Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Just a thought here (not anything more than a concept computer)...

What if the Cube were shrunk?

I've taken a look at the Cube at several occasions and the one thing that I dislike the most is the size. It is actually too big. Granted, it's not remotely close to the relative monstrosity of my PowerMac, but I still think that it could shave off a few cubic inches.

1. Mini DVD Drive
This would allow the Cube to decrease in size immensely. Mini CDs and DVDs are only 80mm (roughly 3 inches). Most software is still on conventional CDs, and so the miniature DVD would still be able to hold more than a CD. Granted, most developers wouldn't appreciate the switch to DVDs.

2. G3 Processor
The 750FX produces very little heat and consumes very little power in comparison to the G4. Performance wouldn't be the issue of my concept-Cube.

3. Laptop Hard Drives
Yes, they're slower, but they consume less power and also produce less heat. However, they would likely be suitable for non-Power users and simple iMovie work.

4. Fewer Ports
If you need more, buy a USB or FireWire hub. Cynical yes, but space saving, also yes.

Well, that's my dream cube. It's not much.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
1. Mini DVD Drive
This would allow the Cube to decrease in size immensely. Mini CDs and DVDs are only 80mm (roughly 3 inches). Most software is still on conventional CDs, and so the miniature DVD would still be able to hold more than a CD. Granted, most developers wouldn't appreciate the switch to DVDs.

Absolutely not. The last thing we need is more DVD format confusion.
Interesting idea, but it would be expensive since almost nobody uses them,
Plus, like you said, developers wouldn't go for it. They're not going to spend extra money on a new-unproven format.

2. G3 Processor
The 750FX produces very little heat and consumes very little power in comparison to the G4. Performance wouldn't be the issue of my concept-Cube.

Somehow I think that people would want more than a non-Altiveced G3.
Maybe the Sahara chip with some sort of Altivec, but not the G3 used in the iBook or the CRT imac.
It may be small and cool-running, but with the amount of people bitching about slow Macs noe, imagine what woul happen if they announced a Cube with a G3.:eek:

3. Laptop Hard Drives
Yes, they're slower, but they consume less power and also produce less heat. However, they would likely be suitable for non-Power users and simple iMovie work.

Now that's a good idea. You can get them up to 5400 RPM now so performance wouldn't be top-notch, but it chould be fine for everyday use.
I wonder how hard it would be to made a 7200 RPM version of a laptop drive, it would probably be hot though, my IBM Deathstar will burn you if you don't let it cool down first.:(

4. Fewer Ports
If you need more, buy a USB or FireWire hub. Cynical yes, but space saving, also yes.

Another good idea, although I don't think that much space would be saved.

Exactly how small do you want it?
I just found this PC at Tom's Hardware and I think it holds the claim to 'world's smallest PC'

Some thing like that perhaps?

My vision of a new Cube would be similar to the previous one, just with 4x AGP, 1394b, USB 2.0, REAL DDR and possibly an IBM 970 chip cuz I read somewhere that they're low-power like the G3, don't know how hot though, and PRICED RIGHT THIS TIME APPLE!!
That's the only thing that was wrong with the origional was that it was too damn expensive.
If a new one were priced inbetween $1199-$1799, I think that would be about right.
It would be placed inbetween the imac and the Powermac as a true prosumer machine, plus, not all switchers want to give up their monitors so quickly.:)

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
As a cube owner, I don't think it's too small.

About 10 years ago I really thought mini-CD-Rs would take off, but they didn't. Maybe mini-DVD-Rs will. I doubt it. Current slot loading drives - like that of the Cube (!) - can't handle small media.

What you're describing sounds like the Nintendo GameCube.

If we are to learn from the Cube experience, we should learn the following:

(1) Power supply should be built-in, like the new iMac, not an external "muffler".

(2) There must be cooling, including some for the video card. Silence is fine, but reliability is more important.

(3) Touch switches have improved, sure - but what was wrong with a power key on the keyboard? It worked reliably.

(4) People want to add RAM and upgrade drives. Make it easy.

You know, all of these things are addressed in the LCD iMac...

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
I completely understand your concerns with the mini-DVD issue. I wouldn't want a mini-DVD drive unless they were more common (they are SO much cooler).

The G3 would suit me, but obviously not most. But because it's a concept, we'll just label it the "G5 Cube."

I would like the Cube to be 6 x 6 x 6 (not the smallest, but significantly smaller, albeit devilish). If SO-DIMM RAM was used (as well as the other components I mentioned), an internal power supply would likely be fairly easy to implement.

And I do agree, the Cube 2 would need upgradeability of the RAM, hard drive, Airport, AND video card to be an acceptable machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.