Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill99

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
Hello forum

we used to print under Linux with the help of CUPS(and PPD files). But now i heard that Apple does
not anymore support CUPS.

Does that "only" mean that no Apple *.dmg packages are available anymore or that it's
not possible to install(compile) the cups-2.3.3-source.tar.gz on macOS.

Sorry can't test it myself because still waiting on my new Mac.

Thank you!

Bill

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello forum

we used to print under Linux with the help of CUPS(and PPD files). But now i heard that Apple does
not anymore support CUPS.

Does that "only" mean that no Apple *.dmg packages are available anymore or that it's
not possible to install(compile) the cups-2.3.3-source.tar.gz on macOS.

Sorry can't test it myself because still waiting on my new Mac.

Thank you!

Bill
CUPS (version 2.3.4) is still in Big Sur but it's deprecated so will probably be removed in one of the next major macOS releases.

Reactions: bill99

bill99

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
The main challenge (only checked it under Catalina) is that in order to be able to use/run localhost(127.0.0.1:631) extensive configuration is required :)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The main challenge (only checked it under Catalina) is that in order to be able to use/run localhost(127.0.0.1:631) extensive configuration is required :)
It works in Big Sur if you enter cupsctl WebInterface=yes in Terminal, same as with any other version of macOS.

Reactions: bill99 and hoodafoo

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
I gave up on CUPS. Now when I need to print something on my really old Samsung printer, I have to use a Win10 VM to send the print jobs

bill99

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
After updating to Catalina 10.15.7 i tried to setup an other printer in CUPS (PPD's available:)
I entered cupsctl WebInterface=yes in Terminal
but 127.0.0.1:631 does not show the "CUPS-interface" anymore, but instead the following
message is shown in Safari:

"Not Found"

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank's a lot in advance for your help!

Bill

Zeitkind

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2017
Have the same problem, but one short tipp: add /printers to access the printers page. Seems the "start" page is gone, broken or missing here too, no idea. But localhost:631/printers should work

bill99

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
Have the same problem, but one short tipp: add /printers to access the printers page. Seems the "start" page is gone, broken or missing here too, no idea. But localhost:631/printers should work
Thank you very much Zeitkind for the help!! Any idea how to add a printer in CUPS, if the button "add" is gone?

bill99

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
Thank you very much Zeitkind for the continued help. It does work a you suggested :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.