Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MFJones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
This may not be possible, but I'm checking to see if anyone knows of a way to utilize the mac function keys as they are setup by default (so they would adjust brightness, volume, etc.) but to treat them as standard function keys for specified apps (primarily excel).

I know I can override the default and select for the function keys to be treated like standard function keys all the time which would solve for the excel but then it creates another problem. So just seeing if there is a way to get the best of both worlds (using default function keys for everything but standard function key treatment for a specified app like excel).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
This may not be possible, but I'm checking to see if anyone knows of a way to utilize the mac function keys as they are setup by default (so they would adjust brightness, volume, etc.) but to treat them as standard function keys for specified apps (primarily excel).

I know I can override the default and select for the function keys to be treated like standard function keys all the time which would solve for the excel but then it creates another problem. So just seeing if there is a way to get the best of both worlds (using default function keys for everything but standard function key treatment for a specified app like excel).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Have you tried using the FN key in combination with the function key?

MFJones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Have you tried using the FN key in combination with the function key?
Yes, I can definitely do that for the inverse of which ever setup I choose. TBH, i'm just lazy and trying to solve for avoiding using the FN key in either setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.