Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
When the cube was "Put on Ice" they said there was a small chance of it being revived in the future. What about:

G3 iMacs / iBooks - 800mhz to 1ghz
G4 Cubes / ??? - 800mhz to 900mhz
G5 PowerMacs / Powerbooks - 1.4ghz to 2.4 ghz

Disdain

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2001
Australia
I liked the power button on the cube, at first I had trouble finding it but then I saw. Oh how beutifull it was.

Though I never did like the cube itself I thought it was quite ugle not as ugly as the snow iMac is, why did they put snow out anyway I would not get a snow unless it were free.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
........... changes ........

I bought an iMac Snow for my sister, I love it, the only two that are better looking are the Indigo and Ruby. I wanna know why they ever made the graphite, the G4 looks good in it but the iMac don't

Disdain

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2001
Australia
I thought most of the first original coulors were good they should still have that cool vast selection available now you only have a choice of a few colours, I thought the reason the iMac was popular was because of all the colours available and it was so good because it was different and daring.

You baught a mac for your sister? I could not afford one for myself.

Disdain

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2001
Australia
But then I couldn't even afford a cheap PC right now so yeah I am too poor perhaps it is time I should get a job where I am paid instead of working for free...

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Bring it BACK!!!

I really couldn't get on without my Cube. I know I do nothing but harp on about the thing, AND that it's an inanimate object, but we all need one vice. Mine is my beautiful little powerhouse.

If the Cube was reinstated amongst the other heavyweights in the Apple stable, I'd be elated. An 800-900Mhz chip would be magic - upgrade options for the earlier Cubes I'm sure would be always welcomed!

I've seen a few sites about upgrades for them - especially the graphics cards - but there's one site in particular that stands out:

http://www.cube-zone.com

- which has information about adapting a standard GeForce 2MX card (and possibly even a GeForce 3!) for the Cube, and includes photos (trying to find a Radeon Cube to buy is proving to be FUTILE, so this is a great option).

Now for the moan/plea:

With technology becoming "nanotechnology", I personally can't see why companies like ATI can't manufacture cards that fit into G4 Towers and Cubes. They've already said that Hybrid cards are feasable (and, in one Mac publication, highly probable depending on the client base), and would not only open up yet another untapped market, but also give Apple yet ANOTHER reason to bring back the Cube...

[Edited by kiwi_the_iwik on 11-11-2001 at 09:12 AM]

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: G4 cube

don't bring back the cube with a G4 processor if there is a G5 tower slated for january

if the G5 tower is reality, then bring back the cube as a G5 also

the idea of faster G3s in the ibook and imac is fine because ibm has made the G3fx which can be clocked to 1 GHz and beyond

the G3 could be pushed for a long time to come the way the pc world has successfully drawn out the celeron

the cube didn't sell because it was expensive in its initial offering and it was too far ahead of its time...the argument that it wasn't expandable likely didn't hurt sales that much because it came with good enough stats for most professional users...as for hardcore gamers though, that is a different story and only the open slots will do...but if there are a lot of hardcore gamers with that type of money, then maybe that did hurt the cube

overall, i have seen more and more people on this post ask for the cube to come back again AND isn't there some possible way to keep the cube alive in some small way and keep them around as a build to order option on their website?

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-11-2001 at 11:33 AM]

Disdain

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2001
Australia
Don't bring bacl the cube, the mac market is good for graphic designers and digital video editors but the cube is small and most upgrades are external, for those seriouse editors they (in my view) would rather keep their workspace as neat as possible and the cube does not offer that.

The design of the g4 case is good as it allows for massive upgrades...

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
I like the cube, hell I even bought one for the office when they got cheap, but I don't see a need for it really. If it were billed as a monitorless iMac and it was cheap, then yeah, but Apple already blew it with the marketing of and even more importantly blew it by overpricing the cube and they won't bring it back. Any time anyone wants to say how screwed up apple is they just say "cube" as though it was the biggest fiasco in modern times.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: cube footprint

most design labs i have seen do have external upgrades like you mention, as opposed to internal pci stuff; and in my travels as a tech and seeing many machines, it's still mostly gamers and techheads that like to mostly use those empty pci slots of the G4 tower

and the footprint of the cube is smaller than that of a G4 tower...but since powermac towers, G3 G4 towers have been out on the market longer, there are definitely more studios with those, of course

but why not bring back the cube in limited quantities since there is still a limited market for that?

apple brought back the snow imac and its still alive

nothing will outsell the consumer level imac or ibook and we know that, but that is no reason to kill the cube just yet

knowing this, the cube will never reach super high sales but the cube and the tibook and other higher priced stuff was not designed for fast sales to the consumer masses like the imac and ibook...i mean it's the imac that saved apple, not the G4 tower or cinema screen

ps - i thought the cube offered the neat workspace theory...it looks really good and uncluttered in the acrchitect's office two blocks away from me

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-11-2001 at 09:35 PM]

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
I'd only like to see the cube come back if it were smaller and cheaper. It would have been a great monitorless iMac.

Cheap = $500

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.