Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
I'm not having this problem with any other CS5 apps so far. But whenever I'm resizing or dragging objects within Indesign CS5, the resizing lags by like a second or two. Thinking CS5 is now 64-bit, I thought it would be faster rather than slower?

I'm using a 2 Ghz Macbook with Intel Core 2 Duo and 2Gigs of Ram.

EDIT: Processor is indeed Intel Core 2 Duo and not Intel Duo Core, my mistake.

Last edited:

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Indesign CS5 is not 64bit. Only Photoshop to my knowledge and perhaps Premiere. And at that 64bit is not a magic speed increase for all processes, in fact some processes run slower on 64bit than 32bit.

The sluggish performance is likely to be ether a lack of ram, cpu processing speed, or even a simple bug in the code.

Ether way report it to Adobe with the bug submission process.

Also to add yes your CPU does not meet the requirements and is not 64 bit anyway. The Core Duo and Core Solo are 32 bit processors.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I think that the processor of your computer does not meets the requirements for CS5 and that may be causing the slow performance. If I remember correctly, it needs a multi core processor (like Intel Core Duo 2).

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
I think that the processor of your computer does not meets the requirements for CS5 and that may be causing the slow performance. If I remember correctly, it needs a multi core processor (like Intel Core Duo 2).

I thought that the original MacBooks were all dual core (hence "Core Duo", as opposed to "Core 2 Duo" which was the marketing name for the later chips), and it was only the first Mac Minis where the base model had a Core Solo?

dergoog

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I thought that the original MacBooks were all dual core (hence "Core Duo", as opposed to "Core 2 Duo" which was the marketing name for the later chips), and it was only the first Mac Minis where the base model had a Core Solo?

If you look at his signature he has the rare aluminum Macbook - the unibody version prior to them remarketing them Macbook Pros. Thus he has a 2.26 Core 2 Duo. What actually may be the cause is the video card.

From Adobe:
1280x800 display with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16-bit color, and 256MB of VRAM
Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0

That unibody version meets the bare minimum requirements though I am not sure of how well the NVidia 9400M supports the Shader Model and Open GL 2.0 standards.

When I have run CS4 on my MBP unibody equipped with the same card- I get artifacts quite often when I run it on a larger display. I have been told this is primarily due to my video card, and I would fair better with one equipped with a discrete chipset.

On a different note- 2GIGS of RAM with Indesign??? Seriously? 4 Minimum, 8 runs beautifully. 16 no problem especially if you're like me and run Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign (as well as mail, itunes, stickies, safari, and several others at the same time) Of course to go that high, you need a MPro or 27" imac.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
If you look at his signature he has the rare aluminum Macbook - the unibody version prior to them remarketing them Macbook Pros. Thus he has a 2.26 Core 2 Duo.

Sorry, my bad.

From Adobe:
1280x800 display with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16-bit color, and 256MB of VRAM
Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0

Aren't those the Photoshop CS5 system requirements? The InDesign requirements are less strict (presumably because it doesn't use hardware acceleration?).

dergoog

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Sorry, my bad.

Aren't those the Photoshop CS5 system requirements? The InDesign requirements are less strict (presumably because it doesn't use hardware acceleration?).

I stand corrected :) Those are the overall requirements for the creative suite. Specific to Indesign:

Multicore Intel processor
Mac OS X v10.5.7 or v10.6
1GB of RAM (2GB recommended)
2.6GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash-based storage devices)
1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit video card
DVD-ROM drive

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
Also to add yes your CPU does not meet the requirements and is not 64 bit anyway. The Core Duo and Core Solo are 32 bit processors.

sorry, slight mistake on my part. The processor is the Intel Core 2 Duo and not the Intel Duo Core. It's the unibody aluminum MacBook btw.

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
If you look at his signature he has the rare aluminum Macbook - the unibody version prior to them remarketing them Macbook Pros. Thus he has a 2.26 Core 2 Duo.

yes you caught the error in my proccesor description. you're right, it's the Intel Core 2 Duo, i was just a bit tired when i posted this thread.

So...do you think it's a problem with the graphics card being not capable, or do you think it's a bug on Adobe's part. Anybody using Indesign CS5 here?

