Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Cutting the Cable Guide,
but preserving content.
A work in progress.
UPDATE IN PROGRESS Jan 2022
some info maybe out of date

If you see something that is glaringly wrong or outdated, please post in a way that get’s my attention, and I’ll be happy to update the info.

Updates:
* 1April24- Added Paramount Plus info
* Jan 2022- Added blurb on Fiber Optics install for internet just below.
* Jul 2021- Added comment on watching the Olympic and updated Roku vs Apple TV section. Added Philo, Hulu, and YouTubeTV to site list. Updated Netflix info under Sites.
* May 2021- Updated HBO.
* July 2019- Added a note in the What is the downside? section: Is your Smart tv equal to having a having a dedicated Roku or Apple TV box?

Dec 2021-
With the neighborhood install of fiber optics we dropped basic cable, now pure streaming. If youbare interested in US Football, which I’m really not, you will have to research the best way to watch it.
Fiber Optics for internet- See this post:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cutting-the-cable-guide.2009652/post-30816555

How are you watching the Olympics?

I am currently watching it on SlingTV, NBC Sports Network.

Apr 2019 Note: It’s been 3 years since I created this thread. Three months after cutting my cable service, I came back to cable because my wife was insisting on better American Football coverage. I just tried to cancel my cable a second time, but was not completely successful. I kept basic cable because I could get a better price for internet and security monitoring packaged, versus completely cutting cable tv service.
*Jan 2017- cancelled my Sling TV subscription, and reverted back to cable due to a lower cable price being offered and some issues getting U.S. Football. Also some network apps require that you have a cable company subscription before they will let you watch their content. $%*&@!!
*27Oct- Added info on AppleTV vs Roku and information on how to stream ABC Network content. Updated info to reflect that the SlingTV Blue option does not include all of the Orange Option. The Orange option has football content not found on the Blue option. Added Sections: Apple TV vs Roku, about TVs in Your Bedrooms, a section for Football coverage, an What's the Downside?
*1Sept 2016- Info originally posted in this thread, but it's buried in that thread. I've organize the info included in that thread and made updates such as info about the Sling TV Blue vs Orange package and how to stream ABC on demand.

2019- Here are some advantages, of streaming and some observations:
  • From what I can tell, the Cable company takes their cut, so you are paying a premium and paying for things you don’t want.
  • Sling TV (or maybe Hulu and the like) is cheaper and carries most if not all of the cable channels I’ve watched in the past, like AMC, FX, of SyFy, that are included in the higher tier cable packages. So I can watch these shows live like I did with my cable company.
  • Also for a case where you want to watch last year’s episodes, cable companies have the same limited access, most if not all older content will not be available in their on demand, as more networks try to monetize their old shows with plus streaming services.
  • ...except I recorded most of them to watch later, many of the streaming services now include DVR which Suddenlink charged $20 a month just for that.
  • For original content from other providers like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and soon to be Apple TV, you would be paying for these even with cable.
  • We only watch one show on broadcast TV, Modern Family (ABC) which is in it’s last season, and practically everything else we watch is streamed, much of it dumped into the streaming trough in it’s entirety and able to be bing watched from the start.
  • And finally with the skimpy seasons we have these days as short a 10 shows and sometimes less, if you don’t care when you watch a show, it’s easy to subscribe for 1 month, watch the season, and then unsubscribe. you’ll come out ahead versus paying the cable company for access all year long whether you are watching something or not.

The Question: What is the Downside?
* Recording Shows-
You may be used to DVR/Tivo recording. I've not yet found a way to do this. My impression with this option you may be held hostage to how much On Demand content each network makes available. Streaming hubs like SlingTV offer DVR for a low price.
*On Demand- Seems to be reduced as compared to what can be found through your Cable provider. A good example is ABC shows. However this is offset by either the On Demand which can be found on individual streaming sources (FX on SlingTV includes On Demand for current season) or by using a network streaming app found on Apple TV. See Apple TV vs Roku an the info provided on how to stream ABC shows.
Update- On demand, depending where you get it (without a cable company) can be just as limited either way. Sometimes you can find show that all ready been broadcast/seasons on the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other like Hulu.
* You might have to watch commercials again- that is if you are used to recording your shows and the some network shows won't let you fast forward through their streaming content.
* TVs in your bedrooms- maybe yes maybe no. Smart TVs have the ability to connect to your internet via wireless. Many now have Netflix, but they don't have Roku or Apple TV. One of those may have to be purchased for each bedroom TV and it's been reported that you can only use one such device at a time. There is a Roku Stick, but I'm not sure if that works completely independently of a regular Roku box or works in conjunction it.

