Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
No, I've never used that one. Well, I lie. I did use it when it first came out, but then realised that there was no point as I was working from a tiny little screen in all manner of mixed and changing light. When you have the option of editing in a light balanced room, with a large, calibrated monitor, why would you?

I do realise that some people don't have this luxury and only have a mobile device to edit on. I would never choose this as an option though. If they could see their images on a large and calibrated screen, they may better understand why!

That is not having a dig at them either, I'm just expressing my opinion here.

Of course! Just wanted to clarify.

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I did crop it a bit. I’m wondering if the noise is from increasing the blue saturation a bit too much in post, any tips for the best way of fixing that? It was shot in raw, and edited in Lightroom.

Hmm, what I do is use a local adjustment brush with reduced clarity and sharpness, then paint over the bits that are not to be sharp to remove a lot of it. I have varying degrees of success with it.

Here's some idea of how simple and quick this can be to fix in Lightroom Classic. I don't use Lightroom CC, so have no idea whether these same features are available there.

To see your over and under exposed sections of an image, hit the letter "J" and two triangles inside of white squares will become evident in the histogram area, like this. Solid blue will indicate under-exposed parts and solid red will indicate over-exposed sections of your image. Under or over-exposed sections contain no detail to them.

warnings.jpeg

Keep in mind that when you are painting out your selections, go over the areas you want to select, then refine the edge in a manner of ways, according to what you are trying to do.

For the wingtip here selected to reduce the blown out highlights as indicated by the red bits, you can see it is over selected by quite a bit. I increased the exposure here, so you could clearly see the selection made.

wingtip.jpeg

Refining this selection through the quick and easy use of the Luminosity Masking built into Lightroom Classic and then making a -2 adjustment to the whites results in no more blown out highlights there!

highlight_recovery.jpeg

The reddish pink section shown on this following image is the mask made, with the extreme highlights only selected.

wingtip2.jpeg

To mask off the sky, I painted the entire sky section with some severe overlaps of the bird, then used the colour selection dropper to select the blue of the sky. Applying some dehaze, sharpness and noise adjustments got rid of the noise in the sky easily.

sky.jpeg

Reactions: Cheese&Apple

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Here's some idea of how simple and quick this can be to fix in Lightroom Classic. I don't use Lightroom CC, so have no idea whether these same features are available there.

To see your over and under exposed sections of an image, hit the letter "J" and two triangles inside of white squares will become evident in the histogram area, like this. Solid blue will indicate under-exposed parts and solid red will indicate over-exposed sections of your image. Under or over-exposed sections contain no detail to them.

View attachment 762935

Keep in mind that when you are painting out your selections, go over the areas you want to select, then refine the edge in a manner of ways, according to what you are trying to do.

For the wingtip here selected to reduce the blown out highlights as indicated by the red bits, you can see it is over selected by quite a bit. I increased the exposure here, so you could clearly see the selection made.

View attachment 762933

Refining this selection through the quick and easy use of the Luminosity Masking built into Lightroom Classic and then making a -2 adjustment to the whites results in no more blown out highlights there!

View attachment 762938

The reddish pink section shown on this following image is the mask made, with the extreme highlights only selected.

View attachment 762937

To mask off the sky, I painted the entire sky section with some severe overlaps of the bird, then used the colour selection dropper to select the blue of the sky. Applying some dehaze, sharpness and noise adjustments got rid of the noise in the sky easily.

View attachment 762943

These are worthy of the How you did it thread mate...

Reactions: Cheese&Apple

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
:)
I just posted this in the POTD thread, but I find I never get much criticism there and would like to improve more so please give me your comments.

