Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyingmanatee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Oregon
So I have a Mac Pro 1,1 I got from someone awhile back for $30, as I thought it might be fun to fix. According to the guy it was working but I've never gotten it to boot. I figured I'd see if I missed any crucial steps before junking it?

• It powers up, fans spin, HDD will spin up, GPU fan spins, no error codes
  • No boot chime
  • No picture (Whatever old Nvidia GPUs it had, and a known working Radeon 2600 XT)
  • Cannot eject DVD drive (I tried a known working drive as well) when powered up, either banging on the eject key or holding down option suggesting no response
  • I tried swapping the (it had 4 GB of RAM, 1 GB DIMMs) and swapped out with new DIMMs suspecting it was the RAM
  • Removed all the drives
  • Command Option P R seems to be a no-go, even though I tried.
  • Try pressing the button in the PCIe chamber, the one that supposedly lights up the error codes. Nothing happened.
  • I don't see any burnt traces or obvious signs of damage
Any suggestions? I'm not really attached to this but I was hoping I could just mess with the 1,1 as I never used one before (never had to try out Pike's script) and figured I might donate it if it was in working order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.