Apple TV or Roku or Both? (Updated Jul21)
June 2021- The answer is you don’t need both for content the other does not have. There was a time when Apple had HBO Now, but Roku did not. Roku had Amazon Prime Video, but Apple TV did not. Now, both of those networks are available on both and Roku includes the Apple TV channel.

Is Your Smart TV the equivalent of having a Roku or Apple TV box?
2019- Smart TVs have the ability to install network apps on them, but it depends on the TV how robust they are as a streaming hub. Our new Visio 4k TV does not have access to all the network channel apps that dedicated Roku or Apple TV boxes have.

Sites:
* Cutcabletoday:
http://www.cutcabletoday.com/
* Feeln- https://www.feeln.com/supported-devices.
* Hulu- https://www.hulu.com/welcome plans from $6-65.
* Netflix- https://www.netflix.com/ $9-$18 a month. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/24926
* Philo.com- https://www.philo.com/ 60+channels $25 a month.
* Sling TV: https://www.sling.com 40+ for $25 per month. AMC, CNN, Hist, NBC, FX, SyFy, NatGeo, MSNBC. Roku and Apple TV. Note: Sling TV requires a 4th gen Apple TV.
- Sling TV Options
- How to access On Demand on Sling TV.
https://whatson.sling.com/announcem...-to-access-sling-tvs-video-on-demand-library/
- Orange Package- $20
- Blue Package- $25 (includes all of Orange)
- MSNBC: Has been added to Sling Blue.
- Turner Classic Movies: Hollywood Package: $5.
*YouTube TV- https://tv.youtube.com/

Specific Channels:
AMC
- http://www.cutcabletoday.com/amc-live-stream/
How to Watch AMC Online without Cable
1. See which streaming services offer an AMC live stream — Sling TV and PlayStation Vue.
2. Compare their offerings to see which streaming service is a better fit for you.
3. Sign up for a free trial to test out the streaming service.
4. Download the app on your streaming device (Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Xbox, iOS or Android phone/tablet, computer, etc.)
5. Open the streaming app and watch AMC online.

ABC- get the latest version of Apple TV (4th generation) with App support to find current season episodes for streaming. A case where AppleTV > Roku. ABC on Roku has zero On Demand, just live streaming. There appears to be a limit on ATV in that you can't view an episode until it is a week old.
HBO- It looks like HBO Go has been replace with HBO Max. If I understand it correctly, HBO requires a cable provider.
NBC- on Roku appears to have episodes for streaming, but have not yet tested then for availability.
Hallmark- https://www.feeln.com/supported-devices.Apple TV, Roku.
MSNBC- Sling TV: http://www.cutcabletoday.com/msnbc-live-stream/
Paramount+ Essential $5.99 a month, $59 per year includes commercials bummer. https://www.paramountplus.com/
Paramount ++Showtime $11.99 a month. $120 per year. This eliminates commercials on streamed shows, and if you buy it by the year, you are paying $4 per month for Showtime. A good deal if you are into showtime programming.
PBS- http://www.cutcabletoday.com/watch-pbs-online/ found on Roku.
* Added 11Aug17- Grantchester Seasons 1&2 are available on Amazon Prime. Season 2&3, maybe 1 are available on Apple TV , the PBS App. I'm not sure if local cable service is required to access PBS content on this app.
*12Aug17- I'm irritated at PBS because the third season of Grantchester ended in May, but the Local Station did not carry it. Now maybe I could have watched it for free back then on the PBS app, but now on Apple TV there is a message that I must subscribe to PBS passport, a one year subscriotion for $60. I give PBS money during their fund raising drives, but don't subscribe, and have them listed as my charity in Amazon Smile. So for now, I'm watching Season 2 on Amazon prime and will think about Season 3 later. Maybe eventually it will end up on Prine.
TCM: http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/. This site says it’s available on Sling TV? http://www.rokuguide.com/articles/sling-tv-adds-turner-classic-movies-ae-history-and-more

