Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Albuquerque New Mexico
The Folded Paper
Stats as of Friday, February 21, 2003 1:49:25 AM

We have 98 members, of which 10 were active.
Total Production: 44 WU's (1052.2 pts)
Average Points per WU: 23.91
Estimated crunching power: 112.5 Ghz !!!! (based on recent average production, assuming 8 points / day / Mhz)

We didn't pass any teams today therefore we are still in 37th place
We will be passed by LITTLEWHITEDOG in 5.16 days that would be roughly: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 5:39:49 AM
We will be passed by MSU_ACM in 5.84 days that would be roughly: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 9:59:01 PM
We will be passed by Team MacNN in 22.26 days that would be roughly: Saturday, March 15, 2003 8:03:49 AM

Expected date to reach 200k: Thursday, June 05, 2003 7:40:41 PM

The Folding Freaks: (Most Points)
1st mc68k with 405.1pts
2nd Rower_CPU with 118.5pts
3rd Springs_Can_Sing with 23.6pts

Most WU's:
1st mc68k with 17 WUs
2nd Rower_CPU with 4 WUs
3rd CountZero with 1 WUs

Movers and shakers:
mc68k passed the 46000 point milestone!
CountZero moved up 1 slot (bousozoku2 got passed) for 9th place
Chad4Mac moved up 1 slot (Rower_CPU got passed) for 20th place
Hemingray moved up 2 slots to 44th place
Xerov moved up 3 slots to 45th place
Springs_Can_Sing moved up 4 slots to 48th place
howard moved up 5 slots to 54th place

Link to team stats page
Link of the day:Hungry?
Get Smart!:Word of the day

Notes:
Just thought i'd show ya a little of what I post daily for the LWD team, I have to admit your team has a couple of oddities that threw off my formulas... like duplicate names for a couple of crunchers, very very odd...

Enjoy,
Toasty

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Daily stats ... LWD style

Originally posted by Toast
<snip>
Chad4Mac moved up 1 slot (Rower_CPU got passed) for 20th place
<snip>

I read this and did a double-take...

I'm in 2nd place, Toasty, and not in ANY danger of being passed in the foreseeable future. ;)

That said, you guys have stepped up the output to an amazing degree. Good job! Now tell us your secret...:p

Toast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Albuquerque New Mexico
Heh, your team did some rather unpleasant things to my code as i attempted to run your stats, the fact you have a couple of identically named members messed me up, and I really don't think my code ever really recovered... lol

As far as what we did to improve our folding rate, it has been a combination of things that we have done to keep people's interest and to continue to grow.
My daily stats (which generally work much better than they did today) helps people keep up with where things are, and where they're going ... interacting with other teams keeps things fun ... and maintaining a positive yet competitive environment has been key.

It looks like your team used to be much more active than they are now, you've got plenty of members, but not really many active members, we've got 87 total, w/ 30 active and we're grumbling about the 57 that aren't active ... loll...

Of course you all are welcome to join us in our forumsLittle White Dog Forums stop by as often as you like, we don't bite ... not hard anyway...

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
completely irrelevant but it just occured to me that I might have been the first one to officially suggest folding and SETI MR teams on these forums...I did a quick search and it does seem like it unless you were all talking privately about it before...pity I'm so low down in the rankings :)...

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Hey guys, Just decided to join the Folding@Home team, I used to be a Seti processor but I haven't bothered putting it on my powerbook since i rebuilt it but this time I have gone for folding@home.

Probably wont be much good to the team, but every little helps!

Ensign

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Welcome back Ensign! :) It'll be nice to see you doing something with the computer that doesn't involve space <ducks>. :D

Toast:

But I'm (bousozoku2) back up to 9th with about 7.5 points leeway. :D I'm sure I'll hold onto that lead a long time. :D

Glad we could help you test your code. Anything else we can do to help? :)

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
wow, very pleasant surprise Paris.

very glad to have you aboard. :)

we really do need all the help we can get at this point.

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
I recently joined with my 366mhz iBook. Not exactly a super-computer, but it should help out a little bit. Once I get my new Dual 1.25 or 1.42 this summer I might be a little more productive, but until then my iBook will be Folding overtime. :)

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
welcome to the folding team pepeleuepe! every computer helps, even more than you might think!

boskie

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
Just got my works PC mail server folding :D. Convinced them to purchase a new adsl modem/router (Netgear DG814) and then i can get another 8 PC's to do our work!!!

I got an iMac DV 400 & a Beige G3 466 both folding on Jag and loving it!

stromie952

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2002
Rochester, NY
As you might have been able to tell from my thread about background folding operation, I have started to fold again.

As of now, I have my 1Ghz iMac working fine.

I am working on getting a 733Mhz working correctly at the computer lab where I work at college and I might, *might*, be able to get some more machines working on it.

Don't bet on it, but it is a *slight* possibility.

Just to make sure, while folding, if the machine isn't asleep, there is no additional power consumption. And also while it is running, there should be no degredation in speed because of it because of its priority. If I am correct on these assumptions, please tell me, for this info is fairly important if I have a chance of getting more computers. Either way ;)

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Where do I get the folding software for either PC or Mac? I don't know anything about it.. someone give me a link, I'd like to get involved. Thanks.

Also, what type of machines you running Rower to accomplish these numbers? The other guys?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by cr2sh
Where do I get the folding software for either PC or Mac? I don't know anything about it.. someone give me a link, I'd like to get involved. Thanks.
folding.stanford.edu/download.html

there's console and graphical for both mac and PC. console is more flexible but requires more effort. graphical is easy but isn't as flexible.

glad you want to join the team. feel free to ask any questions you want.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
#of polygons per atom.. is there advantage or method to this, one way or the other? does it matter?

Also, I downloaded the console.. this runs nonstop in the background? If I want to download it onto some pc's, can I use the same ID? thanks.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by cr2sh
#of polygons per atom.. is there advantage or method to this, one way or the other? does it matter?
if you're talking about display options then no, not really.

the display really takes up cycles for displaying video that could be used for folding. it's really just personal preference w/the polygons. try to keep the application hidden for beter results.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by stromie952
Just to make sure, while folding, if the machine isn't asleep, there is no additional power consumption.
well the proc will be running 100% if the machine is not asleep regardless, so there will be more power consumption.

And also while it is running, there should be no degredation in speed because of it because of its priority.
correct

…for this info is fairly important if I have a chance of getting more computers. Either way ;)
u could always take one for the team. :) but seriously, thanks for your concern.

stromie952

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2002
Rochester, NY
mc68k:

I was asking these questions because I work at a computer lab at school and was trying to gather information so I could talk to the lab admin to maybe get some/all of the lab machines running on folding. But, like I said before, there is only a slight chance, but I will try nonetheless.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by stromie952
mc68k:

You meant No more power consumption if it isn't sleeping, correct?
no more power consumption if it is sleeping.

folding will strive to run the host computer at 100% processor all the time. so compared to the same computer without folding that prob on average only uses ~15% or so, then it is a large increase in power comparitively. but it's mostly just the processor that's invlolved in the computation, so your only looking at an increase in 10s of watts depending on the processor.

But, like I said before, there is only a slight chance, but I will try nonetheless.
you're doing your best and it's appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.