Flight by mrkramer, on Flickr

It was taken with a D750 with a 70-300mm lens on it
Shutter speed 1/4000
F8
ISO 640
The bird was flying directly overhead and moving fairly quickly so I didn't have a lot of time to set up the shot, and had to shoot handheld.
@mrkramer if you haven't already, make sure you use the "masking" option when sharpening in Lr - it works wonders to remove noise from a soft and out of focus background:
  • Apply noise reduction as needed
  • Sharpen as needed (don't over sharpen)
  • Hold down the Option key (Alt on a PC) and drag the Masking slider to the right - the overlay will go from white to black as you drag the slider to the right. As you do this you'll be able to see and determine the point where you're sharpening the edges of your subject but not noise in the background

Hmm, try again... we have all been woken up to it a bit more of late..
Hey, speak for yourself Ken...I'm retired:)

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
:)
@mrkramer if you haven't already, make sure you use the "masking" option when sharpening in Lr - it works wonders to remove noise from a soft and out of focus background:
  • Apply noise reduction as needed
  • Sharpen as needed (don't over sharpen)
  • Hold down the Option key (Alt on a PC) and drag the Masking slider to the right - the overlay will go from white to black as you drag the slider to the right. As you do this you'll be able to see and determine the point where you're sharpening the edges of your subject but not noise in the background

Hey, speak for yourself Ken...I'm retired:)

lol.. ??? not following... was meaning we have been woken up to peoples desire for critique... did you quote the wrong post here? :) did you mean this in response to my "should have used one of my suits NOT from the drycleaning bag" image? How crumpled is that suit?!?!

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
lol.. ??? not following... was meaning we have been woken up to peoples desire for critique... did you quote the wrong post here? :) did you mean this in response to my "should have used one of my suits NOT from the drycleaning bag" image? How crumpled is that suit?!?!
I can't answer this Ken, I'm still half asleep and will stay that way until it's time to open a bottle of wine for dinner. Come to think of it, being retired, I may just open that bottle for lunch. :D

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
OK, rare moment. Posting a picture of one of my DDs.

There is a back story around this box she is in. Basically Amazon over packaged an item and so little one decided to make herself a "comfy place". She packed it out with pillows and she curls up in it to read. Then she worked out she would use the flap as a desk by building support under it. This is me grabbing a shot of her using her new art workstation.

I have already had great feedback from one who walks amongst us and I have acted on it but looking for any further criticism anyone wants to level at me... have at it peeps...

L1005542-Edit.jpg

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland

There is a back story around this box she is in. Basically Amazon over packaged an item and so little one decided to make herself a "comfy place". She packed it out with pillows and she curls up in it to read. Then she worked out she would use the flap as a desk by building support under it. This is me grabbing a shot of her using her new art workstation.

I have already had great feedback from one who walks amongst us and I have acted on it but looking for any further criticism anyone wants to level at me... have at it peeps...

View attachment 763105

Honestly? I wouldn’t change a thing, that’s an excellent shot!

One thing you should do is print it :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

View attachment 763105
Beautiful shot. I remember when my own daughter loved doing things a bit like that. It goes so quickly.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
There is a back story around this box she is in. Basically Amazon over packaged an item and so little one decided to make herself a "comfy place". She packed it out with pillows and she curls up in it to read.
So… she is a cat?

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Of course the main criticism is why not buy her a desk instead of a box?

Because you spent the money on a Leica/Sony/Fuji/Olympus/Panasonic/Red camera? :p

Couldn't resist! It's a lovely photo.

She has a desk! she has everything she needs/wants.... but decided to make a comfy place out of a cardboard box...

Thx, I like it...

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
First off, Ken @kenoh , I think you have managed a great job of highlighting your daughter in her own world with grace. The use of light differences is gorgeous, verging on masterful. Doesn't matter to me if that was accomplished in-camera or in PP. The result has interest and finesse. I'm not a people photographer, but have that as one of my upcoming modules in my Diploma course! So, I can't offer any constructive criticisms there, sorry.

---------------------

One from me for some constructive criticisms from you all, if I can? Thanks in advance for all helpful inputs received.

I spotted this tiny moss in the gully with the Japanese Maples and was fascinated that it actually had a leaf shape of Japanese Maple-like appearance! Then I had the genius idea (see what I did there? Apple forum, genius, pfft, my talents are wasted on you people :p) to see if I could capture both the tiny moss and some Autumn colours at the same time, whilst playing with a shallow depth of field.

