Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i was just reading in another thread about the current TiBooks not being able to fully use DDR RAM. i was just wondering how much truth there is in this?

i'm usually not a very technical person, but on this occasion if someone wants to run me through the theory of why this is not possible then feel welcome.

also, if someone knows of any websites that are about the current TiBook processors and DDR RAM then i wouldn't mind having a read...

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
DDR DilemaDon'tRun

That's an interesting claim... the Powerbook incorporates 32 MB of DDR RAM in its video systems. It's clearly possible.

Seems a tad ridiculous to say hey, we can't have DDR anywhere but the video card. Plus, Apples reasons for the RAM they incorporate are manyfold, but my main vote is for SPECIFICATIONS.

:cool:

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Well, if the Powerbook is a G4 and the G4 towers can't utilize DDR to its full potential, then it's same to say that the Powerbook can't either.

They should do it anywayz, just for marketing reasons.

gambit

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2002
Turkey
Well...

thats cause of the motherboard not the G4 proccesor... there is a slight bottleneck in the design. No flaming intended. By the way I LOVE your avatar... "ITS GOT BIG TEETH!"

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Re: Well...

Originally posted by gambit
thats cause of the motherboard not the G4 proccesor... there is a slight bottleneck in the design. No flaming intended.

The exact opposite infact, the G4-7455 has a single data rate 133 (or 167) Mhz * 64bit frontside bus, which is its line to the outside world aka the system controller, to which the memory is attached.

The system controller in the new Powermacs (and the Xserve) has a 133/167Mhz DDR memory interface, but the bus to the processor (from the system controller)is limited to 133/167 SDR as the processor can't support anything higher and as such the processor can't take advantage of the bandwidth that's actually available from the memory subsystem.

There isn't anything Apple could do on the mainboard level to compensate for Motorolas lagging bus interface.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Thats right. Its motorala thats chip cant handle DDRAM. Therefore, I think Apple is using DDRAM in the powermacs + Xserves just for marketing purposes.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
so even the DDR RAM in the towers and the Xserves isn't fully used to it's full either?

and the reason that TiBooks can't fully use DDR is because of the bottleneck in the processor?

damn, i was starting to get all hyped on DDR...

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by cb911
so even the DDR RAM in the towers and the Xserves isn't fully used to it's full either?

and the reason that TiBooks can't fully use DDR is because of the bottleneck in the processor?

damn, i was starting to get all hyped on DDR...
As far as I am aware, the current G4 cant use DDRAM well. Why do you think the old Dual Ghz using PC133 RAM is about the same speed as the DDRAM 1Ghz PowerMac? There is a bottleneck in the system. Until Motorola releases their next chip (I think in January) this problem will exist.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Falleron

As far as I am aware, the current G4 cant use DDRAM well. Why do you think the old Dual Ghz using PC133 RAM is about the same speed as the DDRAM 1Ghz PowerMac? There is a bottleneck in the system. Until Motorola releases their next chip (I think in January) this problem will exist.

It's about the same speed because the old Dual had 2MB L3 cache and the new one only has 1MB L3 cache. Even with that handicap the new dual is faster then the old in most situations. Granted it's not by much but it is slightly faster. That just goes to show the benefit that the DDR and 167MHz bus has given the new macs.

I thought everyone in the world already new the 7455 G4s could not utilize DDR Ram. The biggest advantage to the current macs with DDR is when using DMA (Direct Memmory Access). All the subsystems in all current macs are able to use DMA that means in a new G4 the hard drives are able to spool to memory at full DDR speed. It also means that the video card is able to read from memory at full DDR speed. Completely bypassing in most cases the cpu. This is what gives the new G4s a huge advantage. Especially when doing video card intensive operations. Such as games.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by MacBandit

It's about the same speed because the old Dual had 2MB L3 cache and the new one only has 1MB L3 cache. Even with that handicap the new dual is faster then the old in most situations. Granted it's not by much but it is slightly faster. That just goes to show the benefit that the DDR and 167MHz bus has given the new macs.

I thought everyone in the world already new the 7455 G4s could not utilize DDR Ram. The biggest advantage to the current macs with DDR is when using DMA (Direct Memmory Access). All the subsystems in all current macs are able to use DMA that means in a new G4 the hard drives are able to spool to memory at full DDR speed. It also means that the video card is able to read from memory at full DDR speed. Completely bypassing in most cases the cpu. This is what gives the new G4s a huge advantage. Especially when doing video card intensive operations. Such as games.
I know the old dual has the extra cache. I was just over simplifying the situation. I think if the G4 chip could use the full bandwidth of DDRAM then the whole system would be a lot quicker than they are today.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
with all that said, pro and con, let's get the ddr in the tibook...even if it only helps a tiny bit

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by jefhatfield
with all that said, pro and con, let's get the ddr in the tibook...even if it only helps a tiny bit
Does DDRAM produce extra heat? if so, Apple may leave it out for now, especially if it does not make much difference to performance. However, if they go for the marketing position, they will include it. DDRAM sounds better.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000

Does DDRAM produce extra heat? if so, Apple may leave it out for now, especially if it does not make much difference to performance. However, if they go for the marketing position, they will include it. DDRAM sounds better.

if it negatively affects battery time, the number one issue with mobile users, then i say hold off on the ddr ram

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit

I'm under the understanding that it produces more heat and uses more power. Not a lot more but it is more in both cases.

DDR sdram at the same clockspeed should use LESS power and as a sideeffect generate less heat.

PC133 = 3.3v
PC2100 = 2.5v

current draw is pretty close IIRC, and (as a real world example, though not a very scientific one) the PC2700 I've got around here doesn't get as warm as the PC133 does.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
i think the real issue is that DDR RAM costs considerably more per MB, esp at what apple charges. they would probably have to up the high end to 3400$ to go DDR, and they know a lot of people would hate them for that. i don't think they will go DDR.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Your mileage may vary

As far as I am aware, the current G4 cant use DDRAM well. Why do you think the old Dual Ghz using PC133 RAM is about the same speed as the DDRAM 1Ghz PowerMac? ...
This seems to vary depending on the benchmark(s) used. While the first results that came out indicated they were roughly equivalent in speed, the review in the latest MacWorld indicates that the new DDR Dual 1GHz Power Mac outperforms the old one by 20% on average. If the old adage that users can notice any performance difference >15%, this is significant.

So despite the smaller L3 cache, something about the design of these machines seems to make them significantly faster.

Nonetheless, it is apparent that they are not taking full advantage of the power of DDRAM.

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.