Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2013
UK
He says that the phone was about 70% full (which seemed surprising to me after a full day of use, but I haven’t had an iPhone since the 5s so battery life may have improved and he was out with a friend tonight, so wouldn’t have been using it as much as usual.) He plugged in the charger as he likes a full battery when he’s got work, and as the charger went in the phone went off and it has been unresponsive since. I’ve dug out a genuine Apple wall plug and charging cable and put it on those, and have so far been scouring YouTube/Google. Vol up, vol down and hold power until restart has failed.

I will be trying recovery mode while connected to the computer with the supplied USB-C lightening cable shortly. I plugged it in earlier and iTunes didn’t detect anything, but I didn’t know the button sequence at that time. I also have ReiBoot to try courtesy of YouTube, but was just wondering if there was anything else members would suggest.

I can’t see anything red where the water indicator would be, but cannot see in the charging port at all on the Midnight SE. It sounds to me as though he may have clicked an ad that he shouldn’t just prior to going to plug the phone in. There are no banking apps or anything on the phone thankfully.

If it’s an Apple Store visit he won’t be able to go until Saturday. I could go sooner but I’m not sure if Apple would allow this as it’s not my phone. Does anyone know?

Thanks for any help

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2013
UK
Windows. Relatively recently updated as although he likes his connection marked as metered to prevent automatic updates which made the previous machine intolerable, a recent router replacement by the ISP meant that an update occurred.

After using ReiBoot the phone did respond although I wasn’t able to complete the steps with it that YouTubers suggest are free, as it wanted me to register, pay or perhaps both. I have installed 16.3.1 OTA, as the computer seemed to get stuck during the preparing stage.

Hoping he doesn’t get any more problems with it…

avalon68

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2015
He says that the phone was about 70% full (which seemed surprising to me after a full day of use, but I haven’t had an iPhone since the 5s so battery life may have improved and he was out with a friend tonight, so wouldn’t have been using it as much as usual.) He plugged in the charger as he likes a full battery when he’s got work, and as the charger went in the phone went off and it has been unresponsive since. I’ve dug out a genuine Apple wall plug and charging cable and put it on those, and have so far been scouring YouTube/Google. Vol up, vol down and hold power until restart has failed.

I will be trying recovery mode while connected to the computer with the supplied USB-C lightening cable shortly. I plugged it in earlier and iTunes didn’t detect anything, but I didn’t know the button sequence at that time. I also have ReiBoot to try courtesy of YouTube, but was just wondering if there was anything else members would suggest.

I can’t see anything red where the water indicator would be, but cannot see in the charging port at all on the Midnight SE. It sounds to me as though he may have clicked an ad that he shouldn’t just prior to going to plug the phone in. There are no banking apps or anything on the phone thankfully.

If it’s an Apple Store visit he won’t be able to go until Saturday. I could go sooner but I’m not sure if Apple would allow this as it’s not my phone. Does anyone know?

Thanks for any help
This exact same thing happened to me last night. 70% battery too when I eventually got it back on. I ended up being late for work as my alarms didnt go off, then it took ages to get it to turn back on. Never really noticed issues prior to this, but now I feel I cant trust the phone as an alarm anymore. Does anyone know what causes this shutdown? Phone was plugged in overnight as usual, with apple cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.