So, that was my thinking and below is the result, which sits uneasy to me for several reasons.
  1. It appears to be a tale of two images at conflict, rather than working together.
  2. Maybe the inclusion of more Autumn colours could have worked better?
  3. A slightly deeper DOF with a slightly stopped down aperture (f/5.8 maybe) could have possibly brought more attention to the moss?
  4. A different plane of focus, on a diagonal, going from lower right to mid left of frame, through the use of a tilt-shift lens (or even PP) would be better in regards to visual interest?
Please, have at it and give me your assistive feedback. It's appreciated.

Canon 550D, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Multi-segment Metering, Aperture Priority
ISO 500, 50mm, f/2.8, 1/60

_MG_6570-X3.jpg

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
First off, Ken @kenoh , I think you have managed a great job of highlighting your daughter in her own world with grace. The use of light differences is gorgeous, verging on masterful. Doesn't matter to me if that was accomplished in-camera or in PP. The result has interest and finesse. I'm not a people photographer, but have that as one of my upcoming modules in my Diploma course! So, I can't offer any constructive criticisms there, sorry.

---------------------

One from me for some constructive criticisms from you all, if I can? Thanks in advance for all helpful inputs received.

I spotted this tiny moss in the gully with the Japanese Maples and was fascinated that it actually had a leaf shape of Japanese Maple-like appearance! Then I had the genius idea (see what I did there? Apple forum, genius, phht, my talents are wasted on you people :p) to see if I could capture both the tiny moss and some Autumn colours at the same time, whilst playing with a shallow depth of field.

So, that was my thinking and below is the result, which sits uneasy to me for several reasons.
  1. It appears to be a tale of two images at conflict, rather than working together.
  3. A slightly deeper DOF with a slightly stopped down aperture (f/5.8 maybe) could have possibly brought more attention to the moss?
  4. A different plane of focus, on a diagonal, going from lower right to mid left of frame, through the use of a tilt-shift lens (or even PP) would be better in regards to visual interest?

_MG_6570-X3.jpg

OK,

So, I think the only thing needed here iis to get the rest of the green flora in focus, then it is an image of the flora on the rock.

The saturation is fine, the light is lovely as we expect from you, I think the top and bottom is it needs a bit more DoF as right now the large area of green in the centre is too distracting.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
OK,

So, I think the only thing needed here iis to get the rest of the green flora in focus, then it is an image of the flora on the rock.

The saturation is fine, the light is lovely as we expect from you, I think the top and bottom is it needs a bit more DoF as right now the large area of green in the centre is too distracting.
I completely missed this response from you Ken, so sorry! Thanks for that. Have to agree there's not enough of the moss in focus for it to become evident that it is the subject.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

OK,

Been deliberating this one. Not got much, I like it

OK, first thing is that this doesnt portray your bad guy image. You look like a nice bloke in this. :p

1. I am wondering if framing-wise, it would maybe benefit from being a wider crop so that more of your shadow is in view and so introduces more negative space to add tension.
2. Can you liquid brush out the creases in your stomach
3. Maybe just brighten it a bit.

Thats all I have really... sorry...
[doublepost=1528313566][/doublepost]
As you know I'm no people shooter, but I always think you do a great job. Even if the model is a bit iffy in this one!

You should post one of the how I did it tutorials. You don't need any critique.

I have asked for that already... its in progress and I agree his skills are more tuned than my eyes so I am struggling to come up with any criticism of any value.

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
Yeah, it's a nothing photo really (new facebook profile), but I just wanted to pop into this thread, say 'Hi' and post a selfy so you guys could pick on me. :D

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

I spotted this tiny moss in the gully with the Japanese Maples and was fascinated that it actually had a leaf shape of Japanese Maple-like appearance! Then I had the genius idea (see what I did there? Apple forum, genius, pfft, my talents are wasted on you people :p) to see if I could capture both the tiny moss and some Autumn colours at the same time, whilst playing with a shallow depth of field.

_MG_6570-X3.jpg
I think it would have worked a lot better with a wider depth of field. I do like how there are a bit of the fall colors from the leaves on the ground in the background, but since it is primarily a picture of the moss I think it needs more of it in focus. Admittedly I struggle with the same issue when I shoot similar pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.