Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ergoego22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Hey all, thanks for reading - scoured the net and haven't found anyone else with this issue, but it has now happened to me on 3 different Mac devices on Catalina Big Sur, leading me to believe I am probably doomed. (devices are 2020 Mac mini described below, 2016 base MacBook Pro, and 2019 MacBook Pro with base 2.3 i9 32GB ram, 5500m 4GB and 2TB hard drive).

Issue: In Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CSGO), everything runs great with my rx580 in razer core x egpu enclosure. EXCEPT, when I left-click on my mouse during a game (only during a game), the crosshair and visuals stay "stuck" for about 250ms. It's like there is something in MacOS that is throwing some event handler every time I click that blocks the thread handling CSGO. Clicking in menus works normally. Happens with Magic Trackpad, integrated MBP trackpads, Microsoft bluetooth mouse, 2 different Logitech wireless mice with usb dongles, and a simple Dell wired USB mouse.

Here's where it gets juicy: If I change the fire button to right-click (just for debug purposes - I'm not going to retrain my brain to use right-click to fire), the game works fine. No issues. But if I click the left mouse button (even with no in-game function mapped to it), the same thing happens - a ~250ms visual hang. It means I cannot shoot and move at the same time, and therefore the game is unplayable. FPS is always high and consistent - its like the CPU is being synchronously blocked by the mouse click event, preventing me from moving the mouse until the blocking event is resolved.

Pretty sure this is a macOS issue and not CSGO (have been playing CS since way back in the late 90s; know my way around the developer console and such), changed raw mouse input, acceleration, etc. No dice.

There's something fishy with the left mouse click, macOS Catalina, and CSGO.

P.S. If I run the game in parallels, I get crap performance because the Mac is constantly running MTLCompilerService, and causes massive FPS drops making the game unplayable (cpu becomes bottleneck). Runs much better in macOS. I don't want to play in bootcamp because this Mac mini is a home server as well - it needs to keep macOS running at all times.

system specs: mm 2020 base (256gb ssd, 8gb ram, i3) + razer core x + rx580

Thanks again in advance - CSGO is really the only game I like to play and this really crushes my plans with this Mac mini (I sold my gaming pc realizing CSGO was all I really played and didn't want a dedicated windows PC taking up room/capital just to play).

If a video of the above effect is helpful, I can provide that as well.

Last edited:

ergoego22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Bump... is there no expert of the MacOS event handling ecosystem or some other competent, needlessly sheltered-in-place Californian like myself who can at least try and re-create my issue and share my plight?

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
Fired up CSGO for the first time in about 3 or 4 years to give it a quick try, UI looks completely different from what I remember. No mouse click hitching issue with my setup, possibly something specific with newer versions of MacOS. Overall framerate feels much lower than I think it should be given what I'm seeing on screen though.

Tested using Mac Pro w/10.14.6, RX580, Xeon X5675 x2 and Macbook Pro w/10.13.6, R9 M370x, I7-4980HQ.

ergoego22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Fired up CSGO for the first time in about 3 or 4 years to give it a quick try, UI looks completely different from what I remember. No mouse click hitching issue with my setup, possibly something specific with newer versions of MacOS. Overall framerate feels much lower than I think it should be given what I'm seeing on screen though.

Tested using Mac Pro w/10.14.6, RX580, Xeon X5675 x2 and Macbook Pro w/10.13.6, R9 M370x, I7-4980HQ.

Hmmm.... interesting. Maybe its a Big Sur issue. Thank you so much for your post!

b3z

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2020
I have the same issue with the mouse. It's quite annoying. It also occurs in other games so I can definitely confirm that this isn't a csgo issue.

Do you have any news about a fix? Would be delightful.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I immediately gave up playing under Mac OS. Too much lag. I simply boot into Bootcamp when playing CSGO.

b3z

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2020
I figured out why it was laggy for me. I had this window manager „Magnet“ running which snaps the windows in place when dragged into a corner. Quitting this App solved it for me. No mouse issues anymore (even with a wireless one.)

lineelik

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2021
I figured out why it was laggy for me. I had this window manager „Magnet“ running which snaps the windows in place when dragged into a corner. Quitting this App solved it for me. No mouse issues anymore (even with a wireless one.)
It helped me. Thanks

dimitarnestorov

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2022
That was the solution for me too. Thanks!

alexandri0

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
Poland
Experiencing the same CSGO stuck on every left-button mouse click.
I don't have Magnet app. Has anyone found any other fix?

alexandri0

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
Poland
I found a fix, seems like BetterTouchTool app was causing stuck for me. Quitting this app helped me.
Hope that helps you as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.