Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
The thread title is probably not the best. But, let me explain...

I use a MBP, and from time to time, and iPad Air, too.
During a meeting earlier this week, I was using my MBP, and had the iPad open on my left side (MBP was on the right). I was merely moving the cursor around with the trackpad on the MBP, then the cursor appeared on the iPad. But, I could not get it to go back to the MBP. I had to lock the iPad, to get the cursor back on the MBP.

Now, I do not have that 'sidecar' thing (or whatever it is called) on. Any idea how this happened, and how to prevent it? Thanks

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Sounds like universal control is switched on. The link shows you how to turn it off on your mac

Reactions: circatee

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The thread title is probably not the best. But, let me explain...

I use a MBP, and from time to time, and iPad Air, too.
During a meeting earlier this week, I was using my MBP, and had the iPad open on my left side (MBP was on the right). I was merely moving the cursor around with the trackpad on the MBP, then the cursor appeared on the iPad. But, I could not get it to go back to the MBP. I had to lock the iPad, to get the cursor back on the MBP.

Now, I do not have that 'sidecar' thing (or whatever it is called) on. Any idea how this happened, and how to prevent it? Thanks

Here's Apple's document on how to manage this. It's called Universal Control as mentioned previously: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212757
The trick to remember is that Control-Option-Command-Delete disconnects all the devices and will put the cursor back where you want.

Reactions: circatee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.