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
ID CS5 seems to work about the same as ID CS3 (very good performance)

Similarly, I went from ID CS2 to CS4 last year, again found no problems even on the old G5. I don't think InDesign is particularly heavy on system requirements, not when compared with Photoshop.

I'm not having this problem with any other CS5 apps so far. But whenever I'm resizing or dragging objects within Indesign CS5, the resizing lags by like a second or two. Thinking CS5 is now 64-bit, I thought it would be faster rather than slower?

To address the original problem - have you looked at your Display Performance settings? That is the only factor I know of that could be making ID sluggish. CS4 sets it to "Typical Display" as a default; don't know yet about CS5 but it's worth checking if it's set to "High Quality Display" and seeing if changing makes a difference.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
also make sure overprint preview is turned off.

IndesignCS5 can be a little sluggish on my C2D 2.8Ghz and 8GB of Ram machine :rolleyes:

Gary Kanning

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
I'm having the same problem with InDesign CS5. I think it's something to do with InDesign because I shouldn't be having hardware issues.

Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Memory: 8 GB
Video Card: RadeonX1900 512mb

Even with overprint preview off and image quality set to fast display... I'm still getting lagging resize and dragging. WTF? It mostly seems to happen when resizing or dragging items that are grouped together.

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
I'm having the same problem with InDesign CS5. I think it's something to do with InDesign because I shouldn't be having hardware issues.

Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Memory: 8 GB
Video Card: RadeonX1900 512mb

Even with overprint preview off and image quality set to fast display... I'm still getting lagging resize and dragging. WTF? It mostly seems to happen when resizing or dragging items that are grouped together.

Glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully Adobe issues an update soon.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
I now have ID CS5 installed, alongside CS4. I honestly don't have any lag when dragging or resizing. I'm also on a very low end system.

I've tried this with a few existing documents (once ID had converted them to CS5), but if anyone has any more specific details (e.g. type of placed images, document size etc.) I can try to replicate it and try further.

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
The reason that you are experiencing a lag in InDesign CS5 is because the live screen drawing is immediate. This lets you see objects on screen as you re-size them instead of showing a bounding box. If you are experiencing a slow down you can change this behavior in your preferences by changing the option to delayed or never.

Good luck!

FYI - For more information on InDesign I really should plug http://www.indesignsecrets.com

Fritz

Attachments

• live-screen-drawing.png
    live-screen-drawing.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,512

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
The reason that you are experiencing a lag in InDesign CS5 is because the live screen drawing is immediate. This lets you see objects on screen as you re-size them instead of showing a bounding box. If you are experiencing a slow down you can change this behavior in your preferences by changing the option to delayed or never.

Fritz

Interesting. I hadn't even noticed this new feature.

I have this set to "Immediate" (by default) and I don't have the problem that the OP and others have reported. There is a very slight jittering when dragging an image around, but no delay. Switching to Never is of course smoother.

I couldn't tell a difference between the Never and Delayed settings - both behaved as CS4, moving the bounding box and then the image snapping across when I released. Am I missing something?

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
Never will never show the object as you drag.

Delayed means that if you click and hold your move tool (black arrow) still for a few moments and then drag you will see the object move on the screen. This is the behavior for CS4 and earlier.

Interesting. I hadn't even noticed this new feature.

I have this set to "Immediate" (by default) and I don't have the problem that the OP and others have reported. There is a very slight jittering when dragging an image around, but no delay. Switching to Never is of course smoother.

I couldn't tell a difference between the Never and Delayed settings - both behaved as CS4, moving the bounding box and then the image snapping across when I released. Am I missing something?

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Never will never show the object as you drag.

Delayed means that if you click and hold your move tool (black arrow) still for a few moments and then drag you will see the object move on the screen. This is the behavior for CS4 and earlier.

Thanks - I'd never even noticed that in CS4, or previously in CS2 for that matter. I guess I'd always started dragging immediately.

Mize

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
Nice reading MacStudent

iMac 27" | 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 8GB DDR3 RAM

Was only minutes away from going back to CS4 purely to keep productivity of the studio up to an acceptable level.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
It's not the problem with InDesign CS5, but it is the problem with MacOS. The same feature turned on on the Windows version doesn't make using InDesign laggy ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.