Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zen5656

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Hello!
I once updated to Lion but cannot find it in the mail. Does anybody remember how that worked 2011-2012? You can still buy a key in the apple.com store for the Mac App Store. Is this an universal multilanguage immage that works for as many Macs as I like?

Thanks

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
You can re-download the Lion install app if you previously purchased it and you still have the same Apple ID you used for the purchase. Launch the App Store app and check the Purchased tab. You can only re-download the Lion install app to a computer capable of running the Lion OS.

The Lion install app is universal and will work for any Mac capable of running Lion. When the Lion install app is downloaded it will automatically launch (IMPORTANT: After the install app completes running it will automatically be deleted from the Applications folder). Quit the install app and look in your Applications folder for "Install OS X Lion" app (it will be over 4 Gb). This would be a good time to make a bootable Lion USB thumb drive installer. Test the USB installer by booting from it. The bootable USB installer can be used to install Lion on other Macs.

Zen5656

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I updated from Snow Leopard to Lion back in the day. How did this work because there was no App Store on Snow Leopard as far as I remember?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I updated from Snow Leopard to Lion back in the day. How did this work because there was no App Store on Snow Leopard as far as I remember?
You would have to answer that question. You must have done it. You could try doing internet search for more details if needed. Lion has always been delivered via the internet and not on DVDs.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 had App Store access (it may have been through iTunes).
Here is the Apple Lion purchase page and it also has instructions on how it will be delivered.

Zen5656

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I cannot find an email, maybe it was a free update at the time?

Still one question left: if I buy Lion from the Apple and then App Store today: do I get a universal multilanguage installation image for every mac compatibly with Lion? I want to create a "installation usb stick"

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I cannot find an email, maybe it was a free update at the time?
Still one question left: if I buy Lion from the Apple and then App Store today: do I get a universal multilanguage installation image for every mac compatibly with Lion? I want to create a "installation usb stick"
I answered your questions in post #2. Reread it instead of having me retype it. I also recommended checking your Purchased tab in the App Store. Did you do that?

Zen5656

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
OK my roommate still has Lion installed and I was able to redownload it from his App Store on his old Macbook Pro 2010. I will redownload it (gave me warning that it is already installed) and then try it in parallels on my Retina MacBook Pro :)

Zen5656

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
It works :) But I had to download a few updates still although I downloaded the latest Lion build from the app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.