What about TVs in Your Bedrooms?
One of drawbacks of cutting the cable are those TVs in your and guest bedrooms. Our bedroom tv has wireless built-in Netflix but no Roku or Apple TV. I'm wondering if a Roku Streaming Stick would solve the issue?
Anyone using multiple Roku devices in one house with a single Roku account? I'd like to hear about it. :)

MC6800 (Sept 2016)- I've had no problem using the Netflix app on more than one device, except that it will only let you view on one device at a time. That's for a normal account-- don't know about others.

American Football On SlingTV:
The SlingTV Blue package includes Fox Sports. NBC (Blue Package) which should cover Sunday Night football, but is in the process of being released in major markets for streaming, and Houston does not yet have it (Dallas Ft Worth, L.A. and some other cities have it.) The NFL Network (Blue Package) is supposed to carry Thursday Night Football. But unfortunately for Monday Night Football, ESPN is required, and that requires another $15 for the combined Blue+Orange package. As the Super Bowl in 2017 is being covered by Fox, I'll cancel the Orange package in Jan after the playoffs.

Sling TV Support
Sept 2016- After using SlingTV for a week, I'll report it works great, but it's customer service leaves much to be desired, not that they don't help, but the inefficient means they offer customer support about your questions. After you locate the place to send them a help request, you'll discover there is no troubleshooting web portal customer service ticket system and there is no way to talk to them on the phone. Guess that saves money. :rolleyes:

When you submit a question, you'll see a message that says "watch your in basket", no not any basket in their website, but your email in-basket. About 6-12 hrs later you'll get a response. The first one of these I got I was irritated because while they told me they were working diligently to answer my question, they did not bother to answer the question I had sent them, such as how to edit your MyTV list? The answer btw is to scroll the list to the far far far right and you'll see an edit button.

PS, if you plan on paying up front 3 months for either a Roku or an Apple TV (discounted price), do that before you sign up for the one week trial. However, even during or after the trial, you can still take advantage of the offer, by emailing them and offering to pay for 3 months in advance, and they will make it happen.

z06GAL (Oct2016)- Hi Huntn. I wanted to offer my experience with Sling support. If you have a Twitter account and follow @slinganswers, you can tweet them via direct message and they have been absolutely great for me. The first time I asked them to follow me back and direct message me which they did in about 15 minutes. I had an account question that they fixed for me. I have the Blue package plus TCM and my experience has been great. The UI could be better but I have had virtually no real streaming problems on the Atv4. I started with Sling when it was in beta and it was definitely raw but it has come a really long way since.

How I did it Sept 2016:
Update Sept 2016: Canceled Feel'n. The Hallmark shows my wife watches (like Frazier reruns) can be found on Netflix. Added the SlingTV Orange Option for the football season, will cancel that in February.

Turned off cable, upped my internet to the top speed (no data limits $75), and subscribed to SlingTV. I already had a Roku and and an older AppleTV, but I had to upgrade the Apple TV to 4th generation, with App support (which I got through a discount via my Sling subscription $85).

My June 2016 Suddenlink bill was $196.87.
- That bill included- TV, Tivo, Internet, Home security.
* Upped my internet from 50Mbps (250GB data per month) to 200Mbps, (unlimited data).
* Kept monitored security system.

New Price: $95.27
That's a saving of approx $100 that will be offset by Sling TV 40+ channels per month for $25.00 an Feel'n (Hallmark Network) $36 for a year.

I've also got TCM on SlingTV (I think), and PBS is free on Roku. As far as I can tell all the tv shows are available on demand. Just checked The Strain in FX (SlingTV) and the episode that aired last Sunday is there for viewing.

Total projected savings per month: $67+ plus I'm really liking how SlingTV presents shows for watching, a SLEW of movies, which I had to dig for on Suddenlink, and my internet just got a big kick in the pants. :D

Misc Info- My bedroom has a Roku- Internet Wifi capable Blue Ray player hooked to the TV. I'm set I think.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I miss recording my shows, specifically FF through commercials. :p Is there an option?

