Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krappamc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
hey guys.
i currently own 12" pb and is looking to upgrade to 15" because i do video work.
the reason i want to upgrade is that 15" does have FW 800 AND FW 400 which i can plug in my ext hd (FW800/400) and camcorder into.
But, i want to ask you guys that, if i do daisy chain camcorder and hard drive into the FW 400 port, could i be dropping a lot of frames?
or, would it be perfectly fine to daisychain?

please give me detailed answer asap because i am about to sell off my 12" pb!!

thank you guys! :D

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
When I tried this with my 17" before I had the FW800 drive, FCP reported dropped frames on capture, but seemed perfectly happy to allow the capture to continue, and I can't say I noticed the missing frames in the footage.

I used a Maxtor 7200rpm 100gig drive and a Sony handicam, one of the early 1 megapixel models.

It didn't seem to affect the overall performance of the video, which I edited without problems.

The FW800 drive reports no dropped frames at all.

Hope this helps.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Probably not a good idea to daisychain in this particular configuration, especially with the 12" PB. The 15" and 17" have a PC Card which you should install a 2nd firewire port for this very reason.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Lacero said:
Probably not a good idea to daisychain in this particular configuration, especially with the 12" PB. The 15" and 17" have a PC Card which you should install a 2nd firewire port for this very reason.

Both the 15 and 17 have a second port, it's the FW800 port, perfect for audio and video applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.