Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
Why do you need to keep the fan assembly?
I would want to keep the fan assembly simply to have spare fan's if needed, they must be removable incase you had a noisy fan later on. Plus you already own the part, unless they quoted an exchange price for the fix.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I would want to keep the fan assembly simply to have spare fan's if needed, they must be removable incase you had a noisy fan later on. Plus you already own the part, unless they quoted an exchange price for the fix.
Right, but the Apple Store is only able to quote exchange prices and to do exchanges. Only Apple Authorized Service Providers have the ability to buy and sell parts as stocking parts in the context of out of warranty repairs (warranty repairs require an exchange).

But even still, this doesn't address the fact that the original fan assembly hasn't been proven to not be suspect. If it's suspect, then why hold on to a part that's suspect?

If the goal is to buy a spare fan kit, just go to an Apple Authorized Service Provider with the serial number of the Mac Pro and they'll be happy to sell you one. It'll just be more than the exchange rate.

Dt990

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2020
Oregon
10000% this!

I'll add that Apple Authorized Service Providers generally have the flexibility to sell you a replacement part as a "stocking" part, which is to say that they do not require your defective part back. Though the parts cost is higher and almost always not worth it unless you just want the extra part to keep in stock (hence, "stocking").

Why do you need to keep the fan assembly? Isn't the entire point of this exercise to return your machine to working order? I get wanting to be in control over your own repair and over the defective part, but I'd just pay the cost to return your computer to working condition, especially if a $359 repair bill is all it is. That's honestly the best news when it comes to fixing a Mac Pro that, at the absolute minimum, was $6000 before taxes.
Tried calling the local repair shop here that's authorized and they are stonewalling too.

My main line of reasoning are the fans are working 100% properly, just the sensor is bad. I'd like poke it with a sharp stick, at worst, I have a backup set of fans for a very expensive computer and at best I'd have a fully functioning assembly.

Fans have already had issues once, I'd rather have the option on the table to fix it myself. What the ever living **** is the point a modular computer that effectively is a locked box? I don't think I'm wrong here, it's absolute madness Apple will not under any circumstance sell me the part and just let me repair it myself and absolutely criminal that they require me to return the faulty part in order to get service.

Secondly, this isn't primary work computer, it's a personal machine that I use for work sometimes, and side projects so I have a bit more flexibility with it.

/edit: called a shop in another town, awaiting quote but sounds like they'll play ball. It's a bit of a trek but I could easily fold it into visiting my friends who live there. Again, I can't believe how terrible Apple is on this: It's fan assembly on a modular computer. I'm lucky I live in a major city. The Mac Pro 2019 isn't exactly easily mailed.

Transporting a 40 pound machine isn't exactly easy for everyone either. It's not an issue for me but this could be a massive headache if you lived in a small town / remote area, and/or needed an assist moving the thing. Apple requires a two person lift when handling the Mac Pro (I saw a sticker on it when they gave it back). They might have a leg to stand on if this was under warranty but it isn't.

It's been years since I've dealt with Apple repairs, but they make a machine to make us right to repair crowd happy only to shoot themselves in the foot. I don't get it.

Last edited:

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
What the ever living **** is the point a modular computer that effectively is a locked box? I don't think I'm wrong here, it's absolute madness Apple will not under any circumstance sell me the part and just let me repair it myself and absolutely criminal that they require me to return the faulty part in order to get service.

I seem to recall Neil wasshisname the audio guy who was a great case study for the 7,1 when it came out, complaining that he couldn't get Apple to sell him a second power supply, so that he'd have one on hand if the built in one failed. His reasoning was that there was no way the warranty replacement and repair bill savings would be less than the value of his time and lost work taking the machine to Apple to have them diagnose and wait for the repair part.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
His reasoning was that there was no way the warranty replacement and repair bill savings would be less than the value of his time and lost work taking the machine to Apple to have them diagnose and wait for the repair part.
Absolutely, but the Apple way here is to buy a second Mac Pro. That's actually what people do in this situation. It's awful of course, but if a Mac really makes the workflow difference for you and it's worth it, then a second workstation doesn't necessarily make that much of a difference to the bottom line. In any case, Apple is absolutely atrocious when it comes to repairability. The current Mac Pros are almost like Macbooks now with memory soldered on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.