to a BGA rework station and want to try this by myself.

I have a defective MBP logic board laying around and wanted to test it before trying this on a functional device.

But whatever I do, the CPU does not come off. I preheated the board with 180 degrees Celsius for 2 minutes and exposed 280 degrees Celsius hot air to the CPU but it does not move in any way. I already applied a lot of flux around the CPU.

Does somebody know what’s the best method to desolder that chip?

Maybe @dosdude1 can further explain his soldering method in this video.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I have access to a BGA rework station and want to try this by myself.

I have a defective MBP logic board laying around and wanted to test it before trying this on a functional device.

But whatever I do, the CPU does not come off. I preheated the board with 180 degrees Celsius for 2 minutes and exposed 280 degrees Celsius hot air to the CPU but it does not move in any way. I already applied a lot of flux around the CPU.

Does somebody know what’s the best method to desolder that chip?

Maybe @dosdude1 can further explain his soldering method in this video.
It takes a bit of heating for the CPU to come off, usually around 4 - 5 minutes. You just need to periodically poke it lightly with a pair of tweezers while heating to determine if the solder is fully molten. Once it is, the chip can be removed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.