Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
Title explains it all.

I just finished redesigning a website, and I really don't want to say to the majority of the users that their browser is an awful piece of code, even though it is. However, I haven't run into this problem before (this is the first CSS site I've built) and so I'm not sure where to start for IE-specific commands to align the right and bottom borders correctly. What irritates me most is that it's valid XHTML and CSS, and yet the IE 6 engine renders it like junk (which actually isn't suprising considering the problems it has). I found some sites talking about CSS layout problems with IE, and one of them mentions (simple) workarounds. The problem is, I don't think my layout is going to resemble a typical IE fix; it's more complicated.

If it were a Mac oriented site, I wouldn't worry about it. But I need to cater to the general public, and asking them to download a new browser is not going to be a popular thing. I was going to post this on a web dev forum first, but I thought I'd give you guys a shot at it before I do. What would you do? Leave it as is, and tell people to use Firefox (until IE gets fixed) or tweak the living daylights out of it?

Photography by Taryn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.