Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poconojoe57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Hi all, sorry for the long post.
I have a legal situation where someone is being accused of "tampering with evidence" by altering a photo.
The accused used her iPhone 4, took a photo, then cropped it and her phone saved it as a .png.
The accusers claim the photo was tampered with because it has the .png extension.
I am not in possession of the exact phone in question so I tried to repeat this on another iPhone 4.
I did discover that when I cropped a photo that it does indeed save the cropped photo as .png.
I was looking for some solid proof to back up my discovery. Something better than just my description.
I was hoping to get something from Apple that would verify this for proof, perhaps an article describing cropped photos. I could not find any such description, so I came here seeking help or any suggestions.
I'm desperate because she is facing possible jail time because of these incompetent, possibly corrupt small town "police".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.