Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I'm in the market for an (android) phone, so I have been collecting information on devices that have been available for the past year or so.

I quickly determined that I needed some kind of chart to keep track of all of the devices that are being sold, or are soon to come out. Here are the phones I was looking at:
Samsung Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 Edge, (RIP Note 7)
ZTE Axon 7, Axon 7 mini
Google Pixel, Pixel XL
Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P
Huawei Honor 8, Mate 9
Lenovo Moto Z, Moto Z Play
Sony Xperia X, Xperia XZ
Asus Zenfone 3, Zenfone 3 Deluxe
LG V20
HTC 10
LeEco Le Pro 3
Alcatel Idols 4S
OnePlus 3

That is 21 devices at a range of prices between $300-$900 (and I'm sure that I have omitted a few). These are all arguably very good phones. Unfortuantely, I still don't know which way I am going to go, except that there doesn't seem to be a pressing reason to spend more than ~$500 for a device.

Reactions: MRU

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
GSMArena allows pretty convenient comparison of specs.

A lot of these phones are very similar so at least for me it has often come down to physical size, stock OEM ROM as well as 3rd party ROM developer support. For example the ZTEs have pretty great hardware on paper but the stock ROM seems a bit **** and developer support is not great. Sony also tends to release a new phone every 6 months or so their products don't seem long lived. LG has had issues with bootloops bricking their devices.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
except that there doesn't seem to be a pressing reason to spend more than ~$500 for a device.

On android .... This is definitely becoming the thing.

You can also likely pick up a new S7 for around the $500 mark or cheaper on swappa / craigslist.

All the devices listed have their pro's and cons. for example .. The Nexus 5X is a little ram starved for an android device (even a stock android device) and is not of the 'best' build materials wise, so for me I would rule that out. But then you can probably pick one up a 32gb model for $250 which given its price would put it back into contention ....

Aghhh. Essentially there is a plethora of good handsets and unless you can really justify $800-900 the $400 price range of android devices is offering serious bang for buck.

Reactions: Sensamic

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
$300, arguably, should get you something pretty good. I spent too much on an Xperia which isn't flagship but I love its design and edge to edge screen.

A lot of it comes down to how the device looks and feels once in your hand.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Yeah, i'm going to have to visit some electronics stores this weekend to hold some phones

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'm looking for a new phone to replace my S6 too and can't decide. Been debating this decision for months! There are many options, but every time I read the specific forums for a device there's so many issues!!

I don't change phones so often so I want my next phone to last me if possible 2 years. So many options and none is perfect...

For example, right now I can get the S7 new for 445€, but I've had burn-in issues with my S6 and previous S3, so that's something to consider if I want my next phone to last me 2 years!

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
No plans getting a flagship with the way 2017 might turn out with foldable displays, 4K screens, and iPhone 8. For months, I was also caught in a huge dilemma. My heart was really for the now defunct Note7. Breaks my heart a little but safety first. RIP to the best smartphone of 2016 but hopefully the Note branding continues. In 2016, we might lose the Note and Nexus brand forever.

My Top 5 if I also included iPhone...

1. LG V20
2. Apple iPhone 7 Plus
3. Apple iPhone 7
4. Apple iPhone SE
5. Samsung Galaxy S7 edge

I don't think I could wait on the Xiaomi Mi 5s. Rather get the $160 Redmi 3s Prime. The silver V20 is really tops for me because of the removable battery BUT that battery life could be a huge letdown like the G5 was. I considered three iPhones because how disappointing the V20 seems to be with streaming content and SOT. And LG just waited too long. My eyes are on other devices too.

The Galaxy S7 edge is probably the closest experience at owning the Note7, but to tell you the truth, I am starting to hate curved displays which I find pointless and a cosmetic gimmick. They aren't ergonomically comfortable to hold either while adding a crack prone glass back. I hope this edge stuff becomes a fad and goes away in a few years.

Now the best looking design of 2016 goes to the ceramic white Huawei P9 Plus. I saw that phone a few weeks ago and it probably is the most beautiful phone I have ever seen since the HTC One M7 in glacial silver. What kills it is availability in the States, GPU is kinda underpowered, and their skin isn't for everybody. It also scratches easily like a jet black iPhone 7/7+. But if you are kinda a fashionista, white Huawei P9/P9+ definitely looks better to me than Note7/S7 edge in any color and the iPhone 7 series.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.