Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
A recently posted Amazon review alleges that popular IndieGoGo screen protector Cinder by Cupert is not in fact made from Corning's Gorilla Glass as the company's IGG campaign repeatedly claims (no less than 10x by my count) attached screenshot and link to Amazon review below.
http://www.amazon.com/Cupert-Techno...l_formats&filterByStar=all_stars&pageNumber=1

image.jpeg

UPDATE:
Cupert has responded directly to a question saying that it is indeed Corning's Gorilla Glass.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx2176GOYJJVUN9/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza?asin=B0153VMTKY
image.png

UPDATE #2:
Cupert has sent out a newsletter explaining some correspondence with Corning:
At Cupert, we pride ourselves on our honesty and integrity, so we wanted to send our valued customers a company update.

As a new enterprise, our vision is to become known as a company that listens to its customers and takes all feedback seriously. We want to be the best of the best. Recently, some false allegations were made on Amazon concerning our use of Corning glass in CINDER, but also stating that we weren’t permitted to use the Corning name in our marketing. Being a reputable company, we were understandably concerned and contacted our manufacturing facility and called Corning.

We contacted Corning in order to verify what was said, and to act as professionally responsible as possible. We wish be known as a respected brand.

We had several in-depth conversations with members of Corning's top management staff, as well as their legal department, in order to sort things out. We were surprised by what we learned. Corning informed us that no brand within the screen protection industry is allowed to use their trademarked "Corning® Gorilla® Glass" name in any marketing materials. Cupert immediately began complying by removing the Corning name from all our online marketing.

Our agreement with Corning is that we can sell our current stock "as is", but must change the packaging in our next production cycle.

At Cupert, we constantly strive to better our products based on the feedback we receive. In immediate response to a few issues some users experienced, we have made CINDER even stronger, revised the formulation of our adhesive to make it even better - causing less chances of bubbles and hazes during the screen protector application process. We have also lengthened and greatly improved our instruction manual text, offering more details to ensure better clarity as well as putting it into four languages …

This enhanced batch of products is due to soon arrive in the U.S. At that time, expected to open the 24th October, we will begin selling our products worldwide and offering global shipping, directly from our website, www.cupert.com.

We want to thank all of our customers for their loyalty and continued support. Please reach out to support@cupert.com with any additional questions, product concerns or to ask about replacements, if needed.

Last edited:

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Would that also mean that Imos Solid EX 3D is also not, in fact, Gorilla Glass?

I find it very unlikely that an established company like Imos would lie about something like that. Imos may not be that familiar in all parts of the world, but to my understanding, they are a very well respected brand in Asia. Corning Gorilla Glass branding is all over the Imos Solid EX 3D screen protector--why would a company like that risk the inevitable lawsuits that would result if they were not, indeed, using Corning Gorilla Glass in their products?

At this point, I would take the allegation in the Amazon review with a grain of salt. I suspect that either the reviewer is not representing the situation accurately, or the individual at Corning that supposedly provided this information did not have their facts straight.

Kristin

Reactions: Mechinyun

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
On the other hand, we know patents and U.S. intellectual property rights are enforced far less in eastern Asian countries, and U.S. Companies are perpetually dealing with ubiquitous IP infringement.

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I find it very unlikely that an established company like Imos would lie about something like that. Imos may not be that familiar in all parts of the world, but to my understanding, they are a very well respected brand in Asia. Corning Gorilla Glass branding is all over the Imos Solid EX 3D screen protector--why would a company like that risk the inevitable lawsuits that would result if they were not, indeed, using Corning Gorilla Glass in their products?

At this point, I would take the allegation in the Amazon review with a grain of salt. I suspect that either the reviewer is not representing the situation accurately, or the individual at Corning that supposedly provided this information did not have their facts straight.

Kristin

This.

Reactions: willmtaylor

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013

Kristin

Certainly seems odd. Who knows?

But if the excerpt in the email is indeed true ("I can confirm that the Gorilla Glass brand has not been authorized for use with screen protectors.") that would include every protector that claims their product is made of Gorilla Glass. Cinder, IMOS, etc., etc.