Yes for over-the-air recording, but your particular solution seems to avoid OTA.

In fact I had a plugin that opened the recordings, ran through the file to detect where commercials were, and either marked them with chapter stops (so you could skip the commercials exactly with one skip button press) or simply edited them out into a new commercial-less file. Good stuff!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes for over-the-air recording, but your particular solution seems to avoid OTA.

In fact I had a plugin that opened the recordings, ran through the file to detect where commercials were, and either marked them with chapter stops (so you could skip the commercials exactly with one skip button press) or simply edited them out into a new commercial-less file. Good stuff!

On your computer I assume?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Flash!

After a +3 month streaming experiment, we have reverted back to cable, and apparently our cable provider (Suddenlink) is adapting to the competition- they now offer 200 channels for $30* which includes everything we want.

*Actually more than $30 with the monthly Tivo/DVR charge.

What motivated me to change back besides that?

Well my spouse, who is heavily dependent on American football and despite having all of the Sling TV channels that were supposed to offer Football, Fox, ESPN, NBC Sports, frequently when trying to toon in we were faced with "no football today" messages. For why? I have no idea although it might have something to do with sell out vs no sellout.

We also got DVR back.

I've also noted on the streaming channels that the on-demand content is very limited as compared to what it was on cable. For example I have SyFy Network streaming on SlingTV, decided after reading the book, I wanted to go back and see the entire season of The Expanse on SyFy, however it's not available on the streaming channel. All of Season 1 is up for viewing on Cable.

Update April 2019: The following statement is not accurate, because the price was a promotion:
So there it is for now. I still want ala-carte pricing. But at $30 for 200 channels, (plus $15 for the DVR) it is getting pretty competitive.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Update: SyFy has quite a few shows available for viewing on demand, but not The Expanse Season 1. Just a list for leftover insider talk about the episodes. :(

SYFY Now-App Apple TV, the place to catch up on episodes... except for The Expanse... no.

Eureka, it's available on Amazon. It appears free to watch, not sure if this is part of Amazon Prime, but there are buy options, I'm guessing to own permanently.

Last edited:

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Flash!

After a +3 month streaming experiment, we have reverted back to cable, and apparently our cable provider (Suddenlink) is adapting to the competition- they now offer 200 channels for $30* which includes everything we want.

*Actually more than $30 with the monthly Tivo/DVR charge.

What motivated me to change back besides that?

Well my spouse, who is heavily dependent on American football and despite having all of the Sling TV channels that were supposed to offer Football, Fox, ESPN, NBC Sports, frequently when trying to toon in we were faced with "no football today" messages. For why? I have no idea although it might have something to do with sell out vs no sellout.

We also got DVR back.

I've also noted on the streaming channels that the on-demand content is very limited as compared to what it was on cable. For example I have SyFy Network streaming on SlingTV, decided after reading the book, I wanted to go back and see the entire season of The Expanse on SyFy, however it's not available on the streaming channel. All of Season 1 is up for viewing on Cable.

So there it is for now. I still want ala-carte pricing. But at $30 for 200 channels, (plus $15 for the DVR) it is getting pretty competitive.

I'm sorry you guys decided to go back to cable. But that deal is way too good to pass up! It's great to see how competition is pushing prices down. :)

I tried Slings $20 package in October after cancelling Uverse TV. The only reason I did that was for college football. The Sling app is terrible on all devices IMO, so I signed up for DirecTV Now this month. It's been great, and you get a free Apple TV if you prepay for 3 months. My current setup is:

Charter Cable 60Mbps down: $39.99/mo
Netflix streaming: $9.99/mo
DirecTV Now 100 channels: $35/mo

So, for $84.98/mo we're getting everything we cared about that we were getting from a cable/internet bundle that costs anywhere between $150 and $200. Never going back!

