Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
any app, or simple way to do this?

am using a 3rd-party keyboard with my imac. no esc key! i remapped (in sys prefs>keyboard) the esc key to the caps lock key, but... wondering if there's a simple app or something to allow me to create a mapping (ie 'option-1' or something similar).

anyone? (i know some touch bar users miss the physical key, so figure there must be a way to do this...)

brookter1

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2015
You want Karabiner Elements — it’s a free program which gives you a lot of control over how your keyboard works. It has a simple mode which allows you to do straight remapping (eg remapping say the Caps Lock key, or a function key to Escape), but it can also do more complex remapping.

For example, I have set it up so that a single tap on the Caps Lock key = Escape, but holding it down acts as another Control key (the latter is the single biggest improvement you can make to any keyboard!). Similarly, a tap on the Return key = Return, but holding it acts again as another Control key. (I enter Caps Lock mode by pressing both shift keys together.)

These are very useful enhancements — and fortunately, they’re available for download from the site, so it doesn’t require any programming skill.

You can find it here: https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/. (I’m not affiliated it with BTW, just a happy user... it’s the second program I install on a new Mac, after Keyboard Maestro.)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
You want Karabiner Elements — it’s a free program which gives you a lot of control over how your keyboard works. It has a simple mode which allows you to do straight remapping (eg remapping say the Caps Lock key, or a function key to Escape), but it can also do more complex remapping.

For example, I have set it up so that a single tap on the Caps Lock key = Escape, but holding it down acts as another Control key (the latter is the single biggest improvement you can make to any keyboard!). Similarly, a tap on the Return key = Return, but holding it acts again as another Control key. (I enter Caps Lock mode by pressing both shift keys together.)

These are very useful enhancements — and fortunately, they’re available for download from the site, so it doesn’t require any programming skill.

You can find it here: https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/. (I’m not affiliated it with BTW, just a happy user... it’s the second program I install on a new Mac, after Keyboard Maestro.)

ha, downloaded it 15 minutes ago! and mapped the left arrow & right arrow to the system volume up/down; am good using apple's default option to make the caps lock key my escape key.

thanx tho! good info for others as well....

Reactions: brookter1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.