Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMac26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2021
Hi there,

I seem to have damaged the headphone jack on my Early 2015 Macbook Pro. The right side works fine, but the left side only outputs white noise and none of the actual signal at all. I've tried multiple cables and different sources (spotify, youtube etc). It's definitely an issue with the jack.

Has anyone had this issue before?

I also happen to have a Macbook Pro of the same model, which was water damaged and I no longer use. It powers on but the screen appears cracked when it turns on. Would it be possible to exchange the headphone jacks? Or would this be too risky and potentially damage my laptop further?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

J

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Have you looked in the jack with a light? It could be as simple as having some lint or fluff stuff in the port.

JMac26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2021
Have you looked in the jack with a light? It could be as simple as having some lint or fluff stuff in the port.
Yes i've shone a torch in there and can't see any dust / fluff in there, have tried digging around a bit with a small screwdriver in case it was dirt buildup but nothing is coming out. Fairly certain the jack is damaged as it's actually outputting consistent white noise instead of the audio signal i'm playing

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised to find that "replacing the headphone jack" could end up being an EXPENSIVE repair.

I'd start investigating "work-around" solutions.

You might consider a USB digital-to-analog converter box/dongle, into which you could plug your headphones. These are cheap and plentiful.

JMac26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2021
I wouldn't be surprised to find that "replacing the headphone jack" could end up being an EXPENSIVE repair.

I'd start investigating "work-around" solutions.

You might consider a USB digital-to-analog converter box/dongle, into which you could plug your headphones. These are cheap and plentiful.
Yes I think you're right it could be expensive. I do have the laptop insured so potentially can get it paid for by the insurance.

I have an audio interface I could use but I work in live sound so being able to quickly send a test signal from my laptop without having to set up an interface is pretty important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.