Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is a bit of a weird situation that I really hope someone can help with.

My wife's old MacBook Air 11" 2011 needed to be updated from 10.7 to Sierra.

I downloaded the installer and ran it. It promptly hit the "This installer is damaged error" but for some reason I couldn't access the Terminal from within the upgrading console because the Utilities menu was gone. I had hoped to be able to change the date and time to get rid of the error.

I rebooted and removed InstallInfo.plist from the Sierra installer's contents which was suggested could help.

This allowed the installer to run. However, after a while the installer stopped because "File system verify or repaired failed".

I tried to restart, hoping that I could go back to 10.7 because the installer hadn't come very far. It had only gone past the first 5-min part and then continued a few minutes into the long 30-minute installation sequence when it stopped.

But the computer is stuck in a reboot loop. It only goes into the Sierra installer upon restart and upon cold boot.

When the installer stopped the Utilities menu somehow appeared and let me access Terminal. I was hoping I could now copy over ~Documents to get a backup of some important stuff there.

Here's where it seems to get strange.

If I use diskutil list I see Macintosh HD listed as volume disk0s2 together with EFI and Recovery HD. I can also mount disk0s2.

But I am not able to see Macintosh HD if I go to /Volumes and use the ls command. Then only EFI, "Image Volume", Mc OS X Install DVD and OS X Base System appear.

Where has Macintosh HD gone and is there any way at all to access it in order to copy stuff from it?

Thanks heaps in advance
Philip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.