Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Crossover 23.7 is being released on Monday. It will include GPTK 1.1 and will include fixes to run many games including Fallout 4.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
this may be the biggest benefit for the gaming community in this forum in history..

apple and codeweavers working together..

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
Reactions: Irishman

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
This is what I keep telling Homy. The future of Mac gaming is compatibility layers not native ports. macOS is just not big enough to warrant putting in the work for a Mac version, a Mac version hardly anyone is gonna buy that is a nightmare to make due to Apple forcing everyone to use a limited proprietary API only available on their platforms. Versus a compatibility layer where the developer can just focus on one version of their game and then tweak the compatibility layer. It's how the Steam Deck has had such amazing support and compatibility from all developers since Valve made it so easy.

It's why the announcement of GPT was such a big deal, not for the porting tools in it, but for the compatibility layer in it. Apple accidently solved the Mac gaming problem during WWDC without even realizing it, to the point the engineering executives were shocked to see so many regular users using GPTK as Wine running their favorite games immediately.

I think seeing that made them rethink things, and extend an olive branch to Codeweavers. My dream is that Apple buys CrossOver and just makes it a part of macOS. No more having to look up tutorials of GPTK or if a game you like will run on Mac, just turn the Mac on, install the game, and go.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
My dream is that Apple buys CrossOver and just makes it a part of macOS. No more having to look up tutorials of GPTK or if a game you like will run on Mac, just turn the Mac on, install the game, and go.

To think it will be that easy to play games on Mac with a compatibility layer is just a dream. The proof is Proton and Crossover themselves. To imply that everything simply works and the experience will be even greater than native ports is simply not true. As a BetterTester for Crossover I know it’s a cat-and-mouse game. New updates fix broken games but at the same time broke other games, both in Crossover and Proton. So the gamers always lack peace of mind not knowing if the next update will make or break things. Not to mention the performance penalty that comes with compatibility layers in many cases.

At the same time we have many old Mac ports which still work fine in Rosetta. There are many games like Shadow of Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex MKD, Bioshock Remastered 1-2, XCOM 2, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Alien Isolation, Mad Max and Metro Exodus that don’t work in Crossover but run perfectly as native ports. Many games with anti-cheat still are not supported in Crossover. OpenGL games like Wolfenstein games don’t work at all because Crossover only supports up to OpenGL 2.1.

There are several examples of Proton updates that have broken working games and many games still don’t work or have bad performance. Many games on www.protondb.com have ”Kaputt” or ”Bronze” status.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/k2bn3x

Don’t really understand your point about Mac ports ”hardly anyone is gonna buy that is a nightmare to make”. We have seen several examples of developers who don’t think it’s a nightmare and have worked with Apple to bring their games to Mac. We have several upcoming games. If people hardly buy Mac games it’s not because of the native ports. Such people wouldn’t buy the games anyway. Buying games on Steam also gives you both Mac and PC versions so with one purchase you get two games, like Lies of P, NMS, Snowrunner, Stray and more. So getting two native games that works great is always more appealing than one native for PC with bugs and worse performance on Mac through a compatibility layer, if it would work at all.

I guess it all comes down to how much you game. Some like me are happy with fewer native games and some want more games even if they have worse performance and more bugs through a compatibility layer. At least as it is today we have both options. We can buy a native game or use Crossover/AGPTK. Without native ports we would only have a half-baked solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrashKC

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
There are several examples of Proton updates that have broken working games and many games still don’t work or have bad performance. Many games on www.protondb.com have ”Kaputt” or ”Bronze” status.

1000 Borked and Bronze games out of over 10,000 on Steam that are Gold or Platinum, and most of the games that don't work use an anticheat that block running the game on any non-Windows OS.

This is from 2020 and got marked as solved lmao. Plus Proton lets you use any version, not necessarily the newest version, so if a Proton update breaks compatibility, guess what, you can just roll it back with a push of a button.

Also from 2020. Also again, you can just roll back updates if it doesn't work.

This is from March and got fixed, and was a problem exclusive to Manjaro.

This was in June and got fixed, and was not a problem with Proton but with Mesa, which is a Graphics library for APIs like Vulkan. Completely unrelated to Proton.

That's Ubisoft lmao. They break literally everything PC related. I'd like to remind you they've broken their own DRM multiple times and had to rely on cracked copies of their games to fix that issue.

Also this is from February and last I checked that also got fixed since Ubisoft's games are mostly listed as Gold in ProtonDB. Are you noticing a trend here? Everything you linked got fixed quickly, since the means to fix it was very easy that it required little to no input from the developer.

2020 again! Bro you are really grasping at straws trying to paint compatibility layers as unreliable that you're trying to pull SOLVED PROBLEMS from 2020 to try to prove your point.

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
It’s interesting that Crossover is capable of shipping with Game Porting Toolkit 1.1. Thanks for sharing!

From Codeweavers’ perspective it’s an absolute win since they can leverage Apple’s work and increase the number of games (and presumably gamers) supported.

From Apple’s it seems like an interesting experiment. It could result in more Mac sales and generate more interest in Mac gaming, thereby improving the ROI for developers considering building a native port. Or it could just mean that developers point to Crossover when gamers request a Mac version of their game.

Apple may still need a better carrot, though. “Write once, run everywhere (on Apple devices)” is tempting, but it’s still too early to measure its impact on sales, lifetime customer value, etc. Regardless, I suspect major games will continue trickling out for Apple devices for 5+ years before experiencing any hockey stick like growth. Meanwhile, Apple can buy time by supporting Mac gamers through Crossover.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
1000 Borked and Bronze games out of over 10,000 on Steam that are Gold or Platinum, and most of the games that don't work use an anticheat that block running the game on any non-Windows OS.

This is from 2020 and got marked as solved lmao. Plus Proton lets you use any version, not necessarily the newest version, so if a Proton update breaks compatibility, guess what, you can just roll it back with a push of a button.

Also from 2020. Also again, you can just roll back updates if it doesn't work.

This is from March and got fixed, and was a problem exclusive to Manjaro.

This was in June and got fixed, and was not a problem with Proton but with Mesa, which is a Graphics library for APIs like Vulkan. Completely unrelated to Proton.

That's Ubisoft lmao. They break literally everything PC related. I'd like to remind you they've broken their own DRM multiple times and had to rely on cracked copies of their games to fix that issue.

Also this is from February and last I checked that also got fixed since Ubisoft's games are mostly listed as Gold in ProtonDB. Are you noticing a trend here? Everything you linked got fixed quickly, since the means to fix it was very easy that it required little to no input from the developer.

2020 again! Bro you are really grasping at straws trying to paint compatibility layers as unreliable that you're trying to pull SOLVED PROBLEMS from 2020 to try to prove your point.

You missed my point completely "bro". It's the continuing pattern with every new update to Crossover and Proton. It's obvious you don't have much experience of Crossover at least.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
You missed my point completely "bro". It's the continuing pattern with every new update to Crossover and Proton. It's obvious you don't have much experience of Crossover at least.

Again: just roll the update back if it breaks anything. It is not hard. You can select what version of Proton to use from a dropdown menu including community created versions like GloriousEggroll's Proton edits. Whisky on macOS lets you configure your bottle with a different version of GPTK too.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Again: just roll the update back if it breaks anything. It is not hard. You can select what version of Proton to use from a dropdown menu including community created versions like GloriousEggroll's Proton edits. Whisky on macOS lets you configure your bottle with a different version of GPTK too.

I'm not going to double-post anymore so you have my answer in the other thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.