Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
[First off, to the mods: if this post belongs somewhere else, (a) my apologies and (b) please feel free to move it there (as I otherwise would've if I had known).]

I have a 32GB WiFi only iPad mini 2 (the one listed in my signature). Its sole purpose to me is to run beta versions of iOS or to run jailbroken versions of iOS.

I've found that, with the notable exception of iOS 9.3, most of the iOS point releases (e.g. iOS 9.0.2, iOS 9.1, iOS 9.2, iOS 9.2.1, etc.) that come out during the fall through spring are more or less uneventful, especially given that I'm a hobbyist and not a developer. So, I've given thought to making it so that, during the year, I'm running this iPad mini 2 jailbroken and then between WWDC and the fall, I'll restore it to a non-jailbroken version of iOS before updating to a beta or I'll just DFU restore straight to a beta version until it comes out and then I'll repeat the cycle over again.

Given this, with the public release of iOS 9.3 on said iPad mini 2 (which I guess I must've just done at the right time), I'm finding that the oldest successful publicly released Jailbreaks for iOS 9 are for 9.1 at the newest. There doesn't seem to be anything for 9.2.1, which is unfortunate given that I have the perfect opportunity to downgrade back to it (seeing as the mini 2 is among the devices that Apple pulled the 9.3 update for), if I so desired.

Is jailbreaking a lost cause now? Given that I'm on 9.3, should I downgrade to 9.2.1 just in case? Are my sources out of date and is there a jailbreak for either 9.2.1 or 9.3? Any information would be handy to have as my research is coming up dry.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
[First off, to the mods: if this post belongs somewhere else, (a) my apologies and (b) please feel free to move it there (as I otherwise would've if I had known).]

Is jailbreaking a lost cause now? Given that I'm on 9.3, should I downgrade to 9.2.1 just in case? Are my sources out of date and is there a jailbreak for either 9.2.1 or 9.3? Any information would be handy to have as my research is coming up dry.

It's coming up dry since there's no info right now. No one can predict what will happen. If someone finds new vulnerabilities and exploits them, you'll have an exploit going ahead. If not, then no. No one here can give any definite answers to such questions.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
It's coming up dry since there's no info right now. No one can predict what will happen. If someone finds new vulnerabilities and exploits them, you'll have an exploit going ahead. If not, then no. No one here can give any definite answers to such questions.

Well, naturally, if there's no release for 9.3, then no one can tell me more than that. I was more wondering (a) what my options were to do this given the OS I have installed now and (b) if things are more or less dry now than they have been in past versions of iOS. I haven't been following jailbreaking all that closely in recent years (last I tuned in was during the late iOS 5 days).

shftoptk

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
USA
Is jailbreaking a lost cause now?
Jailbreaking has been a lost cause since it became only about making money and not about opening up iOS. The only people left looking for exploits are freelancers who want apple's/china's money, or taig/pangu who are only in for the ridiculous amount of money the knock-off app stores are paying them.

There will always be a jailbreak. It's huge in china. The problem is making sure it's safe and then making cydia work. Even when cydia is updated, which takes a while depnding on what exploits are used, very few developers ever update their tweaks. (compared to 5 years ago)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There was no jailbreak for iOS 9. People complained that jailbreaking was dead. Then a jailbreak for 9.0-9.0.2 happened

Then people complained that jailbreaking was dead because there was no jailbreak for 9.1. Then the jailbreak for 9.1 happened.

Now we are in between again.

Jailbreaking is not dead or a lost cause. People are just impatient.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
There was no jailbreak for iOS 9. People complained that jailbreaking was dead. Then a jailbreak for 9.0-9.0.2 happened

Then people complained that jailbreaking was dead because there was no jailbreak for 9.1. Then the jailbreak for 9.1 happened.

Now we are in between again.

Jailbreaking is not dead or a lost cause. People are just impatient.

Granted the jailbreak is taking quite a bit longer than the Chinese groups have been releasing in iOS 7 and iOS 8

I personally don't count 9.1 because most people already jailbroken are on 9.0.2, while people who are not were most likely on 9.2+

Still hoping the next public jailbreak comes out soon. RemoteMessages crashing with every MMS/image/video/audio/etc sent or received is pretty inconvenient

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Granted the jailbreak is taking quite a bit longer than the Chinese groups have been releasing in iOS 7 and iOS 8

I personally don't count 9.1 because most people already jailbroken are on 9.0.2, while people who are not were most likely on 9.2+

Still hoping the next public jailbreak comes out soon. RemoteMessages crashing with every MMS/image/video/audio/etc sent or received is pretty inconvenient
But not as long as it took with iOS 6. We went from at minimum September 2012 to February 2013 before a 6.0 jailbreak was released. Five months. And I believe they were working on it when it was in beta.

I understand it's taking some time but a lot of people seem to be acting like jailbreaking is dead (and I don't necessarily mean the users here). It wasn't over with iOS 7 and it wasn't over with iOS 8. It's not going to be over now. Especially if the jailbreak doesn't come from the people everyone expects it to come from.

Reactions: wgr73

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Well, naturally, if there's no release for 9.3, then no one can tell me more than that. I was more wondering (a) what my options were to do this given the OS I have installed now and (b) if things are more or less dry now than they have been in past versions of iOS. I haven't been following jailbreaking all that closely in recent years (last I tuned in was during the late iOS 5 days).

There isn't sufficient info to tell you either way, a truthful answer.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
There's a guy going by enMTW, that claims he is going to release one for 9.2-9.3. There are a lot of people hating on him on Reddit and Twitter, but he insists that it will be released by him around the time that the 5SE hits the consumers hands and before Apple stops signing 9.2.1. He seems like he is not a very friendly guy, and appears to be angered by the harassment and accusations of him being a troll. It is at least an amusing read if you have nothing better to do.

I am surprised that I have not seen it mentioned here. I am keeping my eyes on it, but I am not holding my breath.

Reactions: Jstuts5797
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.