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
I unplugged the cable but didn't cut the chord as it would cost me more if I did:
  1. Netflix ($10/month)
  2. Amazon Prime ($99/year)
  3. CW App and others (no need to record) on ATV (Free with purchase of ATV)
  4. HBO app (free with cable package $66/month)
  5. Other means

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm sorry you guys decided to go back to cable. But that deal is way too good to pass up! It's great to see how competition is pushing prices down. :)

I tried Slings $20 package in October after cancelling Uverse TV. The only reason I did that was for college football. The Sling app is terrible on all devices IMO, so I signed up for DirecTV Now this month. It's been great, and you get a free Apple TV if you prepay for 3 months. My current setup is:

Charter Cable 60Mbps down: $39.99/mo
Netflix streaming: $9.99/mo
DirecTV Now 100 channels: $35/mo

So, for $84.98/mo we're getting everything we cared about that we were getting from a cable/internet bundle that costs anywhere between $150 and $200. Never going back!

Intermittent football was the deal breaker on SlingTV, everything else seemed to work well.

Another issue I've not focused on is that in the Houston area, internet via Suddenlink is the worst internet we've had to rely on of the places we've lived. It's not going out every day, but it goes out on a semi-regular basis, and when you rely on internet for everything it's all or nothing. At least with cable, when the net goes out, you still have cable, usually. ;)
[doublepost=1482939822][/doublepost]
I unplugged the cable but didn't cut the chord as it would cost me more if I did:
  1. Netflix ($10/month)
  2. Amazon Prime ($99/year)
  3. CW App and others (no need to record) on ATV (Free with purchase of ATV)
  4. HBO app (free with cable package $66/month)
  5. Other means

There is not a separate fee for HBO or are you referencing a promo?

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Intermittent football was the deal breaker on SlingTV, everything else seemed to work well.

Another issue I've not focused on is that in the Houston area, internet via Suddenlink is the worst internet we've had to rely on of the places we've lived. It's not going out every day, but it goes out on a semi-regular basis, and when you rely on internet for everything it's all or nothing. At least with cable, when the net goes out, you still have cable, usually. ;)
[doublepost=1482939822][/doublepost]

Was the problem with local NFL games? I'm guessing those were TV blackouts, but I would have though that would affect cable and streaming services the same.

I watch mainly college football, which usually does get blacked out.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Was the problem with local NFL games? I'm guessing those were TV blackouts, but I would have though that would affect cable and streaming services the same.

I watch mainly college football, which usually does get blacked out.

Not local (as I recall) and in those cases, no explanation was given as to why the game was not available for viewing.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I was having a conversation with someone (on FB) just recently and talking about how we CTC over two years ago, chatted about different services, etc., and as part of that my setup for OTA came up. He was good with the idea of an antenna but not so hip on dealing with multiple cable runs and TVs.

I recalled you had this thread, so figured I'd drop this in :)

I'm using a HomeRunHD box to distribute OTA signals through my home network. This is a simple little box (the prices spiked for a few weeks, but you should be able to find one for ~$100), that has 2-tuners, a coax in (from the antenna), power, and an ethernet port.

Once you've got everything connected, there are several apps for accessing the signal in the network, available on iOS devices, Windows/MacOS, and AppleTVs (plus several others). It's usually "auto discover", so very little configuration is needed. There are free guides in some of the apps, Plex plugins, DVR apps/services, it just works pretty fantastic, and costs 1x HomerunHD Connect, 1x an antenna(using an attic mounted, powered setup, was under $35 for the antenna and mounting bracket) - then the apps, that are from free to about $20.

Last edited:
Reactions: KindJamz

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was having a conversation with someone (on FB) just recently and talking about how we CTC over two years ago, chatted about different services, etc., and as part of that my setup for OTA came up. He was good with the idea of an antenna but not so hip on dealing with multiple cable runs and TVs.

I recalled you had this thread, so figured I'd drop this in :)

I'm using a HomeRunHD box to distribute OTA signals through my home network. This is a simple little box (the prices spiked for a few weeks, but you should be able to find one for ~$100), that has 2-tuners, a coax in (from the antenna), power, and an ethernet port.

Once you've got everything connected, there are several apps for accessing the signal in the network, available on iOS devices, Windows/MacOS, and AppleTVs (plus several others). It's usually "auto discover", so very little configuration is needed. There are free guides in some of the apps, Plex plugins, DVR apps/services, it just works pretty fantastic, and costs 1x HomerunHD Connect, 1x an antenna(using an attic mounted, powered setup, was under $35 for the antenna and mounting bracket) - then the apps, that are from free to about $20.