Even the original poster purchased a product that claimed it was made of Gorilla Glass.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/where-is-cinder.1895308/page-22#post-21970595
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/where-is-cinder.1895308/page-23#post-21972185

macaron95

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
i'm pretty sure that all screen protectors come from the same chinese factory and are not approved by Gorilla, otherwise, Gorilla would have issued a PR to advertize on this...

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
i'm pretty sure that all screen protectors come from the same chinese factory and are not approved by Gorilla, otherwise, Gorilla would have issued a PR to advertize on this...
Maybe, but maybe not. Corning and Apple's relationship has been hush-hush except in the very beginning.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Corning not selling to Cupert directly does not mean the manufacturer in China does not have access to it. I did find it odd that nowhere on the cupert site [not indiegogo] does it mention Gorilla Glass

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Corning not selling to Cupert directly does not mean the manufacturer in China does not have access to it. I did find it odd that nowhere on the cupert site [not indiegogo] does it mention Gorilla Glass
Incorrect:
gorilla.jpg

Navigate to specifications. Less than halfway down it says "Tempered Corning Gorilla Glass"

xiacexi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
gorillaglass@corning.com....that sounds ridiculously fake....y would corning reply to this anyhow? they make glass for OEM's they have better things to doi
Yes, no customer service because they have better things to do :rolleyes:
Straight from their Contact Us page:
email: gorillaglass@corning.com

For more information on Gorilla Glass, please send us your contact information and question, and we will get back to you within 2 business days.

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
How many people realize that Gorilla Glass is just a name like Retina Screen?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
How many people realize that Gorilla Glass is just a name like Retina Screen?

Gorilla Glass is the name of a specific product produced by Corning. It's not a generic term like retina screen. A better analogy would be Kleenex, which is also the name of a specific product, but often misused to mean tissue.

Reactions: mentaluproar

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
I don't really understand what it matters. Why is the first thing many people say when they see something like this is " fishy "? What likely happens, is companies like this go to kickstarter, contact an asian plant to produce the product, the plant says, we can do this with gorilla glass, you will pay X dollars for 1 - 5000 ordered, then you will pay x dollars for 5001-1000 ordered etc. The people don't actually " develop " or " create " anything. They just got a contact in china, negotiated, and then said " WE DO THIS " based on whatever the china plant told them. So when you guys argue about all the different brands, the ones in china, likely all come from the same 2 - 3 plants based on the same low quality glass, with the same low quality standards. They just package it differently, i bet they have different competitor glasses running down the line side by side. It's a joke, it's more of a joke that so many people think their are more than 2 - 3 non name brand covers!

Reactions: mojolicious

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I don't really understand what it matters. Why is the first thing many people say when they see something like this is " fishy "? What likely happens, is companies like this go to kickstarter, contact an asian plant to produce the product, the plant says, we can do this with gorilla glass, you will pay X dollars for 1 - 5000 ordered, then you will pay x dollars for 5001-1000 ordered etc. The people don't actually " develop " or " create " anything. They just got a contact in china, negotiated, and then said " WE DO THIS " based on whatever the china plant told them. So when you guys argue about all the different brands, the ones in china, likely all come from the same 2 - 3 plants based on the same low quality glass, with the same low quality standards. They just package it differently, i bet they have different competitor glasses running down the line side by side. It's a joke, it's more of a joke that so many people think their are more than 2 - 3 non name brand covers!
That's a nice story, and it sounds good and all, except that if you've dealt with many glass screen protectors, you would know that there is huge variance in them and they are wildly different in regards to dimensions, materials, cuts, edges, feel, etc. Ergo, to say that they're all the same products made in the same factories with different packaging materials slapped on the box, just comes across as ignorant, ignorant arrogance actually.

Reactions: ABC5S

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Gorilla® Glass never made since to me as a screen protector.

And Cinder... sheesh, what a mess.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
I call BS. Why would a huge company like Corning respond to a single unknown person about a specific product.

Maybe ask them if they supply Apple? Apple never mentions they use GG. (but they do)

IMOS? Did you ask about them.

One person reports a random "response" supposedly from Corning and everyone believes it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.