Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
Cord Camera just opened a new location here in Dayton and they're running an ad:

Nikon D50 body
Tamron 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 XR lens
Epson PictureMate Express
$699.99 AR

Plus you get a gift card for 10% of your total purchase... which would amount to $84.99. Plus some other stuff.

I think I'm going to hop on it, but I wanted to bounce it off the more knowledgeable folk around here... get opinions on the deal, the lens and such - since I am new to the SLR arena.

So let's hear it.... anyone?

:p

By the way, the * means, "Offer expires December 3rd. Offer valid only on in-store purcahses."

Attachments

• d50_deal.jpg
    d50_deal.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 193

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
haven't shot with one yet, but after reading numerous reviews online- seems like one heck of a camera... though you might want to find a kit with a nikon lens? will you actually use the printer?

sometimes those bundles have items you just don't need... something to think about

but yes- excellent camera- small though- might want to go see one in person if possible first- it's def way smaller than a D70

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
I've looked at the dpreview of the d50, in comparison to the 350d and d70. The entry price point of the d50 (at this range) is much more comfortable than either of those two cameras. I'd prefer a higher megapixel count... but 6 should cut it. :p

I will use the printer, if not so much for this camera, for the P&S canon I just bought for household use. We take a lot of photos everyday around the house, pictures of me, pictures of her, pictures of water-heaters... it'd be nice to print and hang them on the fridge. So yes, I'll definately use the printer.

The question, I had more exactly was about the lens. SLR folk really have a language all their own... one that I cannot comprehend. I understand that this lens is not the 18-55mm lens that I think usually comes in the "D50 kit" but as a telephoto lens it might be a little more capable.

I'd like to skip the "bad" 18-55 lens.. and get a more capable lens in this 28-300, but I'm not sure that's happening or not. I just don't know the difference.

Any advice that could be provided would be great. I'd like at least one fairly decent telephoto lens and a wide-angle lens. Recommendations and opnions always welcome.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
cr2sh said:
I'd like to skip the "bad" 18-55 lens.. and get a more capable lens in this 28-300, but I'm not sure that's happening or not. I just don't know the difference.

Any advice that could be provided would be great. I'd like at least one fairly decent telephoto lens and a wide-angle lens. Recommendations and opnions always welcome.

Commonly speaking, having a wide range of length like that (28-300) is not going to give you as solid of results as a 28-70 + 70-300, or better yet a 28-70, 70-200, 300p or something. Those latter options obviously cost more, just information. I just saw someone walk out of a store here on Black Friday with a 50-500!! :eek: lens for a Canon mount, I was appalled :rolleyes:

The Nikon 18-70 DX lens is really a great piece. I have one on my D70 and it works very well and has excellent build quality and feel. It isn't the fastest lens ever, but it did everything I wanted. If you price out each item in that kit, so what you are getting at what costs, and then move forward from them. If you are ebay savvy you can always sell that lens before you use it and then put that money (and savings it allowed you in the kit) towards a lens that better suits your specific needs. That said, this lens will probably work fine, although all of your 'around the house' shots will still need to come from your P&S unless you pick up a nice flash....3.5 indoor is usually just to dark (and that's at your wide angle, tele is worse).

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
cr2sh said:
I've looked at the dpreview of the d50, in comparison to the 350d and d70. The entry price point of the d50 (at this range) is much more comfortable than either of those two cameras. I'd prefer a higher megapixel count... but 6 should cut it. :p

What really matters is the sensor quality, which in the D50 is very good. Pixel count, in typical consumer and pro level cameras is a really weak measurement of how good the camera really is...here's a good read on the principles involved:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
OutThere said:
What really matters is the sensor quality, which in the D50 is very good. Pixel count, in typical consumer and pro level cameras is a really weak measurement of how good the camera really is...here's a good read on the principles involved:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

Indeed. Thanks for the link.

I understand that the sensor size and quality is really where it counts, and I didn't intend that comment as an ignorant "I need more megapixels" as much as admitting one benefit perhaps of the 350D.

The D50 is a smaller camera than the D70, but it's a much larger camera than the G2 I'm used to shooting with. Again, I want to wade into SLR... not dive in. I prefer the D70 in all ways, except price. :)

efoto, your wisdom is exactly what I'm looking for. I appreciate the advice very much.

----

Edit.: Looking on ebay... that lens sells at about $250. So I could hock it and be at the body only price of $449, plus a free printer. :)

I could use the lens this week and see how I like it.. sell it and upgrade down the road.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
cr2sh said:
efoto, your wisdom is exactly what I'm looking for. I appreciate the advice very much.

----

Edit.: Looking on ebay... that lens sells at about $250. So I could hock it and be at the body only price of $449, plus a free printer. :)

I could use the lens this week and see how I like it.. sell it and upgrade down the road.

Thanks :eek: Not sure I would have used to term wisdom, but thanks.

Take a look online (ebay) for the D70 in personalized 'kits' here and there. I just sold my D70 on ebay recently along with a few lenses I made into a package deal. As I was selling, I noticed a lot of others doing the same, some even new unopened D70 bodies, if you are interested in new vs. used.

I will just mention that Canon is running a stackable rebate through the new year (into Jan. actually) which is pretty nice. Check it out here to see what is eligible. $75 back on Rebel XT, and then you can stack that up to $225 if you get other stuff.

Anyway, I loved my D70 so I'm not hating on that either. I had the 18-70 DX which was a great all-around/walk-around lens, a 70-300 that I never used, and a couple of 50 primes which were especially fun in super-macro when backed up together :)
Browse around and read up, I'm sure you can find something. If that printer won't be used/utilized that much, you could always sell that too and get an even cheaper body ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.