Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carinananana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2019
hello Everyone ! I'm new here. I wiped quite intensively the back camera panel of my XS Max, but just once, with the wet tissues for glasses which contain alcohol and cannot be used for LCD screens. I know the panel is not LCD, but I mention it to give a hint of what sort of wipes these could be. I look at my phone now and I see that the middle eye of the pannel,which is a flash, I believe, is matte. I don't know, do you all have this flash surface different from the two others ? i mean more matte like ? is it just the way it is originally due to some sort of anti-reflex layer on it ? or is it so because I damaged it with this alcohol containing wipes ? Also,I really would like to know is the anti-reflex layer on the outside of the flash or on the inside of it ? and the very last issue, damage of which I suspect myself, would impact how the quality of the functioning of my iphone camera ? many warm greetings, so sorry for bothering, but please give me all on that subject. Carina

carinananana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2019
thank you, I am not planning to do this ever again, but anyone else could please answer my other questions ?

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
thank you, I am not planning to do this ever again, but anyone else could please answer my other questions ?
The flash on my 7 plus is matte on the inside. I think it's the diffused circles. I'd say this is probably normal.

Last edited:

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Both sides of the phone have an oleophobic coating, which wears off with regular use and may be damaged by abrasives, including alcohol. What I suggest you do, for the future, is put a clear case on the phone and a screen protector on the phone - then you can wipe it up and down from side to side without damaging your phone.

With that said, what I understood from your post is that you wiped the camera housing? And that the flash is matte?

If that's the case, yes indeed it is matte.

carinananana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2019
The flash on my 7 plus is matte on the inside. I think it's the diffused circles. I'd say this is probably normal.
thank you, :)
[automerge]1573499267[/automerge]
Both sides of the phone have an oleophobic coating, which wears off with regular use and may be damaged by abrasives, including alcohol. What I suggest you do, for the future, is put a clear case on the phone and a screen protector on the phone - then you can wipe it up and down from side to side without damaging your phone.

With that said, what I understood from your post is that you wiped the camera housing? And that the flash is matte?

If that's the case, yes indeed it is matte.
oh,thank you for your response, :) so, just to make sure, if I got you right - you say that all the flashes are factory made matte and that I have a good impression, but this is probably how it was by design originally, yes ? in that case, you've put my mind in ease. so the only outside layer on the camera and flash housing is the oleophobic one, right ? the other optical, anti-reflex or what so not are on the inside. Am I right ?

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Treat the lenses like those on a regular camera. Never use alcohol, abrasives or soap. Mineral water is safe and a soft microfiber cloth is OK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.