Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
One of my favorite Windows video-editing applications, Cyberlink PowerDirector, now finally comes in a Mac OS version! For a long time since it first came out in the early 2000s, it was Windows-only. But then in late 2019, after the success of the Android version (which I used as my video editor of choice on my old Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone), Apple came out with an iOS-compatible version. While noticeably more limited than the Windows version, it was a nice alternative to iMovie and gives you a bit more power.
But since Apple introduced the M1 processor for their Macs, Cyberlink was aware that iOS apps could now be run on those Macs, and last month developed a Mac OS version of Cyberlink PowerDirector!

Looking at the screencaps and feature list, it's very much like the Windows version in terms of interface and features, and is WAY more feature-packed than iMovie to the point where it comes close to Final Cut Pro X in some features! This is a very good thing, because I felt that ever since Adobe came out with a Mac-compatible version of Adobe Premiere Elements, it provided a good affordable video editing program for consumers and hobbyists that already want to go beyond iMovie but are not ready to learn (or can afford) Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro. And now Cyberlink has their own alternative with PowerDirector! It uses the same "365" subscription plan as its' Windows counterpart, but it's pretty affordable, with $69 a year being their most affordable plan available.

Any comments?

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I am out of the video editing game. I remember how easy it was to create video on iMovie, then Apple decided to create the newer version with the black theme. It was so confusing and un-intuitive. Maybe it needs time to learn but that is against the philosophy of iMovie of simplifying video creation to someone who has never done it before. Final Cut is an overkill.

Years later a friend told me, another friend told him, to use PowerDirect to create a short video. I don't like no name, non-standard software. Always flagship by major companies. I thought no way a Windows app with no name company will be as good as iMovie, even iMovie is difficult now. When he showed me PowerDirect I thought to myself "Wow, this is so powerful yet so simple to use" I didn't even have to learn anything and I could use it.

Glad to see more apps coming to the MacOS platform. Its finally here and I never thought I would see this since Windows developers hardly think about creating a MacOS app but surprisingly its here. Maybe in the future if I ever need to use a video editor. My post here is just a kudos to Cyberlink where they beat Apple in their own game, and that is to make technology accessible and invisible to the average joe.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I know this thread is almost two years old, but with the recent version upgrade, PowerDirector is now a Universal MacOS application, rather than being Intel-only (but I was able to run it just fine on my M1 MacBook Air anyways thanks to Rosetta 2). They've since added some more features that were originally only in the Windows version, but not all of them. Nonetheless it's still great for Mac video makers that want to go beyond iMovie but aren't ready for Final Cut Pro, DaVinci Resolve or Adobe Premiere Pro yet or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.