Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
Last January I bought a M1 MacBook Air because my 2017 MacBook had a screen issue and it was not worth paying the repair costs. At that time, I was still in university and my workflow was quite light. Now I'm working in marketing content creation, I also do freelance marketing/photography on the side, and the Air is constantly getting very hot and I only have 10GB left on the 256GB SSD. I was wondering if it makes more sense to upgrade to the 1900CAD 2020 M1 MacBook Pro or spend the extra 500CAD and go for there base model 14"?

Really, my main concern is that (unlike this air), I want a laptop that will last me at least the next 4 years without overpaying for something I don't need. A tricky balance.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

davedirect

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2021
Last January I bought a M1 MacBook Air because my 2017 MacBook had a screen issue and it was not worth paying the repair costs. At that time, I was still in university and my workflow was quite light. Now I'm working in marketing content creation, I also do freelance marketing/photography on the side, and the Air is constantly getting very hot and I only have 10GB left on the 256GB SSD. I was wondering if it makes more sense to upgrade to the 1900CAD 2020 M1 MacBook Pro or spend the extra 500CAD and go for there base model 14"?

Really, my main concern is that (unlike this air), I want a laptop that will last me at least the next 4 years without overpaying for something I don't need. A tricky balance.

Your title says that your air isn’t powerful enough but the body of your post says that it’s running hot, which can totally make things throttle and act bizarre. Which is it?

The next time you use your air during your heaviest workflow, I would check what your actual CPU usage is. The air can’t keep up with sustained full performance of the M1 chip because it doesn’t have a proper cooling system. It can do full throttle for a little while but then it needs to throttle. Is it running super hot but your CPU usage isn’t even close to maxing out? I would consider getting the 13” MacBook Pro. The cooling system is absolutely necessary for sustained workloads so that it doesn’t throttle itself.

If your actual CPU usage is near 90% or more consistently, and you really are maxing it out or getting close to doing so, then getting an M1 Pro 14” may be in the cards.

Best of luck to you.

I think you can check CPU usage in activity monitor, but I prefer a program called istat menus. You could likely use either.

Edit: I would also like to add that there is a general rule of not filling up your SSD past 75%. You can, but it will start to slow down significantly. At a bare minimum i would leave at least 50 gigs of storage always available on there. It may be very worth your while to invest in a 500 gig SSD for your new computer, or get a new 256gig machine again and buy an external drive for it. This will allow you to give your SSD breathing room and also have a place for you to backup your Mac

Last edited:

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
Your title says that your air isn’t powerful enough but the body of your post says that it’s running hot, which can totally make things throttle and act bizarre. Which is it?

The next time you use your air during your heaviest workflow, I would check what your actual CPU usage is. The air can’t keep up with sustained full performance of the M1 chip because it doesn’t have a proper cooling system. It can do full throttle for a little while but then it needs to throttle. Is it running super hot but your CPU usage isn’t even close to maxing out? I would consider getting the 13” MacBook Pro. The cooling system is absolutely necessary for sustained workloads so that it doesn’t throttle itself.

If your actual CPU usage is near 90% or more consistently, and you really are maxing it out or getting close to doing so, then getting an M1 Pro 14” may be in the cards.

Best of luck to you.

I think you can check CPU usage in activity monitor, but I prefer a program called istat menus. You could likely use either.

Hmm good question. I always figured that it was running hot because I was putting too much pressure on it. I usually have 10-12 apps open, because part of my most intense workflow means website design, multiple tabs open, huge excel spreadsheets, word docs, and photoshop/lightroom all doing things at the same time (while email, teams, and slack are all running in the background). I haven't checked the CPU, but yesterday when the computer was hot enough that the keyboard was noticeably warm the RAM was maxed out and it was using 3.2GB of swap storage when I checked activity monitor. I had to force quit a few background apps because I was getting the beachball just trying to open an email.

