Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
So I have a Digi002 Console with an external firewire drive from OWC. Currently, I'm connected as follows:

MacBook > Digi002 > HD - all via FW400. When I get my 2nd drive this week, I'm planning on connecting this way:

MacBook > HD1 via FW400 > HD2 via FW800 > Digi002 via FW400.

My theory is that it's better to have the drives connected to the computer rather than the interface in case the interface fails - which seems to be more likely than a drive failing. Digidesign has recommended both setups at different times over the past few years.

Any thoughts?

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
The 2nd drive will serve as a backup drive for the first one. Pro Tools won't be allocating audio from it (unless of course drive 1 dies). Been doing a lot of contracted tracking and mixing and having the backup has been a necessity.

Originally, I used the internal drive on my PowerMac (I had a 2nd, dedicated audio drive) and I used the external as a backup. However, because my MacBook smokes the tower, I'm selling it and am going to use a 2nd drive as my backup.

I've used the drive both ways (drive > Digi; Digi > drive). Just wanted to see what opinions were for other interfaces outside of Digidesign.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
these are the two that jump out at me. if it were me, i'd try the following two setups and see if one worked better than the other:

Code:
mac -> 002 -(fw1)-> audio drive
002 -(fw2)-> backup drive
Code:
mac -> audio drive -> 002 -> backup drive

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Unfortunately, my second drive was defective (damn power supplies). So I'll have to test that out this week.

I think the 2nd one would work better - Mac > Audio Drive > 002 > backup drive - mainly because I've had a few issues of the audio drive unmounting when the 002 validates.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
M-Audio recommends their audio devices be last in a firewire chain. But I've heard many arguments on both sides about this one.

jojobach

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2004
Portugal
Hi!

I have a related doubt. I'm waiting for my new Motu Traveler to arrive and I own two USB 2.0 HDs (one 2.5 and one 3.5). I have an iBook 14" (1.2 GHz and 768 MB RAM).

I was thinking about buying a Firewire enclosure, because I need one of them to be my audio drive. However, I wonder if I should stick to USB. I know firewire is better for this kind of stuff, but I wonder if connecting the Motu Traveler in a daisy chain would stall the Motu or the HD. (I only have one Firewire port - 400.)

Any opinions on this subject?

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
USB 2.0 is fine for up to 24bit/96kHz stereo (two channel) recording. Any more tracks or higher sample rate than that, and you might have problems.

As long as the drive in the enclosure is at least a 7200rpm drive, that is.

jojobach

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2004
Portugal
Well, one of the drives is 7200 RPM (3.5"), the other is 5400 RPM (2.5"). I will need to record 8 channels at once. The sample rate might go up to 24bit/192kHz, but I'll stick to 96kHz if I have to.

So, should I buy a Firewire enclosure? And if I do, when I daisy chain the drive and the audio interface (Motu Traveler) will the bus be too overloaded?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.