Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Open-Source-Norange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
So today, I just got my iPad mini 6, hooray, but now I've run into an issue.
I use Cricket Wireless as my cell provider and wanted to used a disused SIM card I had from them to kickstart the stat on this iPad. But now, even when I take out the SIM and put it back in, it never can get a wireless signal, even when I restart it. What could be causing this issue?

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I believe Cricket sims are tied via IMEI # to specific devise, you will need a new sim from Cricket.

Open-Source-Norange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
I believe Cricket sims are tied via IMEI # to specific devise, you will need a new sim from Cricket.
Ahh, I see. That most likely is it, cause my iPad recognizes the SIM card being there and even names it as "cricket", but doesn't do anything else with it.

Open-Source-Norange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
Now this is just getting weird…I got the new SIM card just now, but after putting it in and trying to activate it, it says that the device cannot be activated because Cricket is planning to purge 3g…it’s so weird.

Does anyone has any idea of how to deal with this?

Open-Source-Norange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
So far, I'm a bit baffled. I still get the message that my device is incompatible because of 3g networks shutting down (even though this is literally a 5g device), but after getting this. looked at in a store, I thought that maybe my device was locked. It wasn't, it always has been unlocked. So while I'm now gonna call Cricket to get something done, I still do wanna ask anyone here if they can see what the issue is.
Why can't I get Cricket to work on this model of iPad?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
So far, I'm a bit baffled. I still get the message that my device is incompatible because of 3g networks shutting down (even though this is literally a 5g device), but after getting this. looked at in a store, I thought that maybe my device was locked. It wasn't, it always has been unlocked. So while I'm now gonna call Cricket to get something done, I still do wanna ask anyone here if they can see what the issue is.
Why can't I get Cricket to work on this model of iPad?

Quick guess, the iPads are not officially supported on Cricket Wireless thus, they're using the wrong network settings/profile.

Note, AT&T (Cricket's parent company) can be picky about the devices you put the SIM card in so there may be an issue with the plan type as well. I checked Cricket's website and their data only plan (for mobile hotspot device) was 100GB/$55 or 20GB/$35.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
P.S.

Just tried my iPad Pro Air 4's IMEI and it was recognized for BYOD. My guess, your mini 6 may still be too new so the IMEI isn't whitelisted yet.

BYOP Bring Your Own Phone  Cricket Wireless.png

Open-Source-Norange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
P.S.

Just tried my iPad Pro Air 4's IMEI and it was recognized for BYOD. My guess, your mini 6 may still be too new so the IMEI isn't whitelisted yet.

View attachment 1931117
Ahh, I see. Damn, I probably gotta wait a while before my model gets noticed as a compatible device.

Either way, I'm just gonna use my phone as a hot spot for now. Not the best situation but meh, I can handle it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.