Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leonardbrit

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 23, 2023
Hi - first time poster and not an OBS expert. Several years ago, I moved into our school's library/tv production position. We broadcast two live shows each day. Our IT Dept. set up the OBS at the beginning of my tenure, and they will update it and tweak it as needed, but one thing has plagued all year. Our designated Camera 2 loses its signal at least once a week during one of the broadcasts. Our student staff has learned how to transition to one camera mid-show when this happens, but would love for this to be remedied. Most of the time, once the computer is restarted, the Camera 2 signal will return immediately or the next day.

I know you are going to need more information (please know I will probably be lost on very technical jargon), but for now, we use two Canon Vixia HFG50 cameras to live stream. We also record both shows because one them is used each day for the lower grade to view during homeroom. IT initially thought it was the camera, so we replaced it several months ago, but it still kept happening, and we also replaced the cables.

Then it was thought that the cables had microtears or the connectors were bad. So, we bought a third set of new cables with adapters that now let us angle our cables better to avoid microtears. This did not remedy it. We still lose the signal at least once a week, twice this week.

We have a 2-year old Dell tower, and we keep the OBS updated.

I've perused the forum a bit, but I haven't found anything related to our issue.

Any assistance would be valued. I don't have a log file because we had to restart to get ready for the next live show, but I will post one the next time it happens. But, any general thoughts?

Thank you!

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hi - first time poster and not an OBS expert. Several years ago, I moved into our school's library/tv production position. We broadcast two live shows each day. Our IT Dept. set up the OBS at the beginning of my tenure, and they will update it and tweak it as needed, but one thing has plagued all year. Our designated Camera 2 loses its signal at least once a week during one of the broadcasts. Our student staff has learned how to transition to one camera mid-show when this happens, but would love for this to be remedied. Most of the time, once the computer is restarted, the Camera 2 signal will return immediately or the next day.

I know you are going to need more information (please know I will probably be lost on very technical jargon), but for now, we use two Canon Vixia HFG50 cameras to live stream. We also record both shows because one them is used each day for the lower grade to view during homeroom. IT initially thought it was the camera, so we replaced it several months ago, but it still kept happening, and we also replaced the cables.

Then it was thought that the cables had microtears or the connectors were bad. So, we bought a third set of new cables with adapters that now let us angle our cables better to avoid microtears. This did not remedy it. We still lose the signal at least once a week, twice this week.

We have a 2-year old Dell tower, and we keep the OBS updated.

I've perused the forum a bit, but I haven't found anything related to our issue.

Any assistance would be valued. I don't have a log file because we had to restart to get ready for the next live show, but I will post one the next time it happens. But, any general thoughts?

Thank you!

Canyon explain how the cameras are connected and what, if any, other hardware is in the configuration? How do you switch between cameras? Are you using any switcher hardware?

I would suspect that there's an issue with the connectivity. We have experienced a similar issue with one (of 3) cameras dropping out of our livestream setup and it's always related an issue with that camera's connectivity to the set up... giving more information about how you're set up should allow us to offer help.

Reactions: leonardbrit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.