Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAKart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2023
Warren, Mi
Currently, all the software I use, runs in High Sierra. How can I find out if it will still run in Mojave, if I were to upgrade?

MacMan2013

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2023
Mojave still supports 32-bit programs like High Sierra. I had no problems with anything when I upgraded.

Poncho

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Holland
Clone your High Sierra Mac to an external hard drive. Download Mojave from App store and install it on the clone. Then boot from the clone and see which programs work and which do not. I found that everything I use worked with the exception of Adobe CS3, though Photoshop still works. CS6 works. As it happens, I run Sierra on an internal HDD formatted as HFS+ and for some reason that escapes me I can boot from my external SSD clone that the Mojave installer turned into an AFSP disc. Thought this wasn't possible, but there you go...

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Currently, all the software I use, runs in High Sierra. How can I find out if it will still run in Mojave, if I were to upgrade?
I resolved the same problem in what I call an easy way. By an external SSD. Install Mojave on it. Boot from this external SSD with Mojave on. Once done, you will see the disk containing High Sierra so you will be able to access it. Go to Application and when you see a diagonal on the app icon and it's greyed out, then it won't work. Opening the app Fromm Mojave will probably not go full process since all the prefs and your profiles an plist reside on the disk with High Sierra. Some tweaks can do the trick though. Good luck.

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
I resolved the same problem in what I call an easy way. By an external SSD. Install Mojave on it. Boot from this external SSD with Mojave on. Once done, you will see the disk containing High Sierra so you will be able to access it. Go to Application and when you see a diagonal on the app icon and it's greyed out, then it won't work. Opening the app Fromm Mojave will probably not go full process since all the prefs and your profiles an plist reside on the disk with High Sierra. Some tweaks can do the trick though. Good luck.

That won't work with Mojave. That "forbidden" slash is something you'd see on Catalina and later when looking at a 32-bit app. Mojave runs 32-bit apps so that isn't a thing, except with really old PowerPC apps which wouldn't have worked in High Sierra either anyway.

Reactions: trusso

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
That won't work with Mojave. That "forbidden" slash is something you'd see on Catalina and later when looking at a 32-bit app. Mojave runs 32-bit apps so that isn't a thing, except with really old PowerPC apps which wouldn't have worked in High Sierra either anyway.
No. I use my setup and I see correctly the apps on High Sierra that don't work on Mojave. All those who don't have the slash open perfectly with Mojave. Period.

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
No. I use my setup and I see correctly the apps on High Sierra that don't work on Mojave. All those who don't have the slash open perfectly with Mojave. Period.

Pics Screen caps or it didn't happen. What started with Mojave were pop-up warnings that 32-bit apps would not be compatible with "future" versions of macOS. Mojave can still run 32-bit apps. High Sierra can run 32-bit apps. Mojave has no clue if an app will work in High Sierra but not itself. You are sorely mistaken. What you are referring to was a thing starting with Catalina. Period. You are more than welcome to prove me wrong and I will gladly eat crow for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: trusso

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
This is Apple's official stance on the matter:

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later

1694310475662.png

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
It has been ages since I updated from High Sierra to Mojave but I seem to vaguely recall that there were a small number of apps that didn’t work after the transition and the problem was NOT related to being 32-bit application but some other sort of OS 10.14 compatibility issues. The apps would open and then either freeze or close by themselves.

Sorry I don’t recall any other details but there were other problems for a small number of apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.