Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xyz369

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2022
Oh I think we might have a crossed wire?? You're saying the SPF record is of the TXT type, not the (discontinued) SPF type? Is that it? If so then that doesn't solve my issue. I've had it as a TXT record from the start. And I still have the SPF error
what about CNAME? Try to "dig sig1._domainkey.yourdomain" command or check it at nslookup.io

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
+1 I'd love to know if you found a solution to this. Anything you can report?
I'm so sorry. After multiple experiments, it did clear up...but now I don't remember what finally did the trick. I was on with several support folks.

One thing I do remember is that I restored my prior (Google, in my case) settings. The instructions said to delete some of them, and it's important to delete ONLY the ones they specify. I had erroneously presumed that meant the whole batch.

eN0ch

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Crookwell NSW Australia
I'm so sorry. After multiple experiments, it did clear up...but now I don't remember what finally did the trick. I was on with several support folks.

One thing I do remember is that I restored my prior (Google, in my case) settings. The instructions said to delete some of them, and it's important to delete ONLY the ones they specify. I had erroneously presumed that meant the whole batch.
Oh well ... ?‍♂️ ... If all else fails, hopefully the Apple engineers can get me through it. (The support ticket has been escalated to, them; the more junior monkeys are as stumped as I am). It's Apple. What more can one say?

eN0ch

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Crookwell NSW Australia
what about CNAME? Try to "dig sig1._domainkey.yourdomain" command or check it at nslookup.io
It all looks like it should (I think?). The several DNS validator sites I've tried all give it a bunch of ticks. And then this from dig:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
sig1._domainkey.mydomain.com. 3600 IN CNAME sig1.dkim.mydomain.com.at.icloudmailadmin.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
at.icloudmailadmin.com. 300 IN SOA ns-prod.jackfruit.edge.apple.com. hostmaster.apple.com. 31535 240 600 604800 300

That's all about right, isn't it?? (Disclaimer: I'm not much of a geek ...)

xyz369

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2022
It all looks like it should (I think?). The several DNS validator sites I've tried all give it a bunch of ticks. And then this from dig:

That's all about right, isn't it?? (Disclaimer: I'm not much of a geek ...)
There's nothing wrong.

I found here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212524 that, If you already have an SPF record, simply add "include:icloud.com" to the value before "~all". I think the problem is somewhere here.

eN0ch

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Crookwell NSW Australia
Well guess what ... it's suddenly sorted. As best I can tell, what fixed it was removing a second "include:" domain from the SPF value. (Now to hope that doesn't foul up something else).

Reactions: srbNYC

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2021
France
I was using a test domain for a while initially and have now been using my work and personal domains for the past month without any major issues. There have been a couple of brief general iCloud mail blips where it would give an error connecting to the server, but didn’t last long.

Just make sure you’re aware of the limitations before switching - 3 aliases per domain, max 5 domains.

If you have a custom domain, can you create unlimited email address ?
I'm not talking about alias, want to be able to send mail from each email.

Thank you

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Moved my email over from GSuite Legacy today to iCloud Custom Domain. Can say I’m 100% happy. Also found out SMTP is supported but you must use your default iCloud email as the username. And also email forwarding works. Needed one of my aliases to forward to my Help Desk service for my small business. After an hour of troubleshooting, found out rules need to be created for this via the iCloud website and not Mac mail.
iCloud custom domains is alot more advanced than advertised. And can easily replace Google & 365 if you run a small business or for family domains. Also noticed that it connects directly now with Cloudflare now and adds the records automatically. That was a bonus.

Reactions: Roadster Lewis

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
If you have a custom domain, can you create unlimited email address ?
I'm not talking about alias, want to be able to send mail from each email.

Thank you
Limit is 3 addresses per domain. But yes you can send from each one. Just change the from in Apple Mail. They all appear.

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2021
France
Limit is 3 addresses per domain. But yes you can send from each one. Just change the from in Apple Mail. They all appear.
3 adresses is too few... ?
With Outlook we can have 10 adresses (alias) for each Outlook account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.