Are you talking accessing local channels with this setup? One of the problems I have is that I'm so far from downtown and tv transmissions, I might need an attenna above the roof line which I'm not keen on.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Are you talking accessing local channels with this setup? One of the problems I have is that I'm so far from downtown and tv transmissions, I might need an attenna above the roof line which I'm not keen on.

Oh yeah, if it wasn't clear, that's for Over-the-Air (OTA, ABC, NBC, Fox, etc.) local broadcast via an antenna, so yes, you have to be able to receive the signals, and that could range from a simple Moho/Amazon "leaf" to a full tilt, roof mounted antenna from the 70s :D

Honestly, we don't watch much network TV, but when the occasion does come up, this is a neat solution.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm seriously thinking about cutting the cable. I'm paying about 150 dollars for DirectTV (1 DVR + 2 other TVs) and while the DVR is a great feature and the loss of that might be a show stopper, I'm still looking to see what's out there.

One of my goals is to embrace a simple solution, because if I set up something that some shows are only seen on an Apple TV, and others on Chromecast, and yet still others on a playstation, its going to fail. While The AppleTV offers a nice mixture of services, I'm liking the liking the combination of netflix and Sony's PS Vue on the playstation. Since I already have netflix and I'm paying for that, I'll not count that in the equation of saving money (this may sound twisted but its how I think). 99% of the channels we watch are on the most basic tier of PS Vue and so that will only cost me 30 dollars (plus taxes), where as I'm paying 150 dollars and only watch a handful of channels.
Capto_Capture 2017-05-30_06-17-13_AM.png

Sony Vue can stream to up to 5 devices, it offers a "DVR in the Cloud" which to me is just marketing mumbo jumbo and its just a plain old streaming service. there are other tiers but I like the channel mixture of the Access Slim

Alternatives:
AppleTv - I'm currently investigating this and seeing what's available.
DirectTV streaming - seems kind of odd to cancel DirectTV just to watch it, but this may make sense, but I need the ability to stream it to a TV, not sure if there's a PS4/PS3 app, or I'll need an AppleTV
SlingTV - I seen commercials for this and this seems mostly an ala carte set up.
Finally I may spend some money and get a hi-def antenna to receive the network stages (ABC/CBS/NBC) - not sure how that will work, but living in the Boston area this may work if I find my football games are not being broadcast on the streaming service of my choice.

I just started kicking around this idea but I've been slowly coming to a realization that my family only watches about 5 to 10 channels on DirectTV. I know I can change to a lower tier and that might save me 10 to 20 bucks but still the fact remains I'm paying for a service that I barely use, where as other services appear to fit our viewing needs better for a lot less.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
ony Vue can stream to up to 5 devices, it offers a "DVR in the Cloud" which to me is just marketing mumbo jumbo and its just a plain old streaming service.
I've been doing some digging and I was wrong, the cloud DVR is just that a DVR that you record your shows too. Hulu and PS Vue offer this, DirectTV does not, though rumors are that it may come next year.

I've been going over the channel line ups and comparing them, so far, it seems that DirectTVNow offers the most in its various packages with the JustRight package looking to be in the sweetspot.

This link here has a comparison of DirectTVNow channels that I found useful.

I'm still fairly impressed with the PS Vue even if it offers less channels then DirectTVNow. I think I lose out on about 3 channels, I'm not sure of those missing channels are show stoppers - Spike and the Nick channels. I'm not sure if my kids watch a lot of nick tv anymore. While Vue has some missing channels, it has the cloud DVR DirectTV does not, it allows 5 simultaneous devices to watch, where as DirectTV limits you to 2.

I crossed off Hulu from my list, while it has a cloud based DVR the channels being offered don't align with our watching habits.

SlingTV is the next one on my list to research

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Vue was fantastic, but we left when they lost the Viacom channels (Comedy Central, Spike, Nickelodeon, etc.). I'd go back if they ever manage to make another deal with Viacom.

