Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
The latest version of BOINC in combination with the latest CUDA drivers seems to be working. Here's a few screenshots of Collatz Conjecture sending GPU work on the Mac platform.

Note, I'm still running Leopard.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 779
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 628
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 605

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Whats the command you used to check if the gpu supports cuda?

It's the same as the ones that support OpenCL. So from Apple.com....

GeForce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce 8600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130, GeForce GTX 285, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GS, Quadro FX 4800, Quadro FX5600

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Whats the command you used to check if the gpu supports cuda?

It's the same as the ones that support OpenCL. So from Apple.com....

GeForce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce 8600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130, GeForce GTX 285, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GS, Quadro FX 4800, Quadro FX5600

Actually CUDA is slightly different from OpenCL but they're the same concept. The command I used is from the CUDA kit available at nvidia.com. Here's the exact link. You'll need to read the entire readme to do this, its not entirely just install and it'll run.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html

You'll also need XCode to build the kit samples.

Pretty much almost all of the upper 8, 9 and GT1/GT2... etc. series support CUDA. Here's an more accurate list.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Actually CUDA is slightly different from OpenCL but they're the same concept. The command I used is from the CUDA kit available at nvidia.com. Here's the exact link. You'll need to read the entire readme to do this, its not entirely just install and it'll run.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html

You'll also need XCode to build the kit samples.

Pretty much almost all of the upper 8, 9 and GT1/GT2... etc. series support CUDA. Here's an more accurate list.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html

What I meant is the list of Mac CUDA cards was the same as the Nvidia OpenCL cards.

nurv2600

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Hint to using both cards on MBP with 9600GT+9400M

So I've been using the CUDA collatz conjecture project through Boinc, and realized that it was only using 1 of my GPUs (as noted in Boinc messages at startup). I created the Boinc configuration file in /Library/Application Support/Boinc Data/cc_config.xml. In that file, I put:

<cc_config>
<options>
<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
</options>
</cc_config>

Save that file, relaunch Boinc, and now you can crunch on all GPUs and CPUs at once! Why this isn't the default, I have no idea. For a list of other useful cc_config options, check out this link.

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
So, my MacBook Pro (model 5,3) has an nVidia 9600M GT. That should support GPU via cuda, but even after installing both the latest toolkit, and then the latest cuda drivers, I still get "no usable GPU's found" messages in BOINC's startup messages. I added Collatz and Einstein to my projects to try to take advantage of the GPU's, but now they're just sucking up time from my other projects I care more about. Without GPU support, they're going to get the boot from my system. :-(

I even added the cc_config.xml file listed above, but it generates a "no start flag" error message.

My MacPro (3 years old next month), has two graphics card in it, an ATI X1900 and an nVidia GeForce 7300. Too bad neither of those support GPU processing. That nVidia card is just in there sucking up juice. There's no monitors attached to it. Think of all the number crunching goodness an extra dedicated GPU could do 24/7! I'd replace the 7300 with a cuda capable card if I knew for sure it would actually work and these BOINC apps would take advantage of it. Heck, I'd consider replacing the ATI as well. I've got a few spare dollars laying around for a "good cause".

Any suggestions?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
So, my MacBook Pro (model 5,3) has an nVidia 9600M GT. That should support GPU via cuda, but even after installing both the latest toolkit, and then the latest cuda drivers, I still get "no usable GPU's found" messages in BOINC's startup messages. I added Collatz and Einstein to my projects to try to take advantage of the GPU's, but now they're just sucking up time from my other projects I care more about. Without GPU support, they're going to get the boot from my system. :-(

I even added the cc_config.xml file listed above, but it generates a "no start flag" error message.

My MacPro (3 years old next month), has two graphics card in it, an ATI X1900 and an nVidia GeForce 7300. Too bad neither of those support GPU processing. That nVidia card is just in there sucking up juice. There's no monitors attached to it. Think of all the number crunching goodness an extra dedicated GPU could do 24/7! I'd replace the 7300 with a cuda capable card if I knew for sure it would actually work and these BOINC apps would take advantage of it. Heck, I'd consider replacing the ATI as well. I've got a few spare dollars laying around for a "good cause".

Any suggestions?

well i'm really not sure about BOINC apps, but i do have experience with folding@home using gpus. the only problem is that you have to have windows for the gpu folding. which u can do on your mac pro.

and it is for a "good cause". we'd love to have you on our folding team. but the BOINC projects are good also!

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
well i'm really not sure about BOINC apps, but i do have experience with folding@home using gpus. the only problem is that you have to have windows for the gpu folding. which u can do on your mac pro.

and it is for a "good cause". we'd love to have you on our folding team. but the BOINC projects are good also!

BOINC allegedly supports GPU on Mac now, as indicated in the threads above, though it appears to be hit or miss as to if you can actually get it to work. :-(

The two projects I mentioned are the only two currently supporting GPU on BOINC that I'm aware of.

