Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Okay, this is the last day of September. For those of you who are interested, the new 19-inch iMac is rumored for release beginning in October, so it could come any day now. . .

EDIT:

17-inch iMac thread

You know it's funny how everyone seemed to doubt that there would be a 17" iMac back then, and look what happened! :p

mr evil brkfast

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
It would be great to see a new imac 19" but...It could really use a speed update as well it has been almost 10 months since the last update. New video card would be great as well.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by mr evil brkfast
What about a new 19" widescreen display at the same time?

Or preferrably BEFORE this alleged 19" iMac...

Apple had better make that base wider to visually balance it!

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by Hemingray

Or preferrably BEFORE this alleged 19" iMac...

Apple had better make that base wider to visually balance it!

The 19"iMac is further down the road. Whats coming up is, I think, a 19" Studio Display.

To modify/enlarge the iMac base, they would need to redesign the interior. It will take a while to do this. Maybe Jan.03 feat. 19" along with other upgrades?

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Re: Cross your fingers for that 19-inch iMac!

Originally posted by Shrek
Okay, this is the last day of September. For those of you who are interested, the new 19-inch iMac is rumored for release beginning in October, so it could come any day now. . .

the day a 19 inch iMac comes out before apple brings out a 19inch LCD for its powermacs is the day monkeys fly out of my butt

tyler

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Re: Re: Cross your fingers for that 19-inch iMac!

Originally posted by TyleRomeo

the day a 19 inch iMac comes out before apple brings out a 19inch LCD for its powermacs is the day monkeys fly out of my butt

tyler

Well, they could release a 19-inch iMac and a 19-inch Studio Display at the same time, you know. :p

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
In my opinion, apple would have to do some redesigning on the iMac to fit a 19" on there and not make it look like a beast, and a silly beast at that. And I don't think apple is ready to make any changes like that to the imac yet.

Inhale420

macrumors regular
May 4, 2002
if apple made a 19" imac instead of concentrating on decent powermacs, then they are more out of touch than i originally realized.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>(1984) but what do i know... im just a kid

Yeah, well, so are most of us when guessing what Apple's new sh** will have inside, meaning, specs.

I'm guessing no 19 inch iMac until 2004 minimum. I think if Apple releases a 19 inch iMac right now, it may kill PowerMac sales, as Inhale vaguely pointed out. Not only that, but I think Apple would increase the screen size of their Powerbooks to 16.x inches and their iBook to 14.x inches. And even though the LCD prices have been going down, especially for plasma screens, I think it would be best to wait so that everyone can afford bigger screens.

Apple won't just go out of their way to announce "Well, we've made a bigger screen iMac at the request of those who don't like/can't afford PowerMacs." C'mon. If need be, get an older/cheap PowerMac and get a 19 inch from elsewhere for about $700 or $900.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Calm Down, KC. Take it lightly now. PowerMacs will still be top of the line, regardless if there is a new iMac soon. PowerMacs will still have dual processors, room for four hard drives, support for dual monitors and gigabit ethernet. PowerMacs will still be professional workstations regardless. A 19-inch screen doesn't make a computer professional. So calm down and take it lightly. :)

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
it would be nice to see a 19" imac, but i would like to see the other imac prices decreased (if possible again) so more average computer users would be able to afford it....and maybe discontinue the low end imac without the speakers (and get the combo drive imac to replace it)

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
I wouldn't mind seeing a 19" iMac but I agree that the base would need to be larger. I am sure that the engineers are well aware of this and would plan accordingly.

I have been considering a 17" iMac but I am waiting for the next rev with a faster processor and possibly improved graphics, but if a 19" comes out I would definitely be interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.