Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2001
This is my new site to show off some 3d work I've been doing. I'm a student, so don't expect some 'Finding Nemo' quality stuff. Before you go, sadly, Safari in Panther can not load images properly on this site. Camino, Firebird, Internet Explorer all work (as does Safari in Jaguar).

Well I hope you like it:

http://www.tyui.com

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Wierd...I tried to load your site's flash pop-up in Mozilla 1.6, and it went into an infinite loop of "LOADING CONFIG". I had to click on the loop and relaunch for everything to load fine.

Now...about the large images, I clicked on the Earth one, and the scroll flash-pop-up is hard to work with. I think you went overboard on Flash programming there, since with one click, you can both view the thumbnail, view the planet from different areas, and move the little window to the other side of the flash window.

Now, what's the image URL? Oh, here it is: Click on the square at the lower right corner and-- whoa, a pop-up, but this one has the image in full, plus a link to the image. Click on the link -- wow. Another pop-up. Do I need all these windows? (That was my reaction, more or less, during that short flash browsing. :p)

Main menu: My options are:
[ 1 ] Early work
[ 2 ] Work in progress
[ 3 ] Best images
I need to click on either [ 1 ], [ 2 ], or [ 3 ] to view the sub-menus...once I'm there, I can get information on the images etc. without clicking.

I can tell you have some solid intentions for the site, but there are specific areas that need to be more well developed. Keep working on that flash, sunny.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
the navigation definitely seems unintuitive. it's also really hard to read everything on my monitor (1280x1024)...

i'd hate to say this, but perhaps you should start over from scratch, keeping in mind simplicity and ease of use, locked in to a good design...

also, there really isn't a point to sharing early work vs. best images. people look through your portfolio to see your best work.

ps there is a section on macrumors for web design

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2001
It's a bit strange, I've talked to some people who listed ease of navigation as a strong point, others hate it.

EDIT: Most of the hits I get are from computers with a res less than 1024x768, so the text shows fine there.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I get an error message that says it won't display properly in Safari, it opens and then I can't view any of the images.

Not only that, I then have to close safari down, cause it locks everything up.

D

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I get this message using Safari under 10.2.8

This webpage does not display correctly in Safari, please use another browser

some of the menu works though, but difficult to navigate...some cool stuff though

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2001
Yes, I have set up that java script to tell you that it won't work. It's not safari telling you, it's my site's code. Safari just can't handle this site, disappointing really.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It worked fine on a G4 dual 450 using IE. I was able to navigate easily. The popups worked nicely. Impressed by your work. Very nice, looks like you have a bright future ahead.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
I like the navigation ... takes some time to get use to but it's innovative ...

Clearly the site isn't designed for the good looking to find research for a homework assignment ...

it's an online portfolio ... and anyone thats going to want to hire you will probably like the innovation.

Your going to get web-design purists that hate the computer-like interface ... but i think it's quite cool.

Note:

make it easier to get in contact with you ... the only place i see your email address is the first page, and i found no way of getting to that page again,

i suggest having a contact link in your main menu, if you want a job ... you want people to easily be able to get in touch with you.

Your font choice ... i would stick to san serif simple fonts ... since your already using pixely fonts ... would be best ... rather then sand bar - type fonts you use
it will make it look more uniform i think.

and the white on white makes it hard to read on your first page ...

i would definitely loose your early work... employers don't care how you developed .. only art schools care to see how you progressed. Nor do employers care what your working on, if it's not for them.

the things i mentioned are purly cosmetic and really don't effect your entire design ... good show all around

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2001
Thanks Rev, point taken and due to overwhelming demand, the early work section has been removed.

isus

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2004
i like it.

and for the people saying how small it is:
the majority of computer users use 800x600. if not that, then they use 1024x768.

however, maybe you could build 3 seperate sites later on, and let people pick which they enter.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I think the navigation is not very useful. If you get used to it over time maybe - but for the masses, it's not a very good interface.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
I love your work, but the interface on the website is a bit iffy. I don't do much website programming, but do you think there is a way to do it so that all browsers can more easily access the content on your website. The java(script?) is flashy but do you think that its necessary to get around your website? Something to think about anyway. :D :cool:

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by coopdog
It's Great! I wish I knew how to make a site like that! How long did it take you to make that and what did you use?:)

looks like flash to me

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2001
I didn't make the internal workings on the site I just designed the images/interface. It is made with flash and uses PHP too.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Well you can count Opera as another browser that won't work with the site. Kinda weird though, since I have never had any problems with flash in Opera before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.