I'm not willing to boot my Mac Pro to Windows to use GPU, it's too busy doing Mac things. If a VMWare machine would allow it, that's an option I'd definitely consider, as long as the overhead of running the VM in the background didn't offset the benefit of GPU. I'm not sure the VM would give direct access to GPU, since the drivers report as VM, not the actual card.

re: Folding@Home, I'm already a folder, off and on. Just checked my stats, and am currently ranked 30,757 out of 1,361,003. Not bad considering I haven't ran the client since last May. Ouch. I think back then I decided that F@H wasn't playing nice with letting up the CPU when other tasks needed it. I certainly need to reconsider, as I do think that's a "very good cause". I'm on Team DL.TV, but have no allegiance there - they just happened to be the show that pointed out the project to me. I don't even watch any more. What team are you on? I'll consider moving over if I start running F@H again. I've got a Mac Pro, Mac Mini, 2 MacBook Pros, and a couple of PCs, even an AppleTV if someone wrote a client for it. Most of them run 24/7, no sense in them sitting idle.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Oh ok. Yeah I don't think you can run gpu in a VM.

But we'd love to have you on the macrumors team! Hopefully the next gpu client they release will work in Mac OS X

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Oh ok. Yeah I don't think you can run gpu in a VM.

But we'd love to have you on the macrumors team! Hopefully the next gpu client they release will work in Mac OS X

Oh, I didn't know MacRumors had a team. Of course I'll switch over next time I start running F@H. This is one of my favorite sites.

Back on topic, if anyone has any idea how to get GPU working on this stupid MBP, I'd appreciate it.

I've got the lateest version of BOINC, installed the latest cuda toolkit, the latest drivers, and rebooted. Still "no compatible GPU found" when I start up BOINC. Very frustrating.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Oh, I didn't know MacRumors had a team. Of course I'll switch over next time I start running F@H. This is one of my favorite sites.

Back on topic, if anyone has any idea how to get GPU working on this stupid MBP, I'd appreciate it.

I've got the lateest version of BOINC, installed the latest cuda toolkit, the latest drivers, and rebooted. Still "no compatible GPU found" when I start up BOINC. Very frustrating.

What version of BOINC are you using?

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Now all I need is a cuda enabled nVidia card that's actually compatible with a Mac Pro 1,1. Any recommendations there?

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007

I bought a PS3 the other day, almost solely for the purpose of running Folding@Home and assigned it to the MacRumors team.

I don't play video games, but might watch the occasional blu-ray dvd on it, though it was ridiculously difficult to find any BDs on NetFlix that interested me in adding to my queue. :-(

Thanks for pointing out MR had a team.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I bought a PS3 the other day, almost solely for the purpose of running Folding@Home and assigned it to the MacRumors team.

I don't play video games, but might watch the occasional blu-ray dvd on it, though it was ridiculously difficult to find any BDs on NetFlix that interested me in adding to my queue. :-(

Thanks for pointing out MR had a team.

nice! thanks for joining our team!

nurv2600

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009

Any suggestions?

Sorry, forgot to mention that you must be using 6.10.29 (developer/experimental build) or higher. I believe the just released 6.10.36 (final) recently. I got the same messages running 6.10.21 (final).

Franco Borgo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2010
...you must be using 6.10.29 (developer/experimental build) or higher...
I have just installed a GTX 285 on a MacPro 10.6.2 server
- Installed Boinc 6.10.43
- I have tried to install CUDA but installation failed.
- I have not change anything in the config file.

Boinc report "No usable GPUs found"

---Solved---
I started the kernel in 32 bits mode...

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
EDIT: reinstalled CUDA drivers and it's working now.

P.S. - Interesting but I just noticed my late-2009 MBP is running in 32-bit kernel. Not sure if it's supposed to be or not, will need to look into that.

I just noticed I'm no longer GPU computing. I think it's coincidental to the upgrade to 10.6.3 last week or two.

Installed latest BOINC (up to 6.10.43 from earlier version I had) but still no joy. BOINC reports no usable GPU found on start up.

Anyone have it working in 10.6.3?

Franco Borgo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2010
Anyone have it working in 10.6.3?
Is it working now for you (not sure because of the edit).

It is working for me on two different mac
Boinc client is officially at 6.10.43
GPU found :)
- On a MBP it was simple and also working on 10.6.3
- On MacPro with 10.6.2 - I had to restart in 32 bits for the card be to recognized - But I think with cuda 3.0 they now have 64 bits drivers. I had to reinstall the os on the MacPro so I will know soon if it is working on 10.6.3 UPDATE- Now working in 10.6.3 on 64 bits kernel - Big improvement

Also with CUDA 3.0, There is a new system preference pane to check for CUDA update - nice.

I do have some calculation error :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.