Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Dane D. said:
Working on company website, need feedback. Caught in-between sales reps and creative staff. Not "live" yet address is:

http://www.odelladvertising.com/Teststuff/OdellWebsite8242005/index.html

please be honest, I am the web production person caught in the middle of two groups of people; sales and artists.
nice look to the site, but navigating can be a little confusing. It may seem kinda boring, but try going for a separate menu next to "home" and "portfolio" about the services the company provides. To have to search that deeply within to find them isn't very user friendly.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
1996!!!
Go Image Ready!!!

We still use OS 9.2.2, G4/450/467, Photoshop v5.5, ImageReady v2.0, and GoLive v 6.0. My bosses are stuck in the mind set of "print" media and dictated the look and feel of site. I just put it all together according to their wishes. Believe me I wish I had more input but I don't. They hand the thumbnails off to me and I assemble with the tools I have.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Overall, its clean - but its a bit bulky at times downloading all the bits. Also, on the graphic on the left, the white oval section on the right side isn't white and doesn't match the rest of the page - is that on purpose?

D

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
I'm not really sure what things on the pages are links or just text. You should really make a distinction between what items are plain text and which are images and which are links.

As a general rule, anything that is text should not be represented as an image. On pages like the Portfolio page, there are a list of items, yet they are all images. That's going to be hell to update and would be a lot easier to work with if it were plain text.

The design would benefit greatly from standard xHTML and CSS.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Thank you

I'm not really sure what things on the pages are links or just text.

Why is it that we as designers have to use what I call the ' sledgehammer' approach in our designs. Lets give people some credit for figuring out things on their own. I can appreciate the desire to build websites with CSS and xHTML, but I do not know anything about them nor do I want learn them. I'll let that to someone else who understands that and has the desire. That is why I use GoLive, so I do not have to write code. Sure GoLive is not perfect but for our needs it works fine. As for the ability to make changes, I keep the original Photoshop artwork in layers with all the text on separate layers as text. All my slices are saved and when in ImageReady, it is only a matter of making sure the changes work by checking slices and the respective edited layers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.