Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17.2

Are the various widget options for StandBy mode documented someplace?

I had mine set to the default analog clock on the left and the current weather on the right. The weather panel prominently displayed current temperature up top just under location in a very large font. However, somehow during last night, the screen may have been accidentally swiped and messed up, so now the weather panel no longer shows the current temperature.

IMG_0287.PNG

When I scroll through the various Weather widget options for this feature, I only see two with current temperature - one with a daily forecast and another with a bunch of data that was never there before. The current temperature is much smaller than what I had been seeing, and those do not look familiar.

How do I get back the current temperature? I don't think it was removed in 17.2 since I updated last week and this panel was working fine last night. The selected widget is called "Current Conditions", so I'm not understanding why the temperature is not being shown.

Does anyone know what I am talking about, and does your widget show something different?

EDIT:

This YouTube thumbnail is showing it! How do I get this back??

Screen Shot 2023-12-16 at 12.31.24 PM.png

Last edited:

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
If it works like regular widgets, doesn’t it switch to that display when there’s precipitation?

You may be right, but I'm not sure.

If true, that kinda sucks. In the Midwest during Winter, temperature is more relevant when it's precipitating.

Last edited:

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
doesn’t it switch to that display when there’s precipitation?

100% correct. It switched back to this after the rain stopped more than 10 hours later...

IMG_0304.PNG

Um ok, got it... this takes the grand prize for stupidity.

So some genius at Apple has decided that as long as it's raining, sleeting, hailing, or snowing, which could last for days, you don't get to see current and high/low temperatures? Something considered so "important" for current conditions that it's visually designed to take up almost 50% of the "current conditions" widget space, suddenly *poof* vanishes - for what? There's plenty of space for both. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yup, I can confirm same result in the basic widget (as attached), too. Yesterday it rained and temp disappeared for the entire day while advising me it was raining...

ADDENDUM: Same result for Weather Widget on MacOS 14.2, BTW.

(PS - for those in the US, don't panic - those are temps in Celsius. ;) )

Attachments

• IMG_9968.jpg
    IMG_9968.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Reactions: sparky672

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Surely this has to be a bug. This isn't just standby, but every Apple weather widget across iOS and iPadOS as far as I can tell. Astoundingly stupid if this is intended behaviour.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Surely this has to be a bug. This isn't just standby, but every Apple weather widget across iOS and iPadOS as far as I can tell. Astoundingly stupid if this is intended behaviour.
...and the recent update to iOS, iPad and MacOS didn't address it. Surely they would have gotten feedback on this beforehand.
'Astoundingly stupid' seems to be something Apple excels at these days.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
It actually makes sense considering it was designed in California. It's generally warm or hot so temperature is irrelevant and it's almost always sunny so rain is a significant event.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
It actually makes sense considering it was designed in California. It's generally warm or hot so temperature is irrelevant and it's almost always sunny so rain is a significant event.
Ha ha.

I think the reason is they put only 1 field to the widget. That field will usually show temperature but will change to rain or snow when that happens.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Ha ha.

I think the reason is they put only 1 field to the widget. That field will usually show temperature but will change to rain or snow when that happens.
So reviewing the attachments to my post above, they couldn't put 'Light Rain' in the location where 'Cloudy' is, and the hourly precip gauge where the 'Low / High' sits?
Clueless.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
So reviewing the attachments to my post above, they couldn't put 'Light Rain' in the location where 'Cloudy' is, and the hourly precip gauge where the 'Low / High' sits?
Clueless.
Calm down. ”Field” is a wrong word. What I meant is a group of fields that Apple groups together in the widget and seem not to want to mix and match.
Weather has 5 data while rain has 3. Seem there’s enough space for temperature for sure.

Old woman

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2024
In reply to Sparky672 the weather temperature was showing 2 days ago but last night did not show and this was before the iOS 17.3 update. I am in the UK and we get a lot of rain here but that didn’t stop the temperature showing before.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
In reply to Sparky672 the weather temperature was showing 2 days ago but last night did not show and this was before the iOS 17.3 update. I am in the UK and we get a lot of rain here but that didn’t stop the temperature showing before.

It's the same before/after 17.3 ... no change.

I see temperature only when there are no precipitation or weather service alerts. This is absolutely unacceptable since during winter in the US Midwest there are pending precipitation and weather service alerts practically every single day. If I select a temperature widget, please always show me the current temperature. It should not be that difficult.

Last edited:

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
That's not necessarily the case. Designing systemSmall widgets is an exercise in pain sometimes trying to fit everything in.

Assuming that's true, how about when the user selects a widget that most predominantly shows "temperature" as the top/largest item, that it's not unreasonable to expect it to always show temperature? It's winter in the US Midwest where we're experiencing some record breaking cold, so I'd just like to conveniently see the current temperature at a glance without opening/unlocking my phone. I don't need to be shown the same persistent weather service alert for the last 10 days straight or that it's going to be snowing/raining for the next 7 minutes.

If there's a widget that won't consistently show its advertised information, then it's no longer a convenient feature.

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Assuming that's true, how about when the user selects a widget that most predominantly shows "temperature" as the top/largest item, that it's not unreasonable to expect it to always show temperature? It's winter in the US Midwest where we're experiencing some record breaking cold, so I'd just like to conveniently see the current temperature at a glance without opening/unlocking my phone. I don't need to be shown the same persistent weather service alert for the last 10 days straight or that it's going to be snowing/raining for the next 7 minutes.

If there's a widget that won't consistently show its advertised information, then it's no longer a convenient feature.
I'm not disagreeing with you even though I actually would prefer it this way. Now it would be easy to have an option to not show the chart and just always show temps. Some of their design decisions are baffling. Why did it take us until iOS 17.2 to get a digital clock widget?

There's third party weather apps that do what you're looking for.

cyndel

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2024
What I love is, as I’m going to bed, “Light rain for the next hour.” That’s nice, but I’m home and dry. I would, however, like to keep an eye on the temperature, since that’s how I set it up.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
What I love is, as I’m going to bed, “Light rain for the next hour.” That’s nice, but I’m home and dry. I would, however, like to keep an eye on the temperature, since that’s how I set it up.

I especially love how the weather widget on the top of my AOD, which is supposed to show current temperature has instead shown me one of two pending weather service warnings non-stop for over 2 weeks.

• Severe weather alert (for 2 weeks ... yeah, no kidding, it's cold during winter!)
• Flash flood warning (again for over a week and I live nowhere near water)

While I appreciate Apple trying to prioritize urgent weather information, in many parts of the country weather service alerts/warnings are so persistent and repetitive that they're practically meaningless. Since the widget is a user-installed feature, I think they need to get back to making them work exactly as the sample indicates: an icon followed by temperature.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 9.52.00 PM.jpeg

Or maybe instead of "Conditions", they need another one called "Temperature"? And yes, it's working tonight... for the first time in weeks it's actually showing the current temperature... for now.

EDIT: So annoying.

IMG_0399.PNG

Last edited:

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Well I've just started noticing this on a new iOS 17 based phone, which is a definite downgrade from the iOS 15 version - the small size weather Forecast widget loses the temperature when rain is predicted... Sure I could use one of the Details widgets, but both of those, bafflingly, ellipsis the name of my town - with three dots instead of the last three letters of the name (so its not actually omitting any character space), because it uses a fractionally larger cloudy icon, and moves the location arrow a few pixels to the left.

Surely they could have just kept the location and weather state graphics the same?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.