So I wonder if I want more Ram or just actual cooling?

davedirect

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2021
Hmm good question. I always figured that it was running hot because I was putting too much pressure on it. I usually have 10-12 apps open, because part of my most intense workflow means website design, multiple tabs open, huge excel spreadsheets, word docs, and photoshop/lightroom all doing things at the same time (while email, teams, and slack are all running in the background). I haven't checked the CPU, but yesterday when the computer was hot enough that the keyboard was noticeably warm the RAM was maxed out and it was using 3.2GB of swap storage when I checked activity monitor. I had to force quit a few background apps because I was getting the beachball just trying to open an email.

So I wonder if I want more Ram or just actual cooling?

I would investigate:

-actual CPU usage at max workload vs just throttling because your air doesn’t have a proper cooling system.

-getting more storage, whether internal or external.

-more ram. Are you at 8 or 16 GB right now? If you absolutely need more than 16 then you’ll be moving up to the 14”

It sounds like you are definitely running your Air pretty hard. If you absolutely need to be running everything at once and you are getting over 90% CPU usage then it might be time to look at the M1 Pro in the 14.” You could always try out a 13” and see how well it works for you. You can return it within 14 days.

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
I would investigate:

-actual CPU usage at max workload vs just throttling because your air doesn’t have a proper cooling system.

-getting more storage, whether internal or external.

-more ram. Are you at 8 or 16 GB right now? If you absolutely need more than 16 then you’ll be moving up to the 14”

It sounds like you are definitely running your Air pretty hard. If you absolutely need to be running everything at once and you are getting over 90% CPU usage then it might be time to look at the M1 Pro in the 14.” You could always try out a 13” and see how well it works for you. You can return it within 14 days.

I have 8GBs right now. Might be worth upgrading to 16GB?

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
I have 8GBs right now. Might be worth upgrading to 16GB?
You most definitely need 16gb if you're already using 3gb swap space with 8gb, and get 512gb storage minimum since you're using 90% of your 256gb storage. Under those conditions, both the Air and M1 Macbook Pro would run quite slowly, heat aside, and you'd also be in danger of SSD (storage) failure.

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
You most definitely need 16gb if you're already using 3gb swap space with 8gb, and get 512gb storage minimum since you're using 90% of your 256gb storage. Under those conditions, both the Air and M1 Macbook Pro would run quite slowly, heat aside, and you'd also be in danger of SSD (storage) failure.
Hmmm then I guess based on all of that the base 14" makes the most sense. Hopefully it comes in stock soon because I'm starting work with a major client for my freelance work on Monday and don't need my current laptop slowing down my already hectic schedule...

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Hmmm then I guess based on all of that the base 14" makes the most sense. Hopefully it comes in stock soon because I'm starting work with a major client for my freelance work on Monday and don't need my current laptop slowing down my already hectic schedule...
I thnk you're RAM constrained more than CPU. Heavily using swap while the main boot volume is so filled is also a recipe for disaster. If you use apps like Photoshop, that needs its own scratch space which can eat 10s of gigabytes under low memory conditions. (you also should consider optimizing this app and reducing history states or cache sizes)

This starts competing with the OS and without ample disk space, you're screwed. As others have said, you need to leave a good amount of SSD space left over so it can do its wear levelling/TRIM operations efficiently. Otherwise you'll end up with a dead SSD quicker.

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
I thnk you're RAM constrained more than CPU. Heavily using swap while the main boot volume is so filled is also a recipe for disaster. If you use apps like Photoshop, that needs its own scratch space which can eat 10s of gigabytes under low memory conditions. (you also should consider optimizing this app and reducing history states or cache sizes)

This starts competing with the OS and without ample disk space, you're screwed. As others have said, you need to leave a good amount of SSD space left over so it can do its wear levelling/TRIM operations efficiently. Otherwise you'll end up with a dead SSD quicker.
Okay I think I follow...so what would be my best option? 13.3" 256GB, 16gb of RAM, and an external SSD perhaps?