Now we have DirecTV Now, which is pretty good in spite of its earlier growing pains. It's $35/mo at the grandfathered rate + free HBO for a year. Add $9/mo Showtime via Amazon Prime, and it's a great alternative to traditional cable.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Vue was fantastic, but we left when they lost the Viacom channels (Comedy Central, Spike, Nickelodeon, etc.).
I'm leaning heavily towards PS Vue, though the lack of Nickelodeon may be a big stumbling block. I'm thinking of picking up a Apple TV because the wireless will be faster on that then my PS4 and besides it will give me a chance to try out other streaming services.

What PS Vue has going for it, is not only the channel selection at a nice price but the cloud based DVR - Something that DirectTVNow does not have. Basically the 35 dollar package from PS Vue offers me the same if not more then DirecTVNow's 50 dollar package (With the exception of a Nickelodeon)

I just saw there's a Nick app, so that's the final piece of the puzzle, at least for my pre-work.

Next steps, is to get an AppleTV, test it out, ensure everything is what I expect it to be and then cancel DirectTV before my next billing cycle.

Last edited:

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I'm leaning heavily towards PS Vue, though the lack of Nickelodeon may be a big stumbling block. I'm thinking of picking up a Apple TV because the wireless will be faster on that then my PS4 and besides it will give me a chance to try out other streaming services.

What PS Vue has going for it, is not only the channel selection at a nice price but the cloud based DVR - Something that DirectTVNow does not have. Basically the 35 dollar package from PS Vue offers me the same if not more then DirecTVNow's 50 dollar package (With the exception of a Nickelodeon)

I just saw there's a Nick app, so that's the final piece of the puzzle, at least for my pre-work.

Next steps, is to get an AppleTV, test it out, ensure everything is what I expect it to be and then cancel DirectTV before my next billing cycle.

I think you'll like Vue. Not sure how much free content the Nickelodeon app has without being signed into a cable/satellite provider, but if you can find a workaround for Viacom channels, Vue is far and away the best choice right now.

The great thing about all these streaming services is now it's so easy to switch back and forth at will. No more contract nonsense.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think I said a while back that I had reverted to cable due to issues with U.S. Football coverage which was hit and miss regardless of what Sling TV says. :rolleyes: Of note, this was my wife's issue not mine. I'm no longer following football like I did in my youth.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting, one thing I've found really irritating is that some of the network apps, like ABC, NBC, they either make you wait for a couple of weeks before you can watch a show or worse, they want you to sign in with your cable company log-in before they will let you watch it at all! :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Anyway, the reason I'm posting, one thing I've found really irritating is that some of the network apps, like ABC, NBC, they either make you wait for a couple of weeks before you can watch a show or worse, they want you to sign in with your cable company log-in before they will let you watch it at all! :(

I'm going to be starting my free trial of PS VUE this weekend, and I'll see how the local stations work. I also have in my Amazon shopping cart a hi-def antenna so I can possibly get those channels over the air. Tbh, I'm not sure if this will work to well, but its my fall back plan. I'm more into collage football, and I think that gives me some opportunities since I'm not married to the network stations.

Edit: CBS and NBC are streaming live, but ABC and FOX are on demand.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been on PS Vue now for a few days and I've been running it through my PS 4. I connect via wireless but the PS 4 does not use the latest wireless tech but even so connection speed has been good. I'll be looking to pick up an Apple TV soon, hopefully today.

A couple of bumps in the road but nothing unexpected, first while I get the Science channel, mythbusters is not streaming, it seems that its getting blocked. Googling it, my issue is not a technical one but for some reason, the owners of Mythbusters is preventing it. With the apple tv, it may work via their app we'll see. Given that the show is in reruns, is odd to see it blocked, but on the flip side since it is in reruns, I'm not missing anything,

Other issue, the DVR is less robust as the one I have with DirectTV. Not a show stopper but something I need to adjust too.

Adjusting to a guide/channel lineup that doesn't use channel numbers is an adjustment in of is own

Overall, I'm ready to pull the plug on DirectTV, though I know they'll offer to take 20 bucks off my bill AND give me the NFL package for free. That's what they did the lat time I threatened to cancel, but this time we're talking about 35 dollars a month vs. 150. Even if I opt for a second streaming service to fill out the channel lineup, the savings is too significant to pass up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.