Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reflej0

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
After the Counter Strike Global Offensive and League of Legends test on a Mac Mini 2018 i5 the results are:
  • 720p with all the graphics in low both games reach 100fps so the gameplay is fine.
  • 1080p with all the graphics in low both games are around 60fps with drop peaks on certain occasions, the gameplay is a bit poor.
  • 1440p better not to try, with all the graphics in both games around 20 fps, unplayable.
Performance is limited by the GPU (it is obvious) and this applies to all Mac computers that have a UHD630 or:
The performance test of the UHD630 was performed in Catalina (I would think that in Windows it could give a little more performance, but not much more).
In conclusion I do not think it is feasible to play CS GO and LoL (which are competitive games that are not demanding in performance) on a Macbook, Macbook Air or Mac Mini.
In the devices that have Iris Pro 640/655, I would think that it can be played well in 1080p and the devices with Radeon dedicated GPU it is obvious that it will play well even in up to 1440p.

As a final note, remember that the screen of the iMacs and Macbooks Pro have a refresh rate of 60hz, although the fps are greater than 60fps the difference will not be appreciated therefore the only way to play on an Apple computer with a monitor 144Hz or 240Hz will be with an eGPU connected by Thunderbolt 3.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
As a final note, remember that the screen of the iMacs and Macbooks Pro have a refresh rate of 60hz, although the fps are greater than 60fps the difference will not be appreciated

While generally it doesn't matter, in competitive games this is untrue. Strictly speaking, you want your frame rate to at least match to update rate of the server at the other end. For CSGO this is 120hz. And while it won't make as big of a difference as running 120fps on a 120hz monitor, you will see a benefit as even at 60hz, your GPU will be spitting out more up-to-date information to the display (which is also why you'll get tearing). Either way, you'll be given more accurate visual information even on a normal 60hz display when you're running a higher frame rate.

I only bring this up as you're talking about competitive games here. That said, I guess it won't really bother anybody on MacOS where you can only kind of disable mouse acceleration and can't eliminate the weird lag mouse input has anyway.

Reflej0

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
Therefore, the only way to play "competitively" in OS X would be through an eGPU (which is + 100fps) and the eGPU is connected to a 120Hz / 240Hz monitor.
Anyway, I don't know FreeSync technology works on OS X, in case the GPU is AMD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.