Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
I would love to see the numbers of how many AVPs were returned within the first 14 days. You can already find them on eBay and FB for under $3000, so folks are taking a > $1000 loss to unload them. The scalpers got absolutely pummeled on this one.
If something sounds too good to be true, (like folks taking a $1000+ loss to unload something that cost them $3500) it probably is. I’m sure there’s a non-zero number of people that have recently found this to be true :)

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
From the title I took the wrong meaning of "critical." I was imagining apps telling you they don't think your hair looks good today etc.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
Apple does not care about privacy or anything beyond “how can I sell more devices/services?”. And makes a speech accordingly to the market.
Apple needs more China than China needs Apple. Period.
Apple is nice to have, fancy in many markets but severely limited in most regions outside USA. Most Apple services just don’t work outside USA. You don’t realize until you live outside USA, check the compatibility page of Apple per country and you will see that most limitations in most countries are not due to “censorship”.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Just because Tencent develops and offers an app, it does not mean that the app is available in China.

I thought Tencent had controlling interest in many online gambling apps and sites. Although a majority of them were not available domestically in China.

ybbbbbbb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2021
乌鲁木齐
China makes no false claims about controlling all technology that enters the region. That’s why their rules are fairly simple to follow.

The EU on the other hand…

I guess the big difference is, China’s not afraid to say, “We don’t want Facebook.” The EU wants SO badly to say that, but they’d rather have Facebook and then fine them. The EU is focused more on the money. China didn’t want WhatsApp, so there’s WeChat. The EU lacks the ability to define a state sponsored solution, so they have to mold what exists into something they’d prefer.
A few days ago, Apple revealed that vision pro will be sold in China. Tencent immediately said that it would develop a heavyweight vision pro application. I think this software will be used in China. It is likely to be Tencent Video, because foreign Disney, Netflix and Apple tv are not available in China. Apple urgently needs a video application to let Chinese consumers feel the most commonly used scenario of vision pro (Tencent Video has more than 100 million paying users in China)

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
The major Chinese apps are definitely required for the success of Vision Pro in China.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.