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
You need 500 gb, 16gb minimum (32gb is probably better for your workflow). The M1 is a super powerful chip, so I think this is purely RAM/SSD issue as @saudor and others have mentioned. The problem is that once you start optioning up a 13" MacBook Pro you're in striking distance of a 14" MBP 2021 -- probably best to just get the base 14" 500gb MBP w/16gb ram THEN TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE of the 2-week return period. Load it up and run it hard.

Also, keep in mind that it sounds like you are running emulated programs--this will bog you down. Any way you can transfer some of your workflow to native Apple Silicon optimized apps?

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
Any way you can transfer some of your workflow to native Apple Silicon optimized apps?
With some of my freelance projects i might be able to. But with work, I use what the company uses. And since we're a Mac/Windows dual office (it's a personal choice), I need to make sure any files/content is easily transferable between both OS-es.

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 4.21.56 PM.png
Ya does not seem to be a CPU issue @davedirect :
Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 4.22.05 PM.png

Marcopolo53

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2016
Toronto

Good Apple Computer Practices is the keep at least 15% of the. Total Drive Capacity as Empty Spaces. That would translate into about 38 GB As Empty at all times. Otherwise, the OS will be swapping into and out of RAM All the time. Plus, if unattended the drive make become Full. Should that occur - the machine will stop loading at all.

davedirect

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2021

Wow. I’m still so surprised at how efficient and powerful these M1 processors are. If you are only using 16% CPU during your most intense workload then I’d say stick with getting a new Air with a 512 GB SSD and 16 GB of RAM. At this point I would only consider getting the 13.3” MacBook Pro if I needed more screen brightness or longer battery life.

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA

Well, going with the 13" MacBook Pro, won't really give you any more power. Maybe one more GPU core (if yours is the 7 core model), just more cooling. This might help a little, but probably not worth the cost. If you want an upgrade, go with the 14" MBP. That will definitely be an upgrade with more power. You should be able to trade in your Air towards a new one, to offset some of the cost. Might be a good idea to go with 1 TB of storage too, since photos can take up lots of space. Good luck!

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021

To solve the storage problem get an external drive or delete files. Also, try closing some apps too.

Now if you absolutely must get a new computer, I would recommend the 14 inch. Clearly M1 is not important, and just a fan won’t make a big difference. It might help a bit though. However, M1 Pro would make a significant difference over the M1.

Best of luck!

Reactions: marinersaptcomplex

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
With some of my freelance projects i might be able to. But with work, I use what the company uses. And since we're a Mac/Windows dual office (it's a personal choice), I need to make sure any files/content is easily transferable between both OS-es.
Go with the 14 as you’ll able to handle sustained workloads with better cooling. you got the return period to try it out Too. 16gb minimum. 512gb ssd so you’re less reliant on external solutions. although personally, I would even consider 32gb and 256 because fast external storage can be added later but you can never add ram after the fact. Depends on your budget and how long you intend to use the machine as well as the size of your working set. Is that screenshot your max workload ? 16 might still be ok if that’s the case.

Don’t worry too much about windows. It’s not like 2010 where it was a bigger deal And things have gotten better. almost all my clients use windows and I’m generally ok. The biggest issue is office 365 stuff but that’s gotten way better now. Unless you’re doing really advanced stuff, you won’t notice it. Again, depends on what apps you use but the bigger ones appear to be ok (for me)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you decide you are "moving up", then...

- Getting the m1 MBP 13" won't be "a big enough step upward".
- Get the MBP 14" base model instead.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

I went for a 16GB, 1TB M1 Air and so far it's been an absolute champ at all my development needs.

Reactions: yitwail

davedirect

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2021
Just a friendly reminder that buying your Mac with an education discount is also an option. It didn’t ask me to verify that I was from an educational institution or anything like that, which is different than in the past.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Is it possible that Photoshop & Lightroom are the culprits here, just tipping the machine over in to the sort of workload which would be better suited to the Pros?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.