Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dexter11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I am looking to increase the 2GB of RAM in my macbook to 4GB - I am a little wary of paying for Apple RAM cos of the price and found the following

Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C5 200-Pin SODIMM Dual Channel Kit

Has anyone used this before and how good is it?

Cheers

kg1984

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
Anything from Crucial will be fine - they have a compatibility guarantee.

I bought the same kit from them for my MacBook - no problems at all.

Do it!

DanBUK

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I am looking to increase the 2GB of RAM in my macbook to 4GB - I am a little wary of paying for Apple RAM cos of the price and found the following

Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C5 200-Pin SODIMM Dual Channel Kit

Has anyone used this before and how good is it?

Cheers

Put 4GB (2x 2GB) into my housemates new MBP last night. Works great. I use it also for my PB and my girlfriend put 2GB into her MacBook- no problems.

If you use the computer-finder in the top right corner, it will give you the right ram and guarantee it too!

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Yeah, I just found a deal on that Crucial 4gb kit from buy.com for $70 after rebate. Works fine in my new black book 2.4.

Hardcoredan52

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Sorry to steal the thread.. but hearing alot of heating issues with upgrading RAM to 4GB.....any truths in this?

MacDaddy08

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
The only issues in upgrading your RAM to 4GB could come from compatibility. Just because your Macbook or Macbook Pro has 2 slots for memory, it doesn't mean it can handle 4GB. All the newer ones max out at 4GB with no problems and the performance is great. However, both my Macbook CD and MBP CD can only max at 2GB so upgrading to 4GB would not only be a pointless waste of money (it will only recognize 2GB) it could also cause problems with the laptop.

Lazernet

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Fairfield, NJ
Most likely the heating issues that people speak of are the extra programs/processes they are able to use at the same time.

I've not noticed any additional heat problems as a result of my 4GB RAM upgrade, but then again, I'm still only running 2 GB worth of applications at any given time... It only makes sense that things would heat up more, the more you do